Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: For those of you that are interested
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Allan
Since some of you have expressed an interest I thought I would share a few pictures of where I will end up.

Go here and let me know what you think.

I have been to most of the places and yes, it is as nice as it looks.
Jerry
Uhhh........I only see one tiny photo!!!!! And, I will gladly garage and watch over your 6 while you are in Turkey!!!!!! Ok, it's ok now, apparently you fixed it while I was posting!!!!!!!!!!
jasons
Careful with the coffee and don't take the Midnight Express.

Looks Nice BTW!
drewvw

looks pretty nice...are you moving over there indefinitely? I'm too recent to know the details sorry....
rick 918-S
Wow Allen, Very nice. Thanks for posting those. If you manage to get your car over there, you'll have a great time in it. Best of luck to you. I hope you can find a way to keep it.
Allan
QUOTE(drewvw @ Apr 14 2006, 12:36 PM) *

looks pretty nice...are you moving over there indefinitely? I'm too recent to know the details sorry....

The plan is a permanent relocation.
drewvw

wow thats a bold move, I like it....
Elliot_Cannon
It looks great. But can you get a good cheese burger there?

Cheers, Elliot
STL914
Ya may want to stay clear of those Turkish baths though. biggrin.gif

Do you speak the language?
Joe Bob
So what ya gonna do? Or what will the Turks let an infidel like YOU do? Computer geek to the expats? Sell yer booty on the street corner...retire and be the Dad?

C'mon...spill..... WTF.gif
obscurity
The entire middle east is filled with some beautiful places. Some if the Architecure is absolutely incredible. There are untouched castle ruins to explore(very few tourists) and Roman ruins. The food is pretty good too. I've never been to Turkey but it is certainly on my list.

You have probably already covered this but if you don't mind me asking whats taking you to Turkey
Howard
When's the Open House? jsharp.gif
Allan
Since a few of you have asked, here's the skinny: When my wife and I first left Turkey and moved to the U.S. in 1991, I always left the door open for a return if certain goals were achieved, both academically and financially. About 3 years ago it started to look like those goals were being met so we started to seriously consider the move. One of the obstacles was my daughter. She of course didn't want anything to do with leaving. We didn't push her and decided to let her decide when the time was right.

We'll, she has decided that it's time.

My son is about the only family I still have here and he is married and has become a pretty successful instrumentation tech. so he's busy. My wife has all of her family there and really hasen't spent very much time with them over the last 15 years and here parents are getting older, so I think it's time for us to spend some time with them.

As for what I'll do?

A few possibilities, one is to teach at one of the language institutes, one is to work for one of the many U.S. firms there, another is to start a business (I really want to open a sports bar & grill), and the last one is to just retire.

I'm going to just play it by ear for awhile and see how things pan out.
drewvw

that's pretty sweet....just going with the flow. Best of luck to you!

beer.gif
Joe Bob
"Joe Bob's Falafels, Hot Dogs and Brews"

Allan
QUOTE(! @ Apr 14 2006, 01:32 PM) *

Gotta teach the Turks the fine points of NASCAR and Rasslin... biggrin.gif
Sammy
I dunno, but it looks to me like that place is chock full of furriners blink.gif poke.gif
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(Headrage @ Apr 14 2006, 01:35 PM) *

QUOTE(! @ Apr 14 2006, 01:32 PM) *

reminds me of the monty python skit where the translations were messed up on purpose

biggrin.gif
Gustl
QUOTE(Headrage @ Apr 14 2006, 10:35 PM) *

there is a Formula 1 world championchip race on 27 August (Istanbul)
and
there is a Rallye world championchip race weekend from 13-15 Octobre (http://www.wrcturkey.com/)

wavey.gif Gustl
Allan
there is a Formula 1 world championchip race on 27 August (Istanbul)
and
there is a Rallye world championchip race weekend from 13-15 Octobre (http://www.wrcturkey.com/)

wavey.gif Gustl
[/quote]

I'm hoping to be at both.... mueba.gif
Dr Evil
Allan,
If you open a sports bar I promise that I will come and visit you and take lots of pics drunk.gif

Beautiful Turkey
Come for the steam baths, stay for the prisons wink.gif
TimT
Turkey is way up on my places to visit list!!

Istanbul or Constantinople laugh.gif laugh.gif
SLITS
Hell, we can even make Bakersfield look good with promo pictures....

We wanna see the real stuff....Home Movies.....

(Some of that Turkish Black would be really good...hint, hint)
Dr. Roger
QUOTE(SLITS @ Apr 14 2006, 03:13 PM) *

Hell, we can even make Bakersfield look good with promo pictures....
We wanna see the real stuff....Home Movies.....
(Some of that Turkish Black would be really good...hint, hint)

i think that turkish black helped sluff off some of my old and weak brain cells to let new un-used brain cells take over .... LOL

i've got a few friends build a Yurt at Burning Man this year. I'm curious to see how it comes out.

IPB Image
dekman
Allen, if you are going to be there forever, I still like the idea of shipping your car to you piece by piece. And the body could be put in a large container of coffee grounds...the customs would never find it. ar15.gif
Allan
QUOTE(dekman @ Apr 14 2006, 03:54 PM) *

Allen, if you are going to be there forever, I still like the idea of shipping your car to you piece by piece. And the body could be put in a large container of coffee grounds...the customs would never find it. ar15.gif

The problem with sending the car piece by piece is that they have some pretty stiff tariffs on car parts coming from the U.S.

I'd end up spending 100k by the time it was back together.

Aaron, you're still gonna help me do the 5 lug swap after I move right?
GWN7
If you open a sports bar mabey you can import the car as a decorative memorabilia for the bar?
krazykonrad
Movin on up to the east side! I dig it!
Best of luck and God bless,
Konrad 72
TROJANMAN
Allen,

Look out for these guys huh.gif
the turkish contingent ?
TINCAN914
Man Allan, I thought I was making a big move going to Colorado...But Turkey?Wow.. Good for you man, best of luck..... drunk.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.