Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: need advise on valves
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
arc914
hey all
i am in need of new exhaust valves, i see that you can get sodium filled or non sodium filled which is better and why.is it because the sod filled ones get rid of heat quicker. What are the reprocusions of using non sod filled ones.sod filled valves are more pricey than the non sod ones.
any experience out ther with non filled ones.let me know.
arc914 WTF.gif
914werke
search engine idea.gif
look here
arc914
Well don't i feel like a beginner. I think i am just as on the fence about SS valves or Sod filled.I still do not know which to buy.
There was alot of great info in this thread and i learned alot about alot-Thanks
but in the end i am on the fence.
the one thing that i do know for sure is that guides are the ket to longevity.
so all new guides is a must.
Does anyone in the thread have a NOS of guides and exhaust valves for sale for me?

Thanks again to all and there twocents
andrew
redshift
Go SS. I have seen the sodium valve explosion!

M
Brando
Stainless Steel valves ftw!
Twystd1
The valves I have are for a 1.7 NOT a 2.0

Dam... And I wanted to see ya get em...

Twystd1
Brad Roberts
What is your intended use for the car? I honestly believe this should determine what you are going to use.

I always get a big kick out of the debates:

Here is my take on it (for what it is worth)

I have yet to meet any "home engineers" that could out engineer 1 VW or Porsche engineer from 1970. They ran sodium for a reason. Most of the engines lasted 100k miles.

B
914werke
You note no one actuall answered my Q in the other thread related to the potential benefits of cryo'ing the Sodiums to overcome the explod'ing problem .
Brad Roberts
I know a LOT of T4 engine builders. Now granted.. I dont ask them about exploding sodium valves all the time, but you would *think* that I would have seen or heard of this 100+ times by now.

Lets see: They built 110k or so 4cyl cars.. X number were 2.0's..

I would like to see live examples of these "exploded" valves.

I believe that the CRYO would work.. or have them X-ray'd like Porsche Motorsports does with all of their engine rebuilds.

B
914werke
Now thats what Im sayin!
If you Mag the valves just as you would to identify a cracked head,
dump any that showed flaws or "weakness" then Cryo them, beerchug.gif
Brad hole your the voice of reason laugh.gif
MattR
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Apr 19 2006, 01:53 PM) *

I have yet to meet any "home engineers" that could out engineer 1 VW or Porsche engineer from 1970. They ran sodium for a reason. Most of the engines lasted 100k miles.

B

agree.gif

thanks for saying it Brad...
spunone
A E I O U work for me opps wrong vowels chairfall.gif
914werke
....sometimes y idea.gif
arc914
hey guys thanks for the input.i have decided to go with sod filled for my daily driver. my goal is to put my teener back to her former glory and as close to stock as can be and have dependibility.

Who has a set of new sod filled valves kicking around thier garage to sell me?
andrew driving.gif

ps what are ss valves worth?
r_towle
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Apr 19 2006, 05:59 PM) *

I know a LOT of T4 engine builders. Now granted.. I dont ask them about exploding sodium valves all the time, but you would *think* that I would have seen or heard of this 100+ times by now.

Lets see: They built 110k or so 4cyl cars.. X number were 2.0's..

I would like to see live examples of these "exploded" valves.

I believe that the CRYO would work.. or have them X-ray'd like Porsche Motorsports does with all of their engine rebuilds.

B

Glad to have you back.
Rich
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.