Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anyone have a solution to repalce the front fans?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Qarl
Thinking ahead here.

Car won't have heat exchangers, so no defrosting and no heat.

Stock fan is way weak. I'm thinking of just empting the box out and leaving it as a drain, and then just adding a couple of inline electric boat venting motors and hooking it up to a switch. This should at least blow some air at your face.... or maybe just fogo it all and leave the box as a drain and forget the fans...

I'm looking for a slick solution.

confused24.gif
East coaster
Are you trying to have some defrost capability or just trying to flow some cooling air?
ein 6er
karl,

don't know what weather conditions you plan on driving in, but i've yet to need mine, but i don't drive mine in the rain. no heat either.
Qarl
No heat... just air in the face... (especially if you have to have the top on and the windows up)
SirAndy
QUOTE(Qarl @ Apr 14 2006, 06:24 PM) *

Stock fan is way weak.

then your stock fan is not working right or not getting all the juice it deserves ...

clean that sucker up and hook it into 12V, in good working order, they push TONS of air ...

beerchug.gif Andy
JPB
You can get any kinda fan you want even a dash mounted job if you like the trucker look. If you need defrosting, you can get a 12 volt deal from Pep Boys to blow warm air on your windshield. I have no heat in mine also so the defrost thing will be a trick.

popcorn[1].gif
Qarl
This is the solution I've seen...

Just strip out the air box, place two inline blowers (see below) and hook it up to a switch on the dash.

Flip the switch... instant air!

IPB Image

Qarl
I've owned 4 914s... all had weak fans. IMHO
SirAndy
QUOTE(Qarl @ Apr 14 2006, 07:01 PM) *

I've owned 4 914s... all had weak fans. IMHO

well, i tell you what, next time you're on the west-coast, swing by and you can stick your head into my fresh air vents and i'll show you how much air a good fan can move ...
biggrin.gif Andy

PS: maybe because mine is an early car? seems like on an early car, less air is diverted into the cabin but up and towards the windshield instead.
Qarl
Might be...

No side vents I can see here.

IPB Image
East coaster
I bought a couple of different 12v defrosters to try. Once type is a 12v blow drier and fits perfectly into the heater hose. I'm going to try running one of these on each side for defrost capability. They don't throw much air, but hopefully enough to help clear a windshield. I too do not have any heat exchangers. They will fit in line with the heater tube under the cowl, so they won't be sitting on the dash (ala..trucker style).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.