street legal go-kart
Exploring the options for a friend.
Will a type 1 work?
How about a 6?
I know we can do a type 4.
Anyone do anything different?

JT
Tobra
put in the motor you have, any of the motors you mention would fit fine. How straightforward a swap does it need to be?
john rogers
912 engines tend to be really expensive if they break, much the same as a 356 engine. If it were me and I wanted to keep the 4 cylinder idea, I'd put in a 1900 CC Type 1 with a few goodies and it will last for years. I have seen several that have had the 912 top stuff such as sheetmetal on them and they were nearly indistinguishable from original. A bigger bucks option is to go with a six conversion but it'll be as bad as a 914 just about in cost. If the stock engine is okay, keep it.
lapuwali
Anything that fits in a 911 will fit in a 912, the bodyshells are the same. I know of a 912 with a small block Chevy in it, so I think just about anything can be made to fit.

I'd maybe use a Type 4. The swb cars don't like a lot of weight in the ass end. A Type 1 will work (seen it, several times), so long as you pump it up enough.
Aaron Cox
912E = injected type 4 motor smile.gif

put a 6 in der teener, put teener motor in 912...

you know a 6cyl 912 is a 911 right? biggrin.gif
Tom Perso
Do a mild 2056. My friend has a Raby 2056 in his 69 912 and it hauls ass.

That 69's are nice since they are LWB, but the lightweight bodies.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

I dig the plate... smile.gif

Tom
Joe Bob
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Apr 14 2006, 08:04 PM) *

912E = injected type 4 motor smile.gif

put a 6 in der teener, put teener motor in 912...

you know a 6cyl 912 is a 911 right? biggrin.gif

Only the VIN # gives it away...just like the 914..... dry.gif

More than a few have been done. The early 912 long hoods are getting snapped up for conversions and vintage racers...problem is....they are getting scarce....the 356 guys grab them for the motors and the racers for the bodies. They suffer the same fate as the 914...rust like a MOFO.
Aaron Cox
tom,

your friend's six inch air filters wont fit?

he still got em?

AA
Tom Perso
Aaron, I'll ask for you.

Tom
Tom Perso
QUOTE(! @ Apr 14 2006, 11:15 PM) *

suffer the same fate as the 914...rust like a MOFO.

Shaaaadup... Rust on a 912? In the Midwest?

IPB Image

IPB Image

I hate the rustbelt... dry.gif

Tom
maf914
Tom, Is that the same car that Grant put the T4 in? If so, I didn't know it was that rough to begin with. blink.gif

I remember the threads from the ShopTalk forums.
street legal go-kart
Thanks guys
He really wants a classic driver he can work on and as I can build type 1's blind and asleep,
when the 912 engine pukes we will have a real VW engine wainting in the wings.
I think I may even still have a nos turbo for 1835 sitting in the shop somewhere biggrin.gif
JT
Tom Perso
QUOTE(maf914 @ Apr 15 2006, 09:21 AM) *

Tom, Is that the same car that Grant put the T4 in? If so, I didn't know it was that rough to begin with. blink.gif

I remember the threads from the ShopTalk forums.

Yeah, that is Grant's car. I'm just pimping it over here for him. He's still got it and is awaiting to be lit off again. He just did a dry sump setup with a 911 oil tank and a CB Performance oil pump. This should be interesting...

It was rough, but where there was rust is all solid metal now.

Tom
Tom Perso
QUOTE(street legal go-kart @ Apr 15 2006, 10:27 AM) *

Thanks guys
He really wants a classic driver he can work on and as I can build type 1's blind and asleep,
when the 912 engine pukes we will have a real VW engine wainting in the wings.
I think I may even still have a nos turbo for 1835 sitting in the shop somewhere biggrin.gif
JT

Please, for the love of God - Don't put an 1835 in there. They were ticking time bombs in Bugs, much more so in a heavier 912.

Do a T4 and it'll slip right in AND handle the weight of the 912.

Tom
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.