Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shift Fork Problem? Help
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
neun14
OK, so I just got my car (a '73 1.7) back from the local mechanic, and it feels as if I no longer have 4th and 5th gears. What I mean is that I can't physically move the shift lever to the right past 2nd and 3rd. I suspect that he did (or didn't do) something to the shift fork for 4th/5th, but I'd appreciate any thoughts on how to point him in the right direction to get it fixed. Thanks!
Aaron Cox
search "shifter adjustment"
ClayPerrine
Did he work on the internal bits of the tranny? Is it a sideshifter?

If so, he has the shift forks inside misadjusted.......... BTDT! The book says to put a bigger gap between the 2/3 and 4/5 selector forks. But if you do that on a 30 year old tranny, it won't shift into 4/5. You have to adjust it the same as the gap between R/1 and 2/3.

Brad Roberts
Sounds like he has the shifter mis adjusted. Pretty easy fix if you have a 13mm socket and a racthet with a extension 3inches or longer.

Let us know if you want to adjust it yourself.

I << typically test drive everything before it rolls out.

B
neun14
This turned out to be an odd problem that may or may not have been affected by the mechanic pulling the shifter out of the transmission. In any case, 2nd/3rd wasn't springing back, which prevented the shifter from reaching 4th/5th. After driving it a couple of miles in 3rd, I was finally able to shift to 4th/5th. I'm hoping that this was caused by something like the lack of gear oil, rather than something like a faulty detent spring.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.