Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT - Audi S4
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mike_the_man
Hi all,

Not 914 related, but still German, so still good. I'm looking at an 1994 Audi S4. Seems like a real nice car. 227hp and all wheel drive from a turbo 5 cylinder. Every option you can get. It would make a great winter car and summer cruiser for long trips. I was wondering if anybody here has any experience with them? Any opinions, advice, tips? All comments welcome.

Thanks,
scottb
cousin in law (is that real?) has one. took a ride in it and it rocks. very fast when that turbo kicks in. were going 110mph down 91 in hartford and it felt like it was standing still. he has had no problems with the car and really is happy with it. his is a 2000 i believe.

he also has an s8... next time.....we see what that one does..... aktion035.gif
Dman
No expirience with the S besides drooling on one at the dealership, but I love my 2.8 A4. smile.gif

Great freeway and snow car, not as stiff as my freinds BMW 328 but I am working on getting a spring kit to help that. It's stock and had a lot of understeer when I autocrossed it last year.
Rockaria
My Partents have gone through two of them. They seem to need replacing as often as every 275,000 miles. Damn German Cars!

wink.gif

My partents do a 200 mile commute every day and put hard miles on cars. I swear the last Audi S4 they had read 275,000 plus before they sold it. From what I could tell it just kept goin. Was super quick and powerful and was very comfortable to drive.

One time on a trip a 944 turbo passed us quickly on a two lane road. I was in the front, my mom in the back and my dad was driving. We were doing 70 at the time. He looked at me and smiled as he proceeded to speed up and pass the tubo. My mom looked up and screamed at my dad. We still smile about that day in the Turbo Quattro.
mike_the_man
Christopher,

What years of S4's have your parents had? Seems to be a pretty big difference between the newer ones (bi-turbos) and the older ones (URS4). Did they ever have any major problems? This one has kinda high mileage, 170,000kms, but it sounds like they go forever.

Thanks,
Scott Carlberg
Try looking here for more info:

www.urs4.com/
The Ultimate Audi S4/S6 Resource! This site is for owners & enthusiasts of the
'92-'97 Audi S4/S6 quattro. AUDI S4/S6 FAQ ...

these guys were featured in European Car:
www.audifans.com/
914werke
Yep. I currently own an 95.5 S6 Avant. 2nd of such. I owned 95 Sedan just prior which I settled on after not finding the Avant. When this came up I jumped on it.
Its a SWEEET car. Boost is a wonderfull thing.
The UrQuattros (C4 chassi) are a little bigger (read roomier) than the 96 -> B4 cars.
If POWER is you game look no further ...The car is capable of 380HP with Chip and bolt-ons (ALA European RS2 which had same eng. in the 80/90 chassi).
I have already started along the Audi/Porsche transformation route with mine.
Maintenance is normal for a near 10yr old car. Electronics tend to high on the list because the cars came with every avail. gadget.
Avants are a little more expensive because they are rarer (mine evan more so in Torranado Red!!!!) Main differances between yrs. Early cars had trans issues be cautious, mid 95 the manual diff lock was dropped for EDL.
if you find a well maintained car (with RECORDS!) with 100K+ miles dont think twice, they are just clearing thier throats. aktion035.gif
campbellcj
I am not familiar at all with the early versions, but I have a 2000 (B4?) 6-speed and absolutely love it. I got it used with 9K miles in December 2001, in completely pristine condition. It basically still is, now at 34K miles.

I had a few early problems -- a coolant temp sender, water pump, and intake hose had to be replaced under warranty. But overall it still feels very solid and has been a trustworthy and fun daily-driver for my 50 mile round-trip daily commute thru Malibu.

I have seen the new B5 V8 car and am not sure I like it's styling details, although I do like the regular B5 A4's looks.

If I had the bucks, I would vote for the RS6 as my 'ultimate commuter vehicle'.
Rockaria
QUOTE(mike_the_man @ Sep 17 2003, 05:07 PM)
Christopher,

What years of S4's have your parents had? Seems to be a pretty big difference between the newer ones (bi-turbos) and the older ones (URS4). Did they ever have any major problems? This one has kinda high mileage, 170,000kms, but it sounds like they go forever.

Thanks,

Hello,

Sorry for the delay... The first one was actually a 5000cs Turbo Quattro. It was an 86. The second was the S4. It was a 93. I think the only major problem was a bent driveshaft on the 5000. The S4 seemed to just keep working with only small things like trim and window/electrical things that were easy to fix.

Take care,
914werke
Thought Id just throw this out there (just wash & wax rolleyes.gif )
Enjoy ..I do!
My DD is a 2004 S4 Avant …great car overall with the exception of a few items that I felt should have not gone south the first two years of new car owner ship.
I have my windows tinted all around and virtually used the window down 30 + times …Two window regulators went it / malfunction  Thank goodness warranty took care of them….at times I wonder if they use VW parts in the Audi as they come from the same parent company
r_towle
A4 motors are 150k-200k motors.
Transmissions are sealed...I dont like that.
Turbos die at just around 125k and need to be replaced.
1k per turbo, plus labor is a safe number to use.

Rich
Cap'n Krusty
I service a couple of Ur S4s (C4 chassis). Completely different animal from the B4 S4s, which are built on the A4 model chassis. The 93-95 cars are big, fast, and serious high speed cruisers, but they're pretty nice around town, too, and they don't have the electronic complexity of the newer cars. The 94/95s are better because they solved an issue with the first gear, but a lot of folks like the trim better in the 93s. It's likely most 93s have had the tranny replaced, anyway. One of the cars I service makes nearly 500 HP at the rear wheels, and handles like the ones that kicked so much butt in the ALMS sedan series (whatever it was called). Stock ones are scary reliable. However, they're old cars, and the expectation of prolonged trouble free ownership would be in error.

The Cap'n
r_towle
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jun 17 2011, 09:57 AM) *

However, they're old cars, and the expectation of prolonged trouble free ownership would be in error.

The Cap'n

My new favorite quote...and it applies to most any car, some more than others.

Rich
jcd914
QUOTE(ishie @ Jun 17 2011, 12:05 AM) *

are you done with this one? can you help me find parts for my s4? confused24.gif my uncle gave me this. any help is appreciated. thanks a lot!

What year and what parts are you looking for.

www.audifans.com/ has a classified section that I have found useful.

I currently have a 93 URS4 and a 96 A6 (both C4 chasiss) and have had several other Audi's.
My 93 URS4 currently has ab ignition coil problem and I have ot yet sorted out which of the 5 coils it is.
Other issues I had a cooling fan that desintrgrated in nevada taking out my radiator and have some eletrical issues from sitting for a few years.
Actually planning on working on it this weekend, been considering it as transit to WCR.

Jim
Drums66
....real cool rides! & under rated,(probably my next toy) idea.gif
bye1.gif (Porsche/Audi)A-4
JmuRiz
QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ Sep 27 2003, 10:09 PM) *

Thought Id just throw this out there (just wash & wax rolleyes.gif )
Enjoy ..I do!

Drool-worthy in my eyes.

I love the UR-S4/6 cars...and the avants...even more.
My dream family car is an RS2, ahhhhh, we can dream.

Just be sure that the UR-S4 has good documents and is PPI'd
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.