Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Andeeeeeeeeeee! (in my best Aunt Bea)
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Eric_Shea
8b) if you have the intermittend wiper relay harness, you can also run the pump off that, just extend the brown/black wire (trigger from steering column) and use it as the 12V feed for the pump.
this way, every time you pull the wiper lever towards you, you get the 4 run intermittend + fresh water!
NOTE: the brown/black wire was NOT an option on early car, '72 and later, if i'm not mistaken ...

In the 74, how would I know if I have this option. Is the relay 'always' mounted on that upright to the cowl?

Were there many with that option?

Can it be retrofitted?

I have the space-saver spare now because of the GT shroud. I'll need a way to pump wasser. I like the 70's 911 pump idea.
ClayPerrine
Buy the wiper switch assmebly for a 924. It is the same as the 914 with the intermittant contact. That contact can be wired up to run the washer pump.

Aaron Cox
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Apr 14 2006, 09:54 PM) *

Buy the wiper switch assmebly for a 924. It is the same as the 914 with the intermittant contact. That contact can be wired up to run the washer pump.

ooh. moredetails!

i went to a space saver.... so ill need a pump!
SirAndy
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Apr 14 2006, 09:38 PM) *

8b) if you have the intermittend wiper relay harness, you can also run the pump off that, just extend the brown/black wire (trigger from steering column) and use it as the 12V feed for the pump.
this way, every time you pull the wiper lever towards you, you get the 4 run intermittend + fresh water!
NOTE: the brown/black wire was NOT an option on early car, '72 and later, if i'm not mistaken ...

In the 74, how would I know if I have this option. Is the relay 'always' mounted on that upright to the cowl?

Were there many with that option?

Can it be retrofitted?

I have the space-saver spare now because of the GT shroud. I'll need a way to pump wasser. I like the 70's 911 pump idea.

yes, the relay was always mounted to the support post. if you have a gaping hole there, your car didn't come with the extra harness and socket.
AFAIK, you can still buy the harness + socket brand new from porsche. i believe that's why jeff b. decided against offering a version of his own.

smile.gif Andy
736conver
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Apr 14 2006, 11:59 PM) *

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Apr 14 2006, 09:54 PM) *

ooh. moredetails!

i went to a space saver.... so ill need a pump!

The part number for the 924 assembly is 111-953-519. Its basically a direct swap. I think prices for the assembly is around $45 to $50.
As for the pump you can get a VDO,expensive, or you can just pick up a generic pump for like $10 through JCWhitney.
736conver
Oh and in case you didnt know your part numbers thats also a VW part too.
74-79 bug
markb
Wasn't there an issue with the relay being NLA? My memory may be a bit faulty here, tho.
East coaster
I'm curious about this too. I bought a used 924 column assembly to be able to run an electric washer pump, but now I'm confused. Are you guys saying that I need to use the intermittent wiper position for the washer? I though the 924 switch assm had a washer function?

Do I use the whole 924 column assembly or just the internal switch? The 914 wiper stalk looks to be different to handle the stock air switch vs an electrical contact, so I figured I have to swap the whole column???

Next Q - Does using the 924 switch let me have intermittent wipers and a washer??? (my car didn't have the relay/wiring stock)

Next, next Q - How do you guys mod the stock tank for electric pump use? Doesn't seem like brain surgery, but curious to seed others solutions (pics).
Aaron Cox
where can i get the relay?
PN#?
Eric_Shea
OK...

924 Wiper Assembly - check
Relay - check (part number would be good...)
911 Pump - check (might have one laying around here)

Operation - So, you just pull the stalk back and you have 4 bumps on the wiper and fluid? Also now intermittent operation capabilities?

Installation - What's 'basically a direct swap'? Basically scares me. laugh.gif
Aaron Cox
so i need a 924 wiper switch? or a wiper motor?

914 intermittnt relay.

porsche pump.

?
Eric_Shea
Switches

Aa... I think just the switch.

So... clicking the link above brings us to a 5-pin and a 4-pin confused24.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Apr 15 2006, 10:09 AM) *

so i need a 924 wiper switch??

huh? why? who said that? your car is a '73, right? your switch should work just fine. only '72 and earlier did NOT have the wiring for this ...
'73 and later *should* have all the right wires on the column. all you gotta do is brake off a little tab so the lever can move down one notch.

what you WILL need is the extra harness with the relay socket. that harness was an OPTION from porsche and AFAIK is still available.
the harness is plug & play, simply take wires off your wiper motor, plug in new harness, connect new harness to motor, done!

btw. all that is in my instructions ...
*NO* 924 parts needed ...

smash.gif Andy
Eric_Shea

Even if you want to use the wiper arm to activate the pump?
SirAndy
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Apr 15 2006, 10:32 AM) *

Even if you want to use the wiper arm to activate the pump?

yes, even then. the lever on a post '72 column can not only be moved up/down but also towards you ...
like i said in my writeup ...

*NO* 914 parts needed ...
just a re-route of the pump wires so the brown/black wire that comes from the column and goes into the intermittend harness is used to "switch" the washer pump ...

there's *NO* need to mess with your column or any of the existing wiring other than braking off that little tab on the column so the lever can move down one notch.

everything can be wired in the front trunk without cutting ANY wires. *if* you're using the intermittend addon harness, that is ...
smile.gif Andy
Aaron Cox
ok ahndy, i already have the 4 position switch. 914.... (PO must have broken the tab aleady)

so i just need relay and harness eh? and then pulling the stalk out runs the pump?
SirAndy
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Apr 15 2006, 11:06 AM) *

ok ahndy, i already have the 4 position switch. 914.... (PO must have broken the tab aleady)

so i just need relay and harness eh? and then pulling the stalk out runs the pump?

ok guys, why don't you READ my writeup before asking stupid questions? biggrin.gif

it's all in there. and NO, the pump won't just run of the stalk. that was never a factory feature. you'll have to add ONE wire yourself. from the addon harness to the pump.

oh, and btw. i also explain that IN MY WRITE UP ...
av-943.gif Andy
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Apr 15 2006, 11:21 AM) *

QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Apr 15 2006, 11:06 AM) *

ok guys, why don't you READ my writeup before asking stupid questions? biggrin.gif

it's all in there. and NO, the pump won't just run of the stalk. that was never a factory feature. you'll have to add ONE wire yourself. from the addon harness to the pump.

oh, and btw. i also explain that IN MY WRITE UP ...
av-943.gif Andy

im master of stupid questions, how do you think i learn??

LOL. link us to your writeup
SirAndy
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Apr 15 2006, 11:26 AM) *

link us to your writeup

remind me again why we made you an admin? biggrin.gif

there's a forum called "Classic Message Threads". in there, you'll find
a thread called "HOW TO: add a electric washer pump".

click on it and read ...
beerchug.gif Andy
ClayPerrine
What I did was to use the 924 wiper switch assembly. Now I can pull the stalk and it will turn on the washer pump. I didn't touch the wiper motor wiring at all.

The only problem is that it just turns on the pump, it doesn't turn on the wipers. You have to do that manually when you wash the windshield.

Aaron Cox
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Apr 15 2006, 02:35 PM) *

What I did was to use the 924 wiper switch assembly. Now I can pull the stalk and it will turn on the washer pump. I didn't touch the wiper motor wiring at all.

The only problem is that it just turns on the pump, it doesn't turn on the wipers. You have to do that manually when you wash the windshield.

got a pic of a 924 switch? ala, same lenght stalk and everything?
Eric_Shea
ok guys, why don't you READ my writeup before asking stupid questions?

:insertwhatagreatwaytocommunicatewithpeopleseekingadvisefromyousmiley: laugh.gif
Eric_Shea
I made good use of the down time. Aa... even you could aford this:

$27 Pump

Just sell me one of those 100's of combo gauges you're hording. biggrin.gif
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Apr 15 2006, 06:59 PM) *

I made good use of the down time. Aa... even you could aford this:

$27 Pump

Just sell me one of those 100's of combo gauges you're hording. biggrin.gif

who told you bout my stash? seriously, i aint got no 911 ones no mo..... if i idid it would be yours gratis....

nice pump - ill have to sell some stuff to buy it smile.gif got any 914 intermittant wiper harnesses and relays?

BTW - i had phantom914 help me weld up the stock hold down, so now the fuch spare is face out and on the firewall smile.gif

BTW2 - your sticker came. thanks bud smile.gif its AMAZING what full postage will do! av-943.gif

BTW3 - you're ugly chairfall.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.