Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: FRUSTRATED AND IN NEED OF DIRECTION
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TINCAN914
Replacing the Accelerator Pedal one of the bolts is rusted so much that the head of the bolt is thrashed, socket won't bite. So my thought was to take the dremel grind off a little each side, and then use the vise grip. Worked a bit, but then snapped off again. I was getting ready to grind a little bit more, but figured before I go forward, I would see if anyone had any suggestions?
736conver
Have you any kind of rust spray. PB blaster, WD40, etc.
Pb blaster is one of my favorites. Spray it on and let it soak in. Repeat this a few times if you think you only have one chance left at it. Maybe let it sit over night too.

Thorshammer
Your wasting your time with WD 40. Go buy some PB rust buster, it has some winter green and will loosen just about anything. If the head is broken off, you have really only one option.

Underneath the car, use a map gas torch, to warm the under neath area of the floor where the bolt is, have someone watch to make sure the floor does not catch on fire. Let it cool. While it is cooling, take a coal chisel, this is a chisel with a straight pointed surface that looks like a screw driver with a point, you can't use a screw driver, you must have a chisel. Turn the chisel so that it contacts the bolt head parallel with the bolt and at a 45 degree angle to the head, Then use the chisel and hammer to make a small indentation in the head then use the indentation and change the angle of the chisel to trun the bolt head in the direction to loosen it. You may have to start on the opposite side of the bolt and repeat. This should remove the bolt.

If not. Use a grinder and remove the head of the bolt, Then remove the accelerator pedal, This will expose the bolt where it goes into the chassis. again use some heat, and a hammer to impact the bolt right from the top, Then try to turn it with a vise grip. If still no go.

Grind the bolt off flush, and using a carbide drill bit be very carefull to start drilling the hole right in the middle. This is of utmost importance. When you get it out, use a 6x 1.00 tap to clean the threads and replace the bolts with stainless steel you can get them at home depot or Lowes.

Good luck,

Erik Madsen
Trekkor
if the pedal is off and you just have that one nub of a bolt sticking up, set a nut on top of it and plug weld it onto the bolt remnant.

This will heat it and give you a new "bolt" head to back it out.

KT
Eric_Shea
PB Blaster, MAPP Torch, Vise Grips.
swl
There is an 'easy-out' type thing for nuts or bolts that have the shoulders stripped so badly that the socket won't bite. Looks like a socket but has spiral cutters that dig into the bolt. Might help but you need the PB and heat or you could shear the bolt.
Rand
Take a breath, balance the replies....

Listen to Erik... Skip WD-40. Soak it in PB Blaster.

Wait a day.

Soak it in PB Blaster.

Wait a day.

Repeat.

Try (without excessive force) to loosen it.

Repeat above.

If it still won't come out, follow Trekkor's advice.

One of mine busted off, so I will have to resort to the extreme...

Drill down the center of a busted-off bolt. Plenty of previous PB-Blast treatment over days. EZ-Out.

If you get to this point without success, post your progress and we can post more extreme measures....
Allan
QUOTE(Rand @ Apr 15 2006, 03:55 PM) *

Take a breath, balance the replies....

Listen to Erik... Skip WD-40. Soak it in PB Blaster.

Wait a day.

Soak it in PB Blaster.

Wait a day.

Repeat.

Try (without excessive force) to loosen it.

If it still won't come out, follow Trekkor's advice.

agree.gif I've been in the same situation with other bolts.

Patience will pay off...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.