Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 915 clutch issues
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nocones
Several months ago, when my 914/8 was running and driving, it began exibiting a 'chirping' sound with the clutch pedal depressed. After several days driving around town the car suddenly became very difficult to get into gear. I limped it home and just as I got there it outright refused to engage.
I didn't have time to get right into it as other projects where calling but I've finally dropped the transaxle and had a look.
To my eyes the clutch is toast, but there were other questionable things lurking inside the bellhousing.
Here are some photos so you Porsche-geniouses can perhaps give some feedback.
nocones
Not sure why the PP would be contacting the arm...
Or for that matter why there would be markings on the bellhousing from the ring gear.

I've got a new Al PP, a kevlar disc, new T/O bearing, and pilot bearing from renegades ready to install as soon as I surface the flywheel but I don't want to put it all back together to have it do the same thing.

As far as I know the PO operated the car like this for a few years of street driving and autoX.

BTW:
Multiple photos and quick edit rock!
nocones
Anyone? ...Bueller ...
icon_bump.gif
rick 918-S
Check your thrust bearing...
TimT
That looks weird but...

When you took the clutch/flywheel apart were all the fasteners tight?

I cant imagine the wear on the cluth fork/shaft. It does appear that that wear probably happened awhile ago, like when the clutch replaced and the engine was reinstalled.

One thing that is obvious though is that the clutch disc was wearing on one side only.. the splines are dry, and rusty, make sure you lubricate the splines with some high temp moly grease or something when you install the new..

The pic of the driven disc shows some rivets that are loose, and that side of the disc exhibits little wear..the pressure plate is gouged from the rivets

Also SOME clutch discs are indexed, ie they install ONE WAY if the disc is installed wrong, you may not get full movement of the pressure plate

hmmm getting close?
dimitri
Looking at the rusted area of the transmission input shaft, I would say the clutch disc was
installed with the wrong side facing the trans. The longer nose of the spline, or spring/rubber
pack always are facing the trans. Dimitri
nocones
Thanks for the suggestions.

It wasn't actually rust on the input shaft, just some sort of orange gook.
When I washed everything it came right off.
I *think* that I checked the orientation of the clutch disc when I removed it and that it was correct. However that was a few weeks ago now so I may be wrong.
T/O bearing really didn't look too bad. It was my first guess before removal that it was the source of the original chirping sound.

Either way I'm going to carefully measure the dimensions of the new PP, T/O bearing Etc...
installed and see if I can make sure it's not going to contact the clutch arm again.

Oh, and yes, all the flywheel, and PP bolts were on tight.

Hmmm... idea.gif

The hardest part now may be fighting off the "while I'm in there" impulses. headbang.gif
rick 918-S
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Apr 15 2006, 03:11 PM) *

If it's not the disc install, Are you sure your crank shaft thrust bearing is good? If worn, it will allow the crank to walk back during excelleration. All things being set this is the only thing that moves.
nocones
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Apr 16 2006, 07:00 PM) *

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Apr 15 2006, 03:11 PM) *

If it's not the disc install, Are you sure your crank shaft thrust bearing is good? If worn, it will allow the crank to walk back during excelleration. All things being set this is the only thing that moves.

Now there's a thought. I'll have to check it out.
736conver

I had bolts that were tight but bottomed out and couldnt bring the plate in all the way. Took me awhile to figure out what was wrong. I got ship the wrong bolts in my kit.

nocones
QUOTE(736conver @ Apr 16 2006, 09:47 PM) *

I had bolts that were tight but bottomed out and couldnt bring the plate in all the way. Took me awhile to figure out what was wrong. I got ship the wrong bolts in my kit.

You guys rock. aktion035.gif

Thanks. Now when I go back out to the garage I've got several ideas to throw at this thing.
I'll let you know what I figure out.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.