Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: new kyb struts
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
stephen7
I have a question with switching KYB struts for the Boge units on my front end. The KYBs came with a choice of two screw on 'keepers' for the top of the stock strut cylinders. Do I use those or the originals? The instructions that came with them were pretty limited. Thanks!
Mueller
personally I'd send them back and buy Koni Yellows or Bilsteins or even stock Boge inserts smile.gif

As for your question, use the keeper that limits the insert from moving around once tightened (no side to side or up and down motion) . You want 0 slop between the insert and the housing.
Aaron Cox
KYB = kill yer back

see if you can find some boge or sachs inserts if you want stock ride.....

and for your question, agree.gif with mike
Eric_Shea
new kyb struts, installation

Simple. Open the lid and toss them in. laugh.gif

Use the originals or one of the ones that came with them should fit your Boge strut.
Joe Bob
Better yet...open the trash lid and toss them in.....

Gas shocks.....yack.
stephen7
Nice graphic. What a Pandora's box of KYB hate mail I have discovered! I know they are a stiff ride but whats the big deal? Isn't stiffer better for autocross? I had these on an old volvo 122 I had and it was a reasonable ride. Anybody running KYBs that likes them?
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(stephen7 @ Apr 15 2006, 08:29 PM) *

Anybody running KYBs that likes them?

nope tongue.gif

they work grat on bugs etc.... just not teeners.

see if you can return em and get some BOGE or bilsteins or konis...

stiffer isnt better. ADJUSTABILITY is smile.gif
Dr Evil
I don't mind them and as soon as these a-holes want to by me the suggested brands, I will get them tongue.gif

You can't beat the cost if you are interseted in driving and not waiting to save the money to get the others.

My $.02

Oh, Welcome to the club!
Joe Bob
They wear out fast....of course most of youse guys don't think so because they sit on jack stands fer years.....
seanery
whitey had 'em on when I got it, the difference was incredible when I put on the Koni yellows.

KYBs are like pinto carbs, they need the float test done before installing....
So.Cal.914
I got my 914 in 1982 and it has never had a smooth ride. It came with Koni's, when they needed to be replaced I put KYB's on. I didn't notice much difference, except in my bank account. I had money left over. What ever works for you. Oh and what they said. smoke.gif
pfierb
QUOTE(stephen7 @ Apr 15 2006, 11:29 PM) *

Nice graphic. What a Pandora's box of KYB hate mail I have discovered! I know they are a stiff ride but whats the big deal? Isn't stiffer better for autocross? I had these on an old volvo 122 I had and it was a reasonable ride. Anybody running KYBs that likes them?

I have KYB's on my 73....po installed them....they are the worst...you might as well have solid struts if the road isn't smooth as glass you will loose your teeth....can't wait to replace them.

Paul F
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.