Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What the hell is wrong with people!?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
pokey1168
OK, I really need to bitch and this is the only group who might understand.
I bought a 71 1.7 knowing I had my work cut out for me. It is no beauty queen.
I spent most of the morning going through it and dropping the drive train. It hsa been sitting for a LOONG
time so I expected things to be horrible.They weren't. The mounting bolts all came out without a fuss.
The CV joint bolts were tight but not overly tight. Everything came out without a hitch.
NOW the bitching, this car was in apparently great shape till some dill hole abandoned it in
a field in southern OK. I may have to scrap the thing because I am not sure if I can fix
all of the rust on the floorpan and firewall. This car is very complete, or was before the killing.
AAAAAAAAAAAAUUUUUUUUUGGH! WTF was he thinking! WTF.gif WTF.gif WTF.gif
pokey1168
here is some more
Chris Pincetich
That looks a lot like mine did a month ago.
barf.gif
I spent way too much $$$ getting it all out with a new stoddards pan in, firewall patches, and new cross member and e-brake mount welded in. The 914 is my only car so I just bit the bullet and charged it - thank god to for the 6 mo. fixed 0% APR "checks" I get in the mail because of my good credit. The shop did a decent job overall and did cut me a break on labor - but labor alone was 1k+. If this car is a project, I suggest looking for a rust-free tub to swap on to or taking a welding class. I'm trying to convince my girlfriend that when i sign up for a welding class it is to re-plumb the house and not for the 914, but she is no dummy biggrin.gif

Bummer on the rust find - good luck! beerchug.gif
DNHunt
Well you are right. The guy was an asshole to let the car waste away. He should be ar15.gif If he knew about the rust he should have disclosed it so he is either ignorant at best or dishonest.

You are right when you say it might be too much to fix.

So, did you pay more for it than it's worth as a parts car? If you did your homework and were observant or got a PPI from someone knowledgable you paid for a parts car and got, by your admission, lots of parts. Probably, that would be a fair deal. If you paid for a driver you probably got sheeplove.gif but, shouldn't this be something you should have seen?

I feel for ya but, ya gotta look

Dave
Bleyseng
barf.gif mrs.K.gif mrs.K.gif barf.gif mrs.K.gif mrs.K.gif barf.gif mrs.K.gif mrs.K.gif barf.gif mrs.K.gif mrs.K.gif barf.gif mrs.K.gif mrs.K.gif barf.gif mrs.K.gif mrs.K.gif barf.gif mrs.K.gif mrs.K.gif barf.gif mrs.K.gif mrs.K.gif barf.gif mrs.K.gif mrs.K.gif barf.gif mrs.K.gif mrs.K.gif haha i hate dialup and rust like that
pokey1168
on the high side of it I can recoup most if not all of the $$$$$$ I have in it .
I just hate the fact that it was obviously such a nice ride when it was killed.
About 90% of the rust is on the floorpan and fire walls. Where it sat in wet grass for so long.
Now I just have to decide once and for all, save it or let her rest in peace.
After all, I just checked it again and the "longs" still seem to be solid. (ie original paint with only
a 5mm area with some paint bubbling. )
Decisions, decisions!!!!! confused24.gif confused24.gif
porsha916
I have been repairing a car like that the last couple of weeks, I am no sure just how bad yours is, but mine is bad! I took it on as a challenge and I would like the car to be driven again. I would clean off all the rust, seam sealer, and under coating. confused24.gif Then decide if its fixable!! Good luck Bill
pokey1168
Hell, I about half afraid to clean it all up. I am afraid it would fall apart right there in my driveway smile.gif

I think if the rear suspension on the right is still pretty sound I might try and breath some live back into
her. If not, Type 4 power in the "manx" clone......Hello Jake Raby!!!!!!!! aktion035.gif aktion035.gif aktion035.gif aktion035.gif aktion035.gif
David_S
Pokey..... My project started out in as bad of shape if not a little worse. I have attached a few pics of my rust spots before I started on the repair, but haven't taken any recent "after the repair" shots. Mine sat in a field for about 5 years without a windshield in it before I got it. If you are interested, I have a home made rotisserie that would make the floor pan change out a hell of a lot easier. I am a couple of hours southwest of ya, so lemme know if you need any help or anything.
Joseph Mills

ohmy.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif

Damn!

pokey1168
gawd , I hate to admit it , but I'm glad I am not alone in this mess.
It looks like I will at least have a pretty good line for group therapy.
It is all part of the fun I guess. There is a funny bit of irony to this.
The guy I got it from painted "another one saved" on the back of it
when he drug it out of the field. dry.gif
ChrisFoley
You can get the repair metal from Restoration Design.
I say it's worth fixing as long as the inner passenger suspension console and longitudinal are still intact.
tdsmoonchild
QUOTE(pokey1168 @ Apr 16 2006, 09:37 PM) *

Yeah, Mine is rusty too. Alot of people say "Just get a better tub!" Then I like to think of it as "914 conservation." Keeping it out of the boneyard, putting back on the road. Someday there will be no more "tubs." Anyway, check out my thread at the bottom, and the other "rustoration" threads and you'll get an idea of what your in for. I wanted a project..... or else I could have just bought an already restored one.
tdsmoonchild
QUOTE(tdsmoonchild @ Apr 17 2006, 10:15 AM) *

QUOTE(pokey1168 @ Apr 16 2006, 09:37 PM) *

Yeah, Mine is rusty too. Alot of people say "Just get a better tub!" Then I like to think of it as "914 conservation." Keeping it out of the boneyard, putting it back on the road. Someday there will be no more "tubs." Anyway, check out my thread at the bottom, and the other "rustoration" threads and you'll get an idea of what your in for. I wanted a project..... or else I could have just bought an already restored one.

pokey1168
Kewl, and thanks for the input. Lord knows that before this is finished I will be needing a LOAD of advice.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.