Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 Engines on SAMBA. com
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
URY914
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=208829

I'm scared to ask, popcorn[1].gif

Anybody know?

Joe Bob
Crap shoot....my bet is they grenade and the guy says...sure send it back.....

Most people would just say screw it and do the rebuild themselves....

Prolly full of "RECONDITIONED" parts ala Motor Meister.....
Twystd1
Holdon there Mike.

Unless YOU KNOW the company is crap.

I suggest holding off on demonizing and unknown company.

Twystd1
lapuwali
This is Import Motor, who've been trashed on this board pretty thoroughly already.
SirAndy
QUOTE(lapuwali @ Apr 16 2006, 07:52 PM) *

This is Import Motor, who've been trashed on this board pretty thoroughly already.

agree.gif do a search here for them and enjoy ...
mueba.gif Andy
Twystd1
In that case... Mike...My apology's.

Therefore... Fuchem.....

Thanks SirAndy.

Clayton
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(Twystd1 @ Apr 16 2006, 09:12 PM) *

Therefore... Fuchem.....

Thanks SirAndy.

Clayton

these guys were incahoots with stromberg.

the "Tom" that stromturd bought kevin's "2 tanks of gas" onion motor, is Tom of import motor
Twystd1
Oh... Ya mean the guy that is Richard Simmons cousin from NYC?

Twystd1
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(Twystd1 @ Apr 16 2006, 09:25 PM) *

Oh... Ya mean the guy that is Richard Simmons cousin from NYC?

Twystd1

I have no idea what you are talking about....
EASTER APPORPRIATE?
IPB Image
Eric Taylor
Isn't that price less than the new parts needed to do a proper type 4 rebuild anyway? Gota be cutting a lot of corners. Most type 4 builds go for at least $3000 right, even a 1.7?
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(Eric Taylor @ Apr 16 2006, 09:52 PM) *

Isn't that price less than the new parts needed to do a proper type 4 rebuild anyway? Gota be cutting a lot of corners. Most type 4 builds go for at least $3000 right, even a 1.7?

there in lies the problem smile.gif
Joe Bob
QUOTE(Twystd1 @ Apr 16 2006, 09:12 PM) *

Therefore... Fuchem.....

Thanks SirAndy.

Clayton

No problem.....cheap is as cheap ya gets.....

I'll never touch another rebuilt Type IV unless I personally inspect the engine or know the guy....even then.....

As to a sixer....I'll do it myself. I've learned a lot over the years....and T-4s are just not my bag...too high strung, expensive and ready to explode at any time.

You can do them perfectly and then BOOM a freaking seat drops.....best thing I ever did was go with a six in my 914s.

Now if I can just find a good candidate for my next project.
URY914
So is there anyone out there (besides Jake) that sells rebuilt engines that are worth a crap? It would seem that there isn't a true engine rebuilder that you could order a long block from and be able to trust. Or is there? I realize there are plenty of shops that do the work but not the type of engine exchange service I'm talking about.

Why is that?

I would think there would be plenty of members here that would use this type service if you could trust what getting for your buck.
rhodyguy
i wasn't aware that "tom" was hooked up with IMC. that makes the onion all that more special.

k
r_towle
QUOTE(Eric Taylor @ Apr 17 2006, 12:52 AM) *

Prices Direct from AirCooled.net
Rod bearings 29.95
Main Bearing 75.00
Cam Bearings 19.95
Cam Shaft 150.00
Lifters 150.00
Gasket Set 75.00
F/R Seals 20.00
PC Set 96mm 575.00
oil pump 35.00

Total Parts 1074.00
Head Work 1000.00 (A Guess)

G e o r g e

what ever happened to the 14 sitting at the mobil?

hijacked.gif over

George
Joe Owensby
So, is the general feeling that it is best to either get one of Jake's motors, or do it yourself? I too am also needing to do a complete rebuild, and have been following threads about this. I have a 1.7 with full fuel injection system, or a 2.0 that has some carborators (don't know what is inside it). I just want to get a reliable engine that I can depend on. I am thinking about later adding one of the newer fuel injection systems to perhaps give better reliability. My old 1.7 would do all that is needed to get speeding tickets around here, so I am willing to give up a little HP for more reliability. Is the Aircooled technology a good place for parts, or Jake, Pelican, AA, etc?? thanks, Joe O.
Joe Bob
QUOTE(maddeye @ Apr 17 2006, 05:25 PM) *

what ever happened to the 14 sitting at the mobil?

hijacked.gif over

George

Still there...he's tinkering and not in a hurry.
Joe Bob
QUOTE(Joe Owensby @ Apr 17 2006, 06:54 PM) *

So, is the general feeling that it is best to either get one of Jake's motors, or do it yourself? I too am also needing to do a complete rebuild, and have been following threads about this. I have a 1.7 with full fuel injection system, or a 2.0 that has some carborators (don't know what is inside it). I just want to get a reliable engine that I can depend on. I am thinking about later adding one of the newer fuel injection systems to perhaps give better reliability. My old 1.7 would do all that is needed to get speeding tickets around here, so I am willing to give up a little HP for more reliability. Is the Aircooled technology a good place for parts, or Jake, Pelican, AA, etc?? thanks, Joe O.

Probably go with Jake as you are on the east coast.

McMark sounds as if he is putting together a good quality motor for like 5K, 2056cc and 125hp using Jake's kit. He's a little farther away but probably less of a wait. Jake's biggest customer bitch is having to wait in line...tuff toenails, no instant gratification unless some schmuck bails on a deposit and ordered motor....

You could order Jake's parts/kits and do it yourself.....my biggest issue on the T4s is the heads. Good machine work is a must....as is quality valve train parts.

Do your homework and decide....
Jake Raby
My wtties ny ipaaa y cmpe nie, ot is rprtsas they are sold through my retail entity and generally kept on the shelves. My complete engines are insanely sought after and time consuming to get to the level of quaility that I am known for, so yes there is a BIG wait generally. (my current wait time is 8 months) Since the second year I was in business I have remained at over 5 months backlog and have been well over a year at some points! I have never been about speedy transactions and never will be, even though we will have a catalog of engines in the future the time lines will remain the same-

My parts store has provided many enthusiasts with the correctly configured and compatible parts to build their own RAT inspired engine, without the need to wait for months or buy an engine that we have assembled. Each year the number of engines I build goes down as developments make for much more refined combinations that take more and more time to assemble and tune. A good example of this is the fact that in 1998 we generated 80 engines through the doors, while last year we only built 23 with the pedigree-

With more and more RAT authorized assemblers, like MarkD the customer is able to get a winning combination and a great assembler all as a package. I won't let these authorized assemblers take customers for rides or lie to them, it thoroughly understood that any authorized assembler has a zero tolerance for customer complaints, they only get one chance.

The reason why mass producers can't do worth a damn with the TIV is because it's an intricate, particular power plant that one must concentrate on as a primary objective.These guys don't understand this and don't really give a damn! In mass production the engine is just treated as a unit with no particular attention and no specialized efforts are made to make anything better than it was 30 years ago.

Most of the time the PARTS to complete a mass produced engine when bought at retail would surpass the price they sell the entire engine for! Due to this you can't really go wrong with buying one...

Of course they give you a smoking cheap deal and a great warranty... Most of the time the engine is so cheap that guys never send them in for warranty repairs, they just write them off and have their mechanic fix the issues or start all over again- this is the gamble the producers play and win at all the time.

You will be paying for exactly what you get!

As far as cylinder heads go, well in about 10 days when the Hot VWs article hits the stands we have one hell of an announcement about cylinder heads!

At any rate, I did a survey in 2003 based on the guys that inquired about my engines but did not purchase one from me. A whopping 65% of them ended up emailing or calling me with a sob story or asking ME for info about how to get their engine squared away that was bought from my competitor. This was because the competior either didn't know how to answer the question, or the customer had forgotten about getting any support from them.... Thats not a joke. That year one of my competitors lost 50 engines due to cam and lifter issues because they didn't test the engines before they were shipped.... While they were busy building I was shut down trying to remedy the situation through R&D- I did.

Good luck taking the path that you choose, who knows you might just get lucky!
Joe Ricard
Nice Post Jake. Good luck on your trip coming up.
Leo Imperial
"Of course they give you a smoking cheap deal and a great warranty... Most of the time the engine is so cheap that guys never send them in for warranty repairs, they just write them off and have their mechanic fix the issues or start all over again- this is the gamble the producers play and win at all the time.

You will be paying for exactly what you get!"

agree.gif

I was at a local VW shop last night looking for parts and sure enough on the shelf in the back was a Type IV that a customer had purchased vai mail order. It failed 2 weeks after the warranty ran out. Now it sits on a shelf awaiting a rebuild and the own has not returned to pay the price. The purchase price being lower than the rebuild at a respectable shop.

Now to save my money for more power. drooley.gif
Joe Bob
QUOTE(Leo Imperial @ Apr 18 2006, 05:02 AM) *

"Of course they give you a smoking cheap deal and a great warranty... Most of the time the engine is so cheap that guys never send them in for warranty repairs, they just write them off and have their mechanic fix the issues or start all over again- this is the gamble the producers play and win at all the time.

You will be paying for exactly what you get!"

agree.gif

I was at a local VW shop last night looking for parts and sure enough on the shelf in the back was a Type IV that a customer had purchased vai mail order. It failed 2 weeks after the warranty ran out. Now it sits on a shelf awaiting a rebuild and the own has not returned to pay the price. The purchase price being lower than the rebuild at a respectable shop.

Now to save my money for more power. drooley.gif

Didn't I say that in the first response to the thread??? dry.gif
rhodyguy
don't forget the return shipping, so it can be inspected to determine if the engine is an acceptable return. but that may not make any dif once it gets there...

k
Joe Owensby
Thanks for the input. I may see if I can get one of Jake's kits. Joe O.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.