Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Check for hidden rust
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rjames
In doing some minor rust repairs on my driver's side long, I decided to do a little exploritory surgery. I cut a small part of the outer layer of sheet metal out on the the inner wheelhouse (at least this is what Restoration Design calls it, I think) and found some mild surface rust. It looks a LOT worse in the photo then it actually is as what is shown in the picture really is all just surface rust. (sorry for the bad photo- camera phone) I'll be welding
on a replacement 'outer layer' of metal just as soon as I can fabricate the piece.

There was NO sign of this on the outside of the wheelhouse- I only cut into it because I had seen some rust in between layers of sheet metal further down towards the front end of the car on the long on that same side.

It might not be a bad idea for others to cut a small square of the first layer of sheet metal out on their cars in the same spot just to make sure all is what it appears. A dremel tool makes it real easy to just take the outer later off- it allows you to cut really slowly and NOT go into the 2nd layer of sheet metal.

Rust is fun! ar15.gif
Eric_Shea
Why not drill a small hole and use a garder sprayer to get in there with "Rust-Morph"? No cutting and welding on a critical long. wink.gif
rjames
The metal is sandwhiched together pretty snuggly, it would be hard to get a rust converter to all of it, and no way to be sure it got to all of the rust- other then to make small holes all over.

Sure, I don't like the idea of cutting good metal away to get to bad, but better that then seeing rust holes in the good metal sometime down the road, and having to do a MAJOR repair later. At least that's my thinking...

Wow, 122 times this thread has been viewed, and only 1 reply. Has no one else encountered this before?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.