Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: ID front suspension
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
So.Cal.914

Found a five lug front susp. Not a later model, it remindes me of the stock 914-6 binders. Could you Guys tell me where to find a number so I can get parts for this. Thanks for the help. smoke.gif
Mueller
QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Apr 17 2006, 02:23 PM) *

Found a five lug front susp. Not a later model, it remindes me of the stock 914-6 binders. Could you Guys tell me where to find a number so I can get parts for this. Thanks for the help. smoke.gif

the aluminum hubs will have a 901 (??) part number, that and/or a picture would help.....3" or 3.5" spacing for the calipers??
Cap'n Krusty

There is no ID number as such. There are 3 types of ball joint, early (bolt on and VEREY expensive), middle (screw in, with a curved notch in the shaft), and late (with a "v" shaped notch in the shaft. 2 bolt spacings for the calipers (3 and 3.5"), early struts for the early ball joints, middle for middle, late for late. There are Koni struts with fine threads in all 3 types, and coarser threads for other brands of shocks, and struts with a pin at the bottom and no threads on the top for Bilstein shocks. Had enough? There are Konis to fit the coarse threaded struts, and Bilsteins as well, and other shocks to fit the Koni struts, too. Good news is only Bilstein makes shocks to fit the struts with the pin. Bad news is they're expensive. There are A-arms with tabs for the anti-roll bar, and ones without. Of the ones without, there are arms that take an underbody bar, and ones that need mods to work with any bar. Then there's the early arms that won't work with the middle or late struts, and they come both with tabs for the bar and without. The Cap'n
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Apr 17 2006, 03:07 PM) *

There is no ID number as such. There are 3 types of ball joint, early (bolt on and VEREY expensive), middle (screw in, with a curved notch in the shaft), and late (with a "v" shaped notch in the shaft. 2 bolt spacings for the calipers (3 and 3.5"), early struts for the early ball joints, middle for middle, late for late. There are Koni struts with fine threads in all 3 types, and coarser threads for other brands of shocks, and struts with a pin at the bottom and no threads on the top for Bilstein shocks. Had enough? There are Konis to fit the coarse threaded struts, and Bilsteins as well, and other shocks to fit the Koni struts, too. Good news is only Bilstein makes shocks to fit the struts with the pin. Bad news is they're expensive. There are A-arms with tabs for the anti-roll bar, and ones without. Of the ones without, there are arms that take an underbody bar, and ones that need mods to work with any bar. Then there's the early arms that won't work with the middle or late struts, and they come both with tabs for the bar and without. The Cap'n

the captain summed it up the best.

post a pic and we can ID it for ya
Eric_Shea
Look for two things:

1. Caliper Ear Spacing. 3" would mean Boge/M-Caliper. 3.5" Orange would mean Koni. 3.5" Green would be Bilstein. From what you describe it's probably a Boge. The other two would have Aluminum S-Calipers attached (if it is indeed early.) Watch out for Hydrophneumatics.

2. Ball Joint Style. As described above.

Report back. wink.gif
So.Cal.914
I knew I asked the right guys. GEEZ We were heading into TMI (To much info)there for a sec, but veered just in time. I will do as you ask, Measure cal ears and post a pic. Thanks Guys.. smoke.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.