Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Vapor lines
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Hammy
I'm cleaning out my engine bay and the vapor lines (i think that's what they're called) coming from the driver's long are bulky and in the way.
Can I just remove these completely? I'm running carbs, don't know if that matters or not.
marks914
I pulled mine, they went in a circle anyway,
Mark

LEGAL: For vehicles that are for off road use only never to be driven on any highway.
Hammy
QUOTE(marks914 @ Apr 17 2006, 04:31 PM) *

I pulled mine, they went in a circle anyway,
Mark

LEGAL: For vehicles that are for off road use only never to be driven on any highway.

idea.gif
Am I risking hurting the environment, or my car, or both ? biggrin.gif
Tobra
If they are anything like the ones in a VW bug, the tank is vented to a similar, unobtainable, charcoal cannister. You may get fuel smells in the cabin if you leave the lines hanging. The fix on a bug when the replacement parts no longer exist is to create a closed loop set up. You probably don't have that tight a seal on your gas tank anyway, I would not worry about it much
lotus_65
i tore my rocker panels off yesterday, and there are the same vapor lines. i have always had fumes in the cabin, but only with the top off. anyway, there are hard lines that meet some flexible ones near the front fender, and mine are separated there.

i first asked myself if i needed them and wondered if i should post the question, secondly i wondered if that was the cause of the fumes.

it seems to happen that i wonder about something and the topic just appears here...
ph34r.gif
ClayPerrine
I am actually working on putting them back on the car.

They serve a purpose.... They catch the gasoline smell and hold it in the charcoal canister when the car is not running. Then the fan blows air through the canister and into the air cleaner. This fuel is picked up and burned with the engine.

Cleaner air for you and me to breathe, and it doesn't cost you a thing in Horsepower. And what little they weigh is insignifigant on a street car.

If you have carbs, you can run the line that went to the air cleaner into the base or top of one of the carb air cleaners.

Plus your car doesn't smell like gas after you drive it.

lotus_65
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Apr 17 2006, 09:27 PM) *

They serve a purpose.... They catch the gasoline smell and hold it in the charcoal canister when the car is not running. Then the fan blows air through the canister and into the air cleaner. This fuel is picked up and burned with the engine.

Cleaner air for you and me to breathe, and it doesn't cost you a thing in Horsepower. And what little they weigh is insignifigant on a street car.

If you have carbs, you can run the line that went to the air cleaner into the base or top of one of the carb air cleaners.

makes sense to me, i'll do it!
thanks.
racerx7
QUOTE(lotus_65 @ Apr 19 2006, 04:21 AM) *

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Apr 17 2006, 09:27 PM) *

makes sense to me, i'll do it!
thanks.

What he said.

Did you know gas fumes are worse than what comes out the tail pipe? I am
not sure about older cars with out cats.
elocke
I've been looking for the tube so I can re-install mine. I hate the smell of fumes.
Ed
Bartlett 914
On Newer cars (75 and up I think), the canister was located in the engine compartment. A single small line went from the expansion tank on the gas tank to the carbon canister in the engine bay. This would save running the 2 larger lines along the driver side of the car. The single line ran through the tunnel. I plan on running these on my car. I hate the gas smell.
pnewman
I just finished repairing and powder coating my gas tank and pondered this very issue.

I am replacing all of the lines in the whole breather system. They are indeed cheap and worth every penny if they get rid of a fuel smell!
1/2 inch heater hose is what I am using. Plus all of the smaller vacuum lines as well.

For the plastic tubing along the Long I found ...get this.

1/2 inch plastic lawn springler tubing to be a similar match to the oem tubing.

I am going to attempt to heat a section of the lawn tubing to replace the 180 degree bend at the canister on top of the fuel tank.

If I remember (early Alzheimers.) I will try and place a pick when finished.

good luck!
Elliot_Cannon
I got no charcoal cannister, no recovery lines, not expansion tank on top of the fuel tank and NO gas smell. The tank vent line goes under the car and no odor.
Cheers, Elliot
Rand
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Apr 20 2006, 09:40 PM) *

I got no charcoal cannister, no recovery lines, not expansion tank on top of the fuel tank and NO gas smell. The tank vent line goes under the car and no odor.
Cheers, Elliot

Same here. And I like it that way! smile.gif
lotus_65
can i just make it a closed loop at some point in the line, instead of drilling into my carb housing?
Rand
It should be vented. If you fill the tank and close the cap tightly, as the tank runs down it will create a vacuum on a closed loop. I suppose if the loop is big enough it might be ok. But it should be able to breathe. If you aren't comfortable just dropping a line from the filler neck out the bottom, then it should be vented to the intake.
Hammy
So where are the lines supposed to connect to if you have carbs. ?
Rand
You could add a tit to the air cleaner lid I suppose.
lotus_65
QUOTE(Rand @ Apr 21 2006, 03:36 PM) *

It should be vented. If you fill the tank and close the cap tightly, as the tank runs down it will create a vacuum on a closed loop. I suppose if the loop is big enough it might be ok. But it should be able to breathe. If you aren't comfortable just dropping a line from the filler neck out the bottom, then it should be vented to the intake.

ok. thanks.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.