Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How bad could this have been
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
turboman808
Went to put more forgiving street tires on the honda and noticed the right front was wiggling. Turned out the ball was breaking out of the a arm. Has me thinking if it broke on the highway of autoxing I would have rolled the car.
SirAndy
How bad could this have been

depends on how dead someone can be ...
blink.gif Andy
John
My dad and I each have had a ball joint break at speed on a race track. His was the Passenger side, mine was the driver side. In each case, it didn't cause total loss of control.

To me it was similar to what a flat tire feels like, only it was proceeded by a loud bang.

914's will drive with only 3 wheels anyway.

Hopefully, when it happens, you don't loose the brake line (so that you have brakes for the other 3 wheels).
bondo
This happened to my Mustang on a hard right freeway offramp, on the driver's side. You're looking at the upper A-arm from in front of the tire. I thought I had knocked the tire off the rim, but no, I broke the car. smile.gif It was a good excuse to upgrade to the camber correcting tubular A-arms.. biggrin.gif
dinomium
ah yeah... I think I will have one more looky at the ball joint I just put in! How far should that jamb pin be hammered in anyway?

unsure.gif
flesburg
Both John and I had ball joints break at the same place, the pin that goes into the bottom of the strut snapped off right at the weak point indent where the lock "wedge pin" goes through the strut and holds the ball joint into the strut.
I would not put that pin in any tighter than just snugging up the nut.
tat2dphreak
I had it happen in my old pickup, at 45... at 50 the truck would have rolled, it almost did anyway... ball joints are bad mojo when they break...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.