Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The official Series9 build thread.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Series9
I'm taking a chance here, because I haven't closed the construction loan yet.....

I'd like to share the build of my new home/shop in Florida with my friends here.

I have a contract on 1.36 acres of land (170'x396') in Lake Helen, FL and have drawn the initial plans for the building. The land is $100,500. The building is a metal structure that should come in around $110k.

Here are the plans and property location. Follow along. We'll have a party once I sign the construction loan.

Hopefully, once the thing is out of the ground, 914world.com members will stop by to take pictures for me.

Series9
The shop is down stairs and measures 75'x30'. The bay on the far left is open to up to the roof so I can install an overhead lift.
elwood-914
Wow! 3 regular bays and on large one... what a dream that would be. Good luck Joe. piratenanner.gif Wish it were mine though sad.gif
nomore9one4
Sweet! Best of luck with your plans beer.gif
URY914
Are going to have a pole to slide down from the second floor?
Part Pricer

Congratulations!

I do have a question however. Is a metal building suitable for the Florida heat? I envision large air conditioning bills.
URY914
QUOTE(Part Pricer @ Apr 18 2006, 07:58 AM) *

Congratulations!

I do have a question however. Is a metal building suitable for the Florida heat? I envision large air conditioning bills.

All new bulidings in Florida have to conform to an "Energy Code" which has minimum insulation requirements of the building. If it doesn't meet the code you don't get a permit.

And there are structural wind loads also to meet code, but this is far enough inland that a metal building can meet it.
rick 918-S
Really nice Joe. Will Turtle Mountain (corrected... sorry Liz and Nikko) Be setting up a second location?.....

Hey, I could come down and have a working vacation at your new shop. A little working, a little time at Daytona Beach.. Spend some money at the Ron Jon Store.. coool!

Any guest rooms?
roadster fan
Hey, your shop is going to be incredible! As I was looking at the map I noticed you are close to Sanford, FL. In the mid 80's I used to play indoor soccer in Sanford with some college buddies. Nice area, I wish you the best with your endeavor,

Jim smiley_notworthy.gif
URY914
Joe,

All kidding aside, I've lived in Florida all my life and have worked in the construction industry for 25 years so if you need help with anything let me know. Design, Permitting and Construction can be a bitch for the first timer and in Florida it is a nightmare. And I've built about a dozen metal buildings. Thier somewhat easy but there are some tricks to them.

If I can help in any way let me know.

Paul

Series9
Paul: I hadn't considered a pole, but I'm sure one could be arranged.
Part Pricer: It will be very well insulated and it turns out metel meets wind code easier than conventional construction.
Rick: It's 'Turtle Mountain' and we have talked about it. You're welcome anytime.
Series9
QUOTE(URY914 @ Apr 18 2006, 10:17 AM) *

Joe,

All kidding aside, I've lived in Florida all my life and have worked in the construction industry for 25 years so if you need help with anything let me know. Design, Permitting and Construction can be a bitch for the first timer and in Florida it is a nightmare. And I've built about a dozen metal buildings. Thier somewhat easy but there are some tricks to them.

If I can help in any way let me know.

Paul

Thanks very much Paul. I have a friend who is a metal building contractor in Orlando. He's taking care of me.
GWN7
I see Florida, I see lakes....I see winter next year as being really really cold, I see my boat hooked to my truck heading South.... wink.gif

Looks Great Joe
jasons
So how does your mortgage work on something like that? Is it considered residential or commercial? Is it deductible from your personal income or your business income?
Series9
QUOTE(jasons @ Apr 18 2006, 10:27 AM) *

So how does your mortgage work on something like that? Is it considered residential or commercial? Is it deductible from your personal income or your business income?

Residential and deductible like a regular house.
jasons
QUOTE(Series9 @ Apr 18 2006, 09:28 AM) *

QUOTE(jasons @ Apr 18 2006, 10:27 AM) *

Residential and deductible like a regular house.

Could you technically lease the shop space to Series9 and somehow reap some benefit that way?

BTW looks cool, any car guy would be jealous.
carr914
I say Road Trip Tampa Bay 914ers

T.C.
spunone
WOW going from New Mexico to Florida yeah thats a little change.Looks great
MoveQik
That is awesome Joe. I wish you guys all the best. Glad I was able to catch you before you moved across the country!
Series9
QUOTE(spunone @ Apr 18 2006, 11:21 AM) *

WOW going from New Mexico to Florida yeah thats a little change.Looks great

Luckie and I are both FL natives (Dade City and Satellite Beach, respectively)
Flat VW
Very exciting Joe.

One can already see this is gonna work out well for you.

How are you on collision work? confused24.gif

John happy11.gif
Brian Mifsud
Nice Joe,

I like the bang for the buck in real estate value....

BOLT IT DOWN, make concrete vaults to slide your cars/tools into at a moments notice, pay extra to go a few gauges up in metal siding thickness... install "blow away" windows up high to decompress the building so it won't tear apart when the 300MPH winds hit it....

Not to be a pessimist...what do I know, I grew up on the San Andreas fault...
watsonrx13
Wow Joe, that looks great.... When are you moving in? Let us know and we could definately have a TBB at your place to christen it....

I'm, jealous, I just finished moving into my new 'shop'.... a 12'x24' portable shed with an attached 12'x24' carport.... But I'm very happy having the space at my brother-in-laws place....

-- Rob
Joe,

Congrats and all the best!!

I've not forgotten.. your help with the Patrick stuff- thanks again!
Series9
Planning to move in July '07.

Thanks for the nice comments. I'll take all the encouragement you guys can offer.

Trust me, there'll be one hell of a party when we arrive.
JB 914
Hey Joe,

Best of luck with the new shop and future family. There is nothing better than being close to the kids when they are young. You will never regret it.

how much for a 6 conversion?
Series9
QUOTE(JB 914 @ Apr 18 2006, 09:09 PM) *

Hey Joe,

Best of luck with the new shop and future family. There is nothing better than being close to the kids when they are young. You will never regret it.

There's a loaded question. I think there are a lot of people you could talk to in CA who could help you without the need to transport a car to FL.

I've taken on two conversions after the TurtleGirl build goes on the road in June. That's all the major business I'm going to accept before the move, because I'm going to have a very busy year.
Series9

Hey Joe,

There's a loaded question. I think there are a lot of people you could talk to in CA who could help you without the need to transport a car to FL.

I've taken on two conversions after the TurtleGirl build goes on the road in June. That's all the major business I'm going to accept before the move, because I'm going to have a very busy year.
JB 914
QUOTE(Series9 @ Apr 18 2006, 08:45 PM) *

Hey Joe,

Hey, i know i guy in Huntington Beach that has a big trailer who might need an excuse to visit and jsharp.gif biggrin.gif

Seriously, good luck with the new business.
Elliot_Cannon
Congratulations Joe. I'd rather take a beating than move but you're somewhat younger than me and will handle it a lot better than I could. Good luck on the move and all the best on your new business.
I retire soon and the wife has never been to Florida. I see a loooong road trip.
Cheers, Elliot
army dude
Hey Joe, AWESOME!!! You GO!! Best of the best for ya on this!!

When will you be taking on jobs? I just happen to have a car that needs a little this and a little that. Maybe a whole lot of that?!

Keep us in the loop on everything and Congratulations again!

Ian in Iraq

8 days and a wake up to Baghdad
15 days till US
23 days till driving!!
Allan
NICE!!!
d914
Hey put a spare room in and create a reciept, thats in the middle of my sales territory....Keep the beers cold I can stop by and watch you work!!!! drunk.gif
Series9
Everyone will be welcome.

The building will be bare-bones at first, just so we can move in. Once we get there, I'm going to finish it out the way I want.

Then I expect to start taking business in the late summer or early fall ('07). Of course, club members who need anything can just come by any time after July.

Once again, I hope I haven't jinxed the loan by putting up this thread. My mortgage broker is a miracle worker, though.
Eric_Shea
Best of luck Joe!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.