Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: so how bad is it?!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sk8kat1
blink.gif confused24.gif I am doing some final things as routine mainteiance be fore the teener sets it's feet back on the ground ... change gear lube .. oil change adjust vales

well when I pulled off teh screen when I was changing the oil there were some coffee ground size bits in there .. I couldn't tell if they were metal .. and then what appeared to be a single metal shaving .. very thin maybe 1/8 " long and had a bronze /copper sort of color . while I was inspecting it it fell apart .

the PO said the engine was rebuilt about 1000 miles before I got it .. oil was pretty dark though .

should I be really worried or should I drive it a bit with the freash oil in it and re inspect?
ArtechnikA
ask yourself - "what *is* the break-in process" ?

it's that period of initial high wear in which all the high spots burnish themselves smooth. flakes and bits of particulate crap are generated - like the dust you get when sanding. that's part of what's making the oil dark, and that[s exactly why so many oil changes are recommended very early.

(the other reason the oil is dark is that newer engines tend to/need to run a bit richer, and the rings haven't seated so there's a bit of blowby...)

if it were me, i'd be cutting the filter open looking for more bits...
BigDBass
Perhaps try one of those magnets you attach to the oil filter to help collect that stuff? (Although I have no idea if they actually work or are beneficial! biggrin.gif )
sk8kat1
whats the best method to cut open the filter and preserve the possilble contents?
DonTraver
Cut it open with a chisel, DO NOT use a hacksaw, that will just contaminate the filter. After getting open with a chisel, use a razor knife to cut around the filter media and remove it. Then open it up and take a look. I do it on every oil change.

I also use magnets in my filters. They do work. If they work on the million dollar engines I work on, they'll work on mine. Everytime I've had a problem starting the magnet has shown it first.

Good Luck,
Don
sk8kat1
so if I find more in the filter am I in deep shit or should I wait and see waht happens in the next oil change?
TeamAxisRacing
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

take a picture of the metal shavings
sk8kat1
I had a single metal shaving that fell apart it was so fragile so that is a no go .. the coffee ground looking things there were about 8 of them ... after I cut open the filter I will post pics of what it in there
Tobra
What color was the metal?
Joe Ricard
Just change the oil and drive it like you stole it.
Either it runs forever or it blows up. confused24.gif
if you take it apart you still have to sink money into it. if it blows up you have to sink money into it.
if you run it and it lives Cool. and the magnet is a good idea.
sk8kat1
QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Apr 19 2006, 12:54 PM) *

Just change the oil and drive it like you stole it.
Either it runs forever or it blows up. confused24.gif
if you take it apart you still have to sink money into it. if it blows up you have to sink money into it.
if you run it and it lives Cool. and the magnet is a good idea.

idea.gif happy11.gif

I wonder if raby takes bombed cores? -- good excuse and the wife will just have to know that it bombed on me happy11.gif
sk8kat1
QUOTE(Tobra @ Apr 19 2006, 12:45 PM) *

What color was the metal?

dark grainules .. and one small cooper / bronze colored shaving that was soo thin it fell apary when I touched it

Joe Ricard
I guess a better answer to the situation after thinking about it is. What is the oil pressure?
what is the compression?
how much blow by are you getting?

Good compression good pressure and little blow by = drive the piss out of it.
sk8kat1
What is the oil pressure?

oil press is good -- it was little low on oil when I got it and teh light came on I added oil .. all good

what is the compression?

-- dunno and not sure really how to chk that

how much blow by are you getting?

-- dunno what is the best way to tell ?

Good compression good pressure and little blow by = drive the piss out of it.

driving.gif burnout.gif
sk8kat1
well I cracked the oil filter open .. no metal .... I think I will pick up one of those magnet things....

what is the thought now that there was nothing in the filter ... ?
Tobra
Follow the advice of Mr Ricard.

You can get a device to check the compression at most auto stores, or borrow one if anyone nearby has one, it may just be normal, break in wear
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.