Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1.7 heads on a 2.0?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
usa4cheer
putting together a 914 for autocross and hillclimbs,
have 2.0 motors but all the heads are bad, have plenty of 1.7 heads, I have heard that this gives a little more torque... ??? don't have the money for 2.0 heads right now, but need the car done by snowshoe hillclimb, what do you think?
Aaron Cox
2.0 heads are worth a good percetage more HP.

i want to say 12% is what i read.
914Sixer
Fly cut the 1.7 heads for 2.0 cylinders and add 2.0 valves. Then the only difference is the bolt pattern.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Apr 18 2006, 10:18 AM) *

Fly cut the 1.7 heads for 2.0 cylinders and add 2.0 valves. Then the only difference is the bolt pattern.

wrong. in addition to 3 vs 4 bolt, THE spark plug angle is way different which is good for mo power.
davep

The combustion chamber may to too small, and would bump up the CR. This may or may not be good. Port sizes may also be smaller.
usa4cheer
i appreciate the input, i guess i will have to bite the bullet and see if any of the 2.0 heads can be salvaged by another shop, the first one said they were not

thanks
davep
QUOTE(usa4cheer @ Apr 19 2006, 07:19 AM) *

see if any of the 2.0 heads can be salvaged by another shop

The best shop to send them to may be:

http://www.haminc.biz/main.shtml
Brad Roberts
I would definately go the route of the 2.0 heads. They flow MUCH better straight out of the box than the 1.8's and 1.7's. The rebuild cost is pretty much the same. About the only issue that is really difficult ot overcome for rebuilders: if the 2.0 heads have been flycut too many times, the combustion chamber gets thin near the bottom of one of the exhaust studs.

Take some pics.. show us your 2.0 heads up close.

B
Jake Raby
T- minus 10 days and counting!

Nothing will ever be the same again.....

Ctrout
That's really mean Jake!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.