Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Chromoly tube Dia.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Andyrew
Quick question before I go out and buy some metal.. I wanted to see if the metal shop by me had Chromoly..

What works good for tube's for chassis stiffening? 1in dia? 1.25, 1.5?

If they dont have chromoly, what works as well?

Dankie
Aaron Cox
from what i read, you want DOM (drawn over mandrel) and not welded seam tubing.....

roll cages are commonly 1.25
Tony C
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Apr 18 2006, 11:21 AM) *

Quick question before I go out and buy some metal.. I wanted to see if the metal shop by me had Chromoly..

What works good for tube's for chassis stiffening? 1in dia? 1.25, 1.5?

If they dont have chromoly, what works as well?

Dankie

I would not use cromoly for what you are intending, plus I know you don't have a tig welder to properly weld cromoly. For most chassis stiffening 1"x.095 or 1.5"x.065 DOM will work very well.

Oh, and its Danke. biggrin.gif

-tony
byndbad914
Andrew, I would recommend determining if there are any rule specifics about tubing sizing in areas you want to add it if you want to race it in certain clubs. It is funny - if you don't have it, not an issue, but if you add a tube, then it probably has to be some specific size.

Typically you see requirements on the roll cages strictly enforced, so I don't know what you are adding for "stiffening", but if a cage is involved or a targa hoop, etc then follow a rule book just so you don't have to do it twice.

And only use chromoly if you are worried about weight (because you can run 30%thinner wall thicknesses = 30% less weight - always the same diameter in a rule book). If weight is not a concern, definitely go DOM - cheaper and easier to work with. Also, technically you can MIG chromoly, but a lot of sanctioning bodies are requiring TIG only for chromoly and either TIG/MIG on DOM.
Andyrew
My uncle is getting a tig. but I'll just go with regular DOM...

Danke tony!

I'll check the rules and see what scca allows.

Andrew
Brett W
What kind of stiffening are you doing? For much of it you can easily get away with 1.5 x.065 weld steel. It is light and cheap. If you have access to a TIG machine I would run some 1 3/8 thinwall chromoly. Buy it from the Chassis Shop. They are cheaper than anyone else.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.