Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Modifying a stock seat
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Trekkor
I know some have done this...Demick.

I'd like to see some examples.

I'm tossing around the idea of glassing on full bolstering and covering with vinyl to match.

I like the ready to buy seats and all. I also like a good project, too.

thanks, KT clap56.gif
lapuwali
There are some examples here if you search for them.

What I'd do is use some thin plywood cut to shape, and glass that into place. Alternatively, use surfboard foam. If you try using fiberglass alone, it will probably be too flexible (too thin) or too brittle (too thick). Use something as a core (like foam) to glass around to get bolsters that are stiff enough w/o being brittle.

Still another approach is to use a steel tube from the base of the seat to the back on each side as a brace, with a fiberglass panel filling in the rest. This is roughly how many actual race seats are made.

Trekkor
Thanks.

I'll first need to do some drawings to get some shape ideas.
Also, I'll need holes for the belts.

If I self destruct, I'll just buy a Kirkey. thumb3d.gif

KT
john rogers
I had thought about doing that when I started vintage racing the 914, but then I sat in one with one of the wrap around aluminum seats and that made me change my mind. The one I have wraps around my rib cage and my shoulders and I don't move a bit once the belts are tightened down. I'd recommend trying one before you go to all the hard work of modifying a stock seat......
TravisNeff
Do a search, there are a couple of people that have done this. Thee was one in particular that looked fantastic. he had done the work himself on the bolstering and had an upholstery shop stitch them up with leather.
scotty b
I don't know who's this is but the seat was done like an early 911 sport seat. I have a set in my 944 and they are really nice. This is the 3rd car I've put them in now! I plan on making a set of these for my teener when I get started on it confused24.gif
Trekkor
I like that seat. great! i need more of those pics. piratenanner.gif

KT
Carlitos Way
If I am not mistaken, Renegade Hybrids makes these seats already. Not sure if it's what you're looking for, and they are rather pricey, but if you have the moeny, why not go for it? Then again, there's always the enjoyment of doing something yourself.
Eric_Shea
I'm building GT seat replicas off the original frame. I used the Recaros from my 911RS to form the side bolster. Used Copper tubing as the template. They're going to have the same cord inserts as the Recaros. Here's some pics:

Trekkor
Oh yeah!!!!

KT
Trekkor
I'd like to see some more examples.

That copper tubing is a really great idea.

KT
r_towle
I saw that somewhere before..
The tubing gives you a way to play with the shape...
Then you have somewhere to hang the fiberglass from.

Rich
BIGKAT_83
QUOTE(scotty b @ Apr 18 2006, 08:00 PM) *

I don't know who's this is but the seat was done like an early 911 sport seat. I have a set in my 944 and they are really nice. This is the 3rd car I've put them in now! I plan on making a set of these for my teener when I get started on it confused24.gif

That's my car I did the seat about 3 years ago. Made the bolsters and did all the upholstery myself. Still have not done the pass side. I think I had some pictures on my blog. I'm looking for pictures of the modified bases and frames I know I have some somewhere.

Bob biggrin.gif
grasshopper
I dont like it, but here is one
Trekkor
That pic also helps. Good. The colors aren't for me, but the quality makes me happy.

I think I'll photoshop up something.

KT
Demick
Here's mine. From this view, it's easy to see the original shape and the new shape.
Demick
Here it is half covered in foam.
Demick
...and finished
gregrobbins
I have a stock seat modified by Renegade Hybrids that is very nice.
Trekkor
That helps a ton.
thanks

KT
John
Here is a bad pic of the seats my dad did for the track car.

They have holes for the belts built into them.

I'll have to take a couple pics of revision one (which reside in my street car)....
Trekkor
Were those 914 seats?
Wow!

KT
John
Oh, yes they were/still are stock 914 seats. They have just been modified somewhat.

I don't know if we still have pics of them being made (prior to the digital age).

My mom did the covers for both sets (those shown as well as my street car seats).

We went with the heavy duty cloth type seat covers because they will wear like iron and can absorb some moisture instead of getting slick. They are several seasons old.

redshift
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Apr 18 2006, 08:31 PM) *

I used the Recaros from my

mad.gif Where is the asshole icon... nevermind... ASSHOLE!

I just called, to say!!!!

driving-girl.gif

M
Randal
Trekkor,

How about making one of those foam inserts, after you finish your re-work, that you can put in just for racing.

That way you wouldn't move at all.

Bet Demick knows how to do it and where to get the materials.
Trekkor
OK, the old seat is out, stripped, cleaned and sanded.

I'm off to...ahem...Home Depot for supplies. dry.gif

Here's the old look.
Let's see how far I can get before Saturday morning. Jumpy.gif

one of those foam inserts

That could be just what I need. we'll see. clap56.gif

KT
Trekkor
I'm back and for under $100 I have enough material to do both seats if the first one turns out to my liking.

KT
Krieger
jsharp.gif Hey Trek,
Ive got two seats you could have if you want to play with them.
John
As promised, here are a couple pics of my silver street car seats.

Trekkor
OK, I'm done for the night.

things are coming along nicely.

Here's the frame shape.

3/8 copper tube riveted to the seat.
Test fitted to me and in the car.

My fire extinguisher has to be relocated.

KT
redshift
Why not just use GT flares..

biggrin.gif

Is that a tiny blue water tower, for... lilliputians?

M
Trekkor
Down boy!

Again...

KT
Trekkor
Oooops, wrong pic.

that was my cat biting my hand dry.gif

Heres the seat from the side.
Trekkor
next step. backing for the foam core.

Trekkor
Expandible foam applied chowtime.gif

After 8 hours it can be shaped before the fiberglass matting is laminated over it.

F-O-A-M

KT

Demick
Hey Trekkor - those are some huge bolsters. Didn't know you needed support for your shoulders!

Just make sure you are going to fit into the seat after you are done. My seat is VERY tight in the hips. If I have my wallet in my back pocket, I don't fit.

Demick
Trekkor
"Great Stuff"

Tune in tommorow...
Heeltoe914
I am truly sorry but WTH are you trying to hold in that seat. Your but and part of your rib cage should be more than enought for any auto-X. IMHO
Trekkor
I'm really big confused24.gif

Ive got two seats you could have if you want to play with them.

Thanks Andy, I'll let you know!

KT
Trekkor
first cut...

I spotted it with foam one more time.

I sat in it unsure.gif

Pretty cool cool_shades.gif

KT
messix
bolstering for the shoulders has been found to be more effective, and comfortable.
nascar guys are all swichted over, off road guys are finding it too. it doesn't beat up your ribs. who has gotten the bruises?[raising my hand.]
Hydra
Great thread trekkor!
One question remains, how did you mount the copper tubes to the seat?
Good Luck aktion035.gif
Nick
Trekkor
The copper is fastened with pop rivets. Two on each end.

KT
Trekkor
Foam shaped to my liking, followed by the first coat of resin and glass matte.
Sanded.

Ready for a final coat of resin and glass cloth.

KT
nynone4
Very Cool! Can't wait to see the finished product. You've got me thinking about modifying one my seats as well.
Trekkor
It is taking a little more material than I planned dry.gif

Back to the Depot for more latex gloves, resin and glass cloth.

I'm not sure how I'm going to finish it for the weekend, as the fabric store is out of brown vinyl.

Maybe just padding only...We'll have to wait and see. confused24.gif

What I like about this project, is the seat will have exactly the shape I want and it will fit me perfectly. Tough to find that off the shelf for under $500. mueba.gif

KT
jgara962
Looking good!

How much do you think this project will cost you?
Trekkor
$140 in materials.

Don't count the time dry.gif

KT
Demick
Mine cost about $100 in materials (that was enough to do 2 seats, although I only completed one). Time was probably about 20 hours of labor - most of it doing the upholstry work. It was a real pain. I don't think I would do it again. #1 reason I did it instead of buying the Renegade seat was because I wanted it in brown rather than black.

BTW, Trekkor - watch out on how the size of the seat will change when you cover it with foam. It gets smaller very quickly when you add the foam.

Demick
DanT
Trekkor,
With the shoulder "wings" as wide as you have them, does the seat still slide all the way back into the back pad as before? You know how it is recessed for the shape of the seat?

Just wondering....with my Corbeaus the seat would not go back as far as before. because of the shoulder wings.

Looking good.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.