Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: best 6 cyl. engine mount for racing
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
kevgentile
currently building a race car. has an original 914-6 nose mount now. want something stronger and more stable.
SirAndy
QUOTE(kevgentile @ Apr 18 2006, 05:20 PM) *

currently building a race car. has an original 914-6 nose mount now. want something stronger and more stable.

rich johnson mount. hands down the best. do a search here ...
beerchug.gif Andy

http://www.914conversions.com/html/mount.html

IPB Image
Eric_Shea
I'm using Rich's mount.

If you have the original nose mount in there now, I would not remove it. I would have it strengthened and reinforced ala. the factory race cars. Check Armando's site for this modification. (Google: Armando 914-6/GT)
Joe Bob
RJs.....used it on two street/track cars. NO COMPLAINTS.
kevgentile
with the original mount the engine shakes vilently. the shake is due to the engine, lots of compression and cam. my goal is to spread the mount out like in a 911. i was thinking of making my own using a 911 bull horn.
SirAndy
QUOTE(kevgentile @ Apr 18 2006, 06:37 PM) *

with the original mount the engine shakes vilently. the shake is due to the engine, lots of compression and cam. my goal is to spread the mount out like in a 911. i was thinking of making my own using a 911 bull horn.

that's what the RJ mount does. it has two attachment points instead of one. it uses stock 911 sport motor mounts, but you could replace those with the WEVO 911 motor mounts to get even less movement ...

cool.gif Andy
brant
Ok...
Rich has service beyond question and builds VERY nice stuff

and I'm definitely in the minority here
but for racing you really ought to consider the patrick bulkhead mount.
yes it spreads the load out over a 30 or so inch area..

BUT.....

more importantly it pivots.
you can drop the shift linkage, and two tranny mounts and tip the whole engine, transmission, exhaust combo. We built ours so that the motor out oil line has extra slack in it and we drop one screw to lengthen the extra oil line and tip our whole motor. This is a godsend for things like valve adjustments.

last year we were at a club race and developed an oil leak. We didn't understand where it was coming from at first and it turned out to be one of the rocker shafts had actually Broke. We tipped or dropped the motor three times on saturday to get into the rockers.

I'd like to see someone drop their -6 motor 3 times at a paddock with the rich johnson mount and still make the qualifying session at the end of the day....

nuff said.
brant
Grngoat
Are you using one of Rich's mounts on your 3.6 conversion Andy?

The earlier 911 nose cone's that he usually uses don't fit the 3.6 without quite a bit of trimming. Primarily to clear the pulley if I remember. Rich is working on a new nose cone specifically for the 3.6. The prototype should be done in a few weeks and is going on my motor.

You might want to talk to Rich if you haven't already ordered your mount. I have Wevo mounts that I am going to use at all four corners as well.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Grngoat @ Apr 18 2006, 08:04 PM) *

Are you using one of Rich's mounts on your 3.6 conversion Andy?

The earlier 911 nose cone's that he usually uses don't fit the 3.6 without quite a bit of trimming. Primarily to clear the pulley if I remember. Rich is working on a new nose cone specifically for the 3.6. The prototype should be done in a few weeks and is going on my motor.

You might want to talk to Rich if you haven't already ordered your mount. I have Wevo mounts that I am going to use at all four corners as well.

hmmmm, it's already mounted to the motor (and fits just fine), have not yet welded the bulkhead part ...

now i'm confuzzled ...
blink.gif Andy
kdfoust
Yeah.

I say we quit tell'n people about it. Hell, I swivel my engine just for fun sometimes...cause I can

drunk.gif

Later,
Kevin

QUOTE(brant @ Apr 18 2006, 08:03 PM) *

Ok...
so I'm in the minority here
but for racing you really ought to consider the patrick bulkhead mount.

yes it spreads the load out over a 30 or so inch area..

BUT.....

more importantly it pivots.

...SNIP...

nuff said.
brant

Grngoat
Well, if it's already on there, then never mind. It may not be as big a deal as he made it out to be. He's quite the perfectionest you know. I had one of his mounts with the regular nose cone on for a few weeks (never installed in car). He called me one day and asked if he could prototype a new mount on my motor made specifically for the 3.6. Yeah, sure, have at it Rich.

I do have a Clewett belt drive. The pulley is quite a bit smaller than the stock one. The triple groove lower pulley sure looks awful big.
brant
good point Kevin.
I'd rather make the qualifying session while the competition goes home on a trailer due to a "mechanical"

less competition that way
brant
SirAndy
well, what do you know ... just checked the pictures of the engine and sure enough, it's *not* on there ... blink.gif

BUT, it looks like there's plenty of space, that pulley doesn't look all that large ...

confused24.gif Andy
Grngoat
You'll be fine with that pulley. That must be an RS pulley conversion. It's only got a single belt. The stock one has one belt for the fan, one for the alternator, and one for the A/C compresser. So the diameter isn't really different, but it sticks out a lot further. If that came on your motor, you got a freebie. I forget the price, but they're at least a couple bills. Sweet.
Grngoat
Not a great picture, but here's what the stock pulley should look like on a '95 993
Grngoat
And here is with the Clewett pulley. Hmmm, plenty of room, but I can't say I see where the problem is now. I know Rich and I test fit it with the stock pulley and there was a problem, but that was a year ago or so. Oh well, enough of a thread hijack.

Yes the Patrick mount looks pretty good too. I have to agree. I don't like the quick six mounts. Some form of bulkhead mount seems the best way to go.
SirAndy
oh, that is purdy!

wub.gif Andy
Grngoat
Yeah, except for the rusty bolts and washers that look like post-2-1117899824.gif.

I gotta do something about that.
john rogers
I too use the Patrick bulkhead mount as do quite a lot of the VARA and HSR/HSR-West 914-6 conversions, mainly because it spreads the load out on the bulkhead and was foolproof to mount. It is NOT the same as the first one he tried that uses the four cylinder mount points.
campbellcj
Dunno if it's "the best", but I have a Vellios bulkhead mount and it has worked out just fine so far. It is nearly if not exactly identical to the RJ mount.
East coaster
I had a the RJ mount and it would not work with my 3.6. Rich was going to work with me to develop one that would work (Rich is a great guy!), but about that time the new PMS mount came out and it looked better for my application. I sold my RJ mount to someone and picked up the PMS mount. It's a simple concept that I think will work well and it fit the 3.6 perfectly.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
soupbone
Is the PMS mount solid or is that poly bushings I see?
brant
QUOTE(soupbone @ Apr 19 2006, 01:42 PM) *

Is the PMS mount solid or is that poly bushings I see?

a very minimal poly bushing.
more to help promote the rotation than a real vibration dampener.

how about "nearly solid" for an answer

brant
Brad Roberts
I have been on both ends of the engine drop fiasco at the track (RJ and Patrick) RJ's mount is a royal pain in the ass!! in a tub car. IF I was building another dedicated track car, it would be built with PMS mount for the reasons Brant mentioned. Ease of use when it come time for "service". Luckily for 99% of these 3.6 cars.. they wont need to full with valve adjustments (unless they convert them to solid rockers)

Andy,

yes.. you have one of the very first *few* from RJ. I think that mount was ordered from Rich almost 3 years ago now.

B
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.