Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fog light bulbs
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dinomium
I know I should just buy a set of pilots from Craig, but I already have a pair of H3 bulbs and lots of fog lights housings around. SO anybody got an idea on how to convert these to use the H3 style socket?

Thanks, guys!
iamchappy
I did it to mine, I will have to dig them out and open them up to show you, I dont think it took much for me to do it, and man are my fogs bright.
dinomium
QUOTE(iamchappy @ Apr 18 2006, 09:13 PM) *

I did it to mine, I will have to dig them out and open them up to show you, I dont think it took much for me to do it, and man are my fogs bright.

that would rock, chappy! Thanks
dinomium
I have been searching online for just the h3 bulb or lamp holder, but no dice...
Is that called by a different name?
confused24.gif
914Sixer
Email Rich Johnson at a914guy@aol.com. He used to have some kits to do just what you want to do.
dinomium
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Apr 20 2006, 07:52 AM) *

Email Rich Johnson at a914guy@aol.com. He used to have some kits to do just what you want to do.

Thanks for the lead. This was Rich's reply:

"Hi Dino,

The builder of the h3 couplers is Wes Hildreth at H&H Enterprises in Plano, TX. Feel free to call him for a set. (972) 423-8526

Rich"

I have not called him yet.
dinomium
How about this tack: What other lights use the h3 bulb. And not just the 75 914s! I need something mass produced with good chance of being in the U pull junk yard...

If I dont get this figured out soon, I WILL POST ANOTHER POLL, I swear to GAWD!

There, that should get some play...
Eric_Shea
What's the wattage on an H3?
dinomium
QUOTE(dinomium @ Apr 21 2006, 01:59 PM) *

How about this tack: What other lights use the h3 bulb. And not just the 75 914s! I need something mass produced with good chance of being in the U pull junk yard...

If I dont get this figured out soon, I WILL POST ANOTHER POLL, I swear to GAWD!

There, that should get some play...

They run from 35 to 100 from Hella...
Eric_Shea
What do you want to run in there? You can get a 55W replacement bulb for the current socket.
iamchappy
I've got the 100watt bulds in mine. my fogs are stashed away up in the garage rafters and have yet to come across them. I will... later...
Chap
Eric_Shea
Yeah yeah yeah... you said that 3 days ago. Get up there damnit! lol3.gif
iamchappy
I was up there yesterday when Rick alien stopped over, All my 914 parts are up there in ziplocks wrapped in paper towels in plastic bins. literally the whole cars up there but the body, even some of those parts are even up there Im surprised the whole thing doesn't come down. Good thing up here in Minnesota the rafters and trusses are built to stand heavy snow loads. I will go check again...... be back soon.
dinomium
That eric sure can be pushy! HA!
What bulb type are our stock fog lights?

The H3s I have are 85watt yellowstars...
iamchappy
Ok I found them, I did nothing special here basically crimped the base of the bulb socket around the bulb fixture. Now that I see what I did I have to get in there and refine it.
dinomium
thanks, chap. I had concidered that criping idea, but isn't the bulb a little low in the saddle with that particular version?
iamchappy
Nope they seem to work just fine, there not as big and dont take up as much space as the original bulb but the element is probably close to the location of the original bulbs.
Korijo
dino,

i have a set of new h3 bulbs that fit the stock holder. 55w.

$50 [what i paid]
dinomium
QUOTE(Korijo @ Apr 21 2006, 06:17 PM) *

dino,

i have a set of new h3 bulbs that fit the stock holder. 55w.

$50 [what i paid]

Thanks, Dave
I have been told by the CFO (my wifey!) that any parts have to now come from the two tubs in the yard! Dho! So I will have to pass. I already have the h3s, they were SO cheap 7.50 each, so I have to make them work!

Good to hear from you, man! How you doin?
dinomium
Here is the bulb and housing... Just to show ya...
iamchappy
I would just grind and shape the base of the bulb housing to match the sockets channels. Thats what I plan to do. If I can I will fab up some Bulb bases this weekend.
Someone made up some copper or brass sleeves that allowed this but they were spendie considering how little it takes to make them work.
A needle nose and a few minutes my first try, I would of left them this way had you not called attention to this project.
wilchek
These guys are right around the corner from me. Great knowledge and will help get what u need. They have 20 or so different types of H3 bulbs

bulbs page:
http://www.rallylights.com/hella/bulbs.asp

Home page:
http://www.rallylights.com
dinomium
QUOTE(wilchek @ Apr 22 2006, 11:18 AM) *

These guys are right around the corner from me. Great knowledge and will help get what u need. They have 20 or so different types of H3 bulbs

bulbs page:
http://www.rallylights.com/hella/bulbs.asp

Home page:
http://www.rallylights.com

They are the BEST source for Hella lighting and they have PODS! how kewl is that? I got my Yellowstar headlights from them as well... very good guys clap56.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.