Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A/C Charge Help - R12
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Brando
So my 944 (Porsche content) needs a freon charge. I don't have the hundreds of dollars to do an R134 conversion (new lines, new evaporator, new condensor, new compressor, etc). Is there anyone that might know someone who can do an R12 charge here in CaliNaziFornia? As far as I know the system is still good, holds pressure and is good on oil -- just needs to be recharged.

Problem is, you can't buy R12 over the counter anymore.

Thanks! biggrin.gif

~B
Aaron Cox
brando - my german guy in glendora did our R12 volvo's.

lemme know, r12 aint cheap
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Apr 18 2006, 10:29 PM) *

brando - my german guy in glendora did our R12 volvo's.

lemme know, r12 aint cheap

http://local.google.com/local?hl=en&lr=&q=...024989281890529
Mr.C
I have done the conversion a few times the economy way. All I did was hit Wal Mart and buy their conversion kit and filler up. All I really needed was the fitting adapter.
Did this to a 91 Jetta and it blew ice cold for the three years I owned it. Never had a problem.
I also did it to my 84 suburban, but first changed the evaporator. I did this 5 years ago and never had any problems either.
MarkV
Freeze-12 is a r-12 replacement that is supposed to work better than r-134 in a old system that isn't designed for r-134.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...MOBOX%3ANEWLIST
TeamAxisRacing
just find someone that is epa 609 certified. that means you can buy any quantity of refridgerant. if you cant find r-12 id find some r-502 or hp 512. both replacements for r-12 used in transport fridgerantion. both gases have very similar refridgeration propertys as r-12.

word of advice, you say your oil level is fine..... you check it after you add gas. and if you do get it worked on buy a new dryer or whatever comes on your car to suck moisture out of the sytem. smile.gif
racerx7
QUOTE(Mr.C @ Apr 18 2006, 11:19 PM) *

I have done the conversion a few times the economy way. All I did was hit Wal Mart and buy their conversion kit and filler up. All I really needed was the fitting adapter.
Did this to a 91 Jetta and it blew ice cold for the three years I owned it. Never had a problem.
I also did it to my 84 suburban, but first changed the evaporator. I did this 5 years ago and never had any problems either.

This is not the correct way to do it. Because the molecule of the R134 are much smaller than r12. So, over time the will leak. Which is very bad for the environment.
SpecialK
I used R-414b (Hot Shot) on a buddies daughter's car (and a couple of beer coolers at a local bar beer.gif ), and it worked great, and about $220 for a 25lb. can, and is a direct replacement for R-12. Since R-12 is no longer manufactured in the US, anything you buy is recycled and $1200 for a 30lb. can dry.gif . Hot Shot is more effecient than R-12 which will throw off your pressures a bit compared to R-12 (they'll be lower), and it must be installed as a liquid (can upside down) since it's a hybrid freon, and the different gases will boil off at different rates giving you too much of one or the other if install as a gas (can right side up). I had to dick with the cold controls on the beer coolers to keep them from freezing the beer......gottem just right now beer3.gif .

p.s.- You'll still need a license to buy any freons, so if you've got a friend in the HVAC business.... idea.gif

Hot Shot
charlesmac
The easiest, "right way", to do it would be to replace all the o-rings with new ones, have the system flushed out, (lots of car shops can do this, isn't that expensive) you should definately replace the orifice tube/expansion valve, whatever the system has, and replace the dryer/evaporater, get a shop to pull a vacuum on it, and fill 'er upwith your choice of refrigerant, choose from all the previously mentioned infomercials.
but...I have replaced just the filter(expansion valve or orifice tube), added the 134 adapters, pulled a vacuum and filled the system on a few cars and it works great.
Mr.C
QUOTE(racerx7 @ Apr 19 2006, 02:18 AM) *

This is not the correct way to do it. Because the molecule of the R134 are much smaller than r12. So, over time the will leak. Which is very bad for the environment.

Isn't that why they banned the R-12 to begin with? I thought the 134 was suppose to be safe?
racerx7

Isn't that why they banned the R-12 to begin with? I thought the 134 was suppose to be safe?

Safer yes, but you still can not let it leak out. For as bad as this stuff is to the
environment I am surprized they just let anybody do it. Can you tell I passed the
ASE for A7:) I am not talking just about the back yard mechanic. Most mechanics
have no clue. There just paid to do a job quickly. So, for them it is faster to
just hit the little button and see if you have anything in there than pull out
all the gauges etc...

It was a real eye opener when I took the class. Just a little bit of that stuff
(and U mean just a very very little bit) does so much damage.

I am sorry I don't remember the numbers of the top of my head.
(Molecular size, how much does how much damage etc..)
bondo
Many "R12 replacements" contain quite a bit of R134a. Not really any different that doing a conversion, and if you do it wrong, it'll still leak out. And if your system isn't effective enough for 134A, it'll have similar problems with the R12 replacement. R12 is still available, and it's not yet expensive enough to warrant full changeover if the system still works. It may never become super expensive because the number of cars that need it are declining.

It's stunning how expensive AC systems and service are.. the refrigerant is peanuts in the big picture. smile.gif
SLITS
Iffin ya gots a buddy in Mexico, you can buy R12 in lb cans for about $7.00 each (Kragen, Autozone Mexico). Then ya gots to smuggle them across the border.

Ya needs about 3 cans to fill the system.

Iffin ya don't have a vacuum pump and guage manifold...don't even try.

Yes, I gots the machine to do it by weight, but alas no stinkin' license (like it's rocket technology).
vertigo
I have the 609 cert. 60# r12, 25# auto frost, dyes, guages, recovery system and evac system. I use this for my 928's and fathers' 944. I am however a few miles from riverside.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.