Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-6 engine shroud ( concour question)
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
freezing14
I am redoning my -6 but i want it as original as possible ,, my shoud has some tears on the side , nothing that would affect cooloing flows but enough to not win concourse,, is there a way of repairing those,, i have seen a couple of used one in very good shape but they are dark gray or green or some other color,, did the -6 come with only black or is the color representative of the engine size??
jd74914
The engine color represents size IIRC. I don't know if the/6 2.0 was black. I do know that green is for a 2.2
Porsche Rescue
Factory six shroud is black. Here is my dirty one.
freezing14
black ok ,, is there any 911 shroud/ year that were black,, is there such a thing about dark grey color???
maxwelj
Mine is mostly black, except for a gray section on the driver's side ducting air to the oil cooler. The gray material is slick like plastic.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(jd74914 @ Apr 19 2006, 06:33 AM) *

The engine color represents size IIRC. I don't know if the/6 2.0 was black. I do know that green is for a 2.2

WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Green for 2-2.4L 911E and some 2.7 911s. Black for 911T until the 2.4, when it changed to Yellow. Plain Jane 911s had black shrouds in 1974. The Cap'n
Porsche Rescue
I think early 911's were black (66-69) and the stock 914-6 engine was same as 69 911T.
Eric_Shea
T's = Black until MFI then Yellow
E's = Green
S's = Red

That's the 'basic' guide. To answer your question -6's were black. All of them. (except... but I'm guessing you don't have a 916)
Eric_Shea
Search on PP. Damon over there does some miracles with new shrouds for $250??
davep
Eric and the Krusty one pretty much nail it. Natural fibreglass shrouds were used on racing engines and were probably cloth instead of chop gun laid. Be careful of the two sizes of fans though. I believe the 11 blade came in two sizes and the 5 blade in the larger size only. Most of the racing engines came with the small 11 blade fan IIRC.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.