Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: oil
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sk8kat1
I am doing a begining of the season oil change and remembered reading on here that some folks runn a little over full .... what is the purpose and how many qrts do you run ?

bryanc
QUOTE(sk8kat1 @ Apr 19 2006, 07:05 AM) *

I am doing a begining of the season oil change and remembered reading on here that some folks runn a little over full .... what is the purpose and how many qrts do you run ?

On my 4cyl, I fill it to the top marker and then add another 1/4 Quart. Reason is for Autocross. high G loads with the sticky tires in long corners means that lots of oil ends up in the outside valve cover. The extra hopefully keeps some in the sump.
ottox914
I believe the spec for our cars is 3.8 qts with filter change. I just dump in 4 qts and call it good. I auto cross also, and run a "tuna can" and have no starvation issues (that I know of) so far. I will top it off with up to an additional 1/2 qt or so if I'm below the full line.
DNHunt
I go about an eigth of an inch over full. I don't want to see the green light.

Dave
SirAndy

what is the purpose?

race only, i wouldn't overfill for street use ...

theory behind it is that a little extra oil will help prevent oil starvation on hard cornering during AX.

i usually run it ~5mm above the max. mark for AX, otherwise (on the street) i try to keep it just under the max. mark ...

i don't think you really want to overfill on a street car ...
cool_shades.gif Andy
sk8kat1
thanks for the info .. looks like I will be drianing a little out ... smile.gif he

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Apr 19 2006, 10:49 AM) *

what is the purpose?

race only, i wouldn't overfill for street use ...

theory behind it is that a little extra oil will help prevent oil starvation on hard cornering during AX.

i usually run it ~5mm above the max. mark for AX, otherwise (on the street) i try to keep it just under the max. mark ...

i don't think you really want to overfill on a street car ...
cool_shades.gif Andy

Gradskater
My mechanic Bill (is there a mechanics appreciation day? there should be) told me to keep it about an 8th of an inch obove the top line. He speaks. I listen.

My car is street driven (AX once), but usually on windy roads in Berkeley.
Aaron Cox
mine is 3 quarts over.... oh wait, i have a front cooler and lines LOL.

i always just run it a tad over full. 4 qts is good vs 3.8
So.Cal.914
Half a qt.
Mueller
1/2 qrt is recommended for Auto-x....I disagree with Andy..he says for "racing"...many people push thier 914s on the street or back roads which can lead to temp. oil starvation...better to be safe than sorry, so I'd say 1/2 qrt even for street use...

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.