Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hit a snag
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bd1308
now the heat exchangers and muffler combo wont fit anymore, just like last time. Last time I had to dremel off the bolt heads and unch them out with a hammer and drift and with the way these bolts arent turning the way I want them to, I need to do them again.

I wish I had a lift.

I was going to ask what I could do, but I already know sad.gif

b
Brad Roberts
Britt,

help me out, what am I missing here? You trying to put 1.7 HE on a 2.0 muffler or vice versa?

B
Mueller
all heat exchangers (early to late) should be forward/backward compatible with all 3 /4 engines and of all years....you shouldn't have to cut or modify anything to bolt a heat exchanger up to the motor........

Brad Roberts
Wait until I tell him: he may have to "straighten" the exhaust studs if he cant get them to go one properly.

B
davep
I think the best procedure for installing the exhaust is to loosely install both heat exchangers, then add the hanger and the muffler. When all pieces are loosely hooked up, start at the heads and work back tightening things up. If we are talking about a non-stock muffler, or a mismatch of components then all bets are off. The heat exchangers, hanger and muffler are a matched set; you cannot take a 2.0 this and a 1.7 that, it just will not work.

If someone has had to do some fancy footwork with the exhaust studs that could be a serious problem.
Gint
QUOTE(davep @ Apr 19 2006, 05:07 PM) *

I think the best procedure for installing the exhaust is to loosely install both heat exchangers, then add the hanger and the muffler. When all pieces are loosely hooked up, start at the heads and work back tightening things up. If we are talking about a non-stock muffler, or a mismatch of components then all bets are off. The heat exchangers, hanger and muffler are a matched set; you cannot take a 2.0 this and a 1.7 that, it just will not work.

If someone has had to do some fancy footwork with the exhaust studs that could be a serious problem.

agree.gif

On some 914's, that's the *only* way you can get them bolted up with no leaks.
bd1308
1.7/1.8 SS heat exchangers with the god forsaken Manta muffler system.

I'm trying to find a stock example close to me, does anybody have a *CHEAP* HE for a 1.7 they could send me very quickly?

b
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.