Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: what are yellow springs?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
stephen7
I pulled a set of yellow springs out of the rear suspension on my 914. They are the same height as the new 140lb weltmeisters I am putting in - in fact slightly shorter. Any body know what they are - can you tell from the color?

thanks steve
lapuwali
Tells me someone had some yellow paint on hand...

To measure the rate of a spring, put it on a bathroom scale, and step on it to compress it one inch. What the scale reads is (approximately) the rate of the spring. This may be a problem if you're 180lbs and they're 200lb springs...

If the wire is the same diameter all the way along the spring, and they're spaced evenly, it's a linear spring, so you can also compress it half an inch, and multiply the scale reading by two to get the rate. Solves the 200lb spring/180lb tester problem.

If the wire varies in diameter, or the coils are not evenly spaced, it's a progressive spring, so this test won't work all that well.
Andyrew
QUOTE(lapuwali @ Apr 19 2006, 02:46 PM) *

Tells me someone had some yellow paint on hand...

To measure the rate of a spring, put it on a bathroom scale, and step on it to compress it one inch. What the scale reads is (approximately) the rate of the spring. This may be a problem if you're 180lbs and they're 200lb springs...

If the wire is the same diameter all the way along the spring, and they're spaced evenly, it's a linear spring, so you can also compress it half an inch, and multiply the scale reading by two to get the rate. Solves the 200lb spring/180lb tester problem.

If the wire varies in diameter, or the coils are not evenly spaced, it's a progressive spring, so this test won't work all that well.

actually, measure the spring length. subtract one inch, and keep adding weights untill it reaches that length.. Stepping on a scale will give you an inacurage measurement because of the springs in the scale bouncing...
Mueller
mmmmm, Twinkie flavored springs ohmy.gif

with some degree of success, you can also do a google for a spring calculator in which you enter the known measurements of said spring (number of coils, diameter of spring...etc, etc....)

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.