Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I want to clean my tranny
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Hammy
Checking before I start.
Tranny is out and dirty. I have a pressure washer I want to use to get all the guck off the tranny case.
I know there are various holes and things on the tranny, so do I need to avoid anything with the pressure washer/water? Or just go at it and not worry?
Brad Roberts
Pull the throw out bearing off along with the arm. Tape up the holes and blast away. I suggest hitting it with the water first and following up with some brake cleaner.

B
Eric_Shea
...and don't use an engine degreaser. It pits the mag big time.
pjhaun
QUOTE(Hammy @ Apr 19 2006, 02:45 PM) *

Checking before I start.
Tranny is out and dirty. I have a pressure washer I want to use to get all the guck off the tranny case.
I know there are various holes and things on the tranny, so do I need to avoid anything with the pressure washer/water? Or just go at it and not worry?

Can you use lacquer thinner to clean the out side of the tranmission?

Thank You!!!!

redshift
Careful not to scrape it's testicles.

pinch.gif

M
Hammy
QUOTE(redshift @ Apr 20 2006, 05:56 PM) *

Careful not to scrape it's testicles.

pinch.gif

M

I was waiting for a reply like this from you Miles... rolleyes.gif laugh.gif
JPB
If you have thinner on your hands, wash them before you tinkel also unless you wanna dance like that Simson chic on Saturday Night Live. Just a thought.

popcorn[1].gif
redshift
Hardly a need to wait, unless I am busy in meatspace... I meant 'IRL' when I said meatspace..

uhoh.. I meant to say that 'meatspace' is a term meaning in real life... not that I have some space for meat, or something.. in my..

-runs off-

M
Qarl
I remember something about Simple Green from a long time ago.

Good or bad guys?

I know that Purple Power is a great degreaser (get it at Walmart).

Try that!

This kind of tranny needs lot's of bleach.

IPB Image
LvSteveH
I can attest that castrol SuperClean will eat the case. I tried to do a test area on a broken rear cover, let it sit for quite some time, no issues. Cleaned the trans, and yup, it's pitted.........pity. Didn't really hurt it, but won't do it again.
rhodyguy
costco sells a product called Oil Eater that works very well, is cheap, not fumy, and goes a long way. as with any product, pick the heavy stuff off with a 1" putty knife first. diluted the OE cleans a garage floor very well too.

k
sean_v8_914
I scrape off the big chunks first, then I hit it with name brand "Easy OFF". in 15 minutes it all gets soft. them I brush it around lightly and it hoses off clean. dont forget to tape teh top vent tube
davep
For the vent, note the location of the hole (Forward IIRC), clean around the base of it then remove. Replace the vent with a clean wheel bolt, then you can safely powerwash provided you do not aim too closely at the seals ( the last thing you want is to force water and dirt past a seal). Then I always replace the seals. Remember to do only one output seal at a time.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.