Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: did I fry my brain
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
moneysmarts
After doing a lot of work this winter, today I decided to add some gas and fire it up. In my haste, I reversed the battery terminal connections. When I connected the + cable, I got a nice spark. A quick switch back around, and I was ready to go. After several seconds of cranking, it started....but was running very very rough. Because I just had my injectors refurbished, I decided to pull the electrical connector on #1...no effect on the engine. Same for #2, and 3. Only #4 killed the motor. I decided to pull the injectors to see the spray pattern. Nothing. No gas. After I shut down, there was a zap...zap...zap noise coming from the coil and dizzy. When I pulled the coil wire, it was arcing to the coil housing. I had to disconnect the battery to prevent shock treatment. WTF did I do now. No juice to three injectors and a dangerous coil. wacko.gif headbang.gif WTF.gif
fiid
Oh man. This sounds scary.

I think I'd probably try to tackle the systems one by one.

Perhaps unhook the coil and check the fuelling situation first. If you're truly getting no fuel on any injectors, you probably have a brain problem, although it's not impossible that other things are unhappy too....

If you have a pertronix - it's almost certainly dead - I think the condenser would be suspect and you might need a new coil. You might want to try measuring some resistances of good stuff verses your stuff and see if something is obviously wrong.
moneysmarts
blink.gif OK I went back to check the coil situation again. I guess that arc was because my ignition was turned on (after the car stalled I just kept working on the engine and forgot). So I guess the coil is probably OK. Is it possible that I toasted the ECU when I reversed the battery connections? owned.gif I am definitly not getting any power at the #1, #2, an #3 injectors. Is it possible for the engine to limp along on one cyl? If the brain is dead, who's got one they'll sell on the cheap? '74 2.0
Thanks
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.