Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Damnit! Any help with a CIS fuel pump?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Dr Evil
Well, I put fuel into my 914 tonight and tried to pressurize the system. My car quickly started to pee on the floor under the fuel pump. Soooo, I can see no way that I can be ready for Hershey with my car as I need a CIS fuel injection pump for a 74 911 2.7 engine. mad.gif sad.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif

Anyone know of a cross over part?
Brad Roberts
OUCH. I checked wholesale on a new one for you.. 446.00

part # 911 608 110 02

911T 73 CIS and 74 - 76

I dont have a used one. I'm betting most of the used ones will leak also (they dry out from the gas)

B
Brad Roberts
How long has it had "gas" on it? Some of them come back to life. I try to store them with gas in them.

B
Dr Evil
Ya, prices are way high. Thanks for looking. It leaked from the electrical connection (which I found to be wierd).

It had gas on it for about 2 min....should I reassemble it and soak it?
plas76targa
Mike,

I'll offer to pull the FP off my 76 911 if ya want to borrow it until you can get another. (my car isn't going anywhere soon anyway). Problem is I can't help you get ready before Sat. I'll bring it up Sat if ya need it. Assuming it's easy to access and remove?

Matt
Brad Roberts
I would. They all leak from that same place. It is a rubber seal that dries out when it is not soaked in gas.

What you should do is find out what the requirements are and locate a reasonably priced replacement.

Can you show me a picture of it "apart"?

B
Dr Evil
Matt, your a fine human being, but I need a CIS fuel pump from a 911 and a 914 one will not work. Too low PSI. Thanks for the offer, though.
Brad Roberts
Mike,

do you have any vaseline or KY ?? need to prep you before I hit you with the bill..LOL

Just kidding. I want you to lube the seals with something.

umm.. he said "76 911"

B
Dr Evil
I can't show yo a pic of it appart as it is not completely apart. I stopped short of cracking the case like a coco nut in my frustration. I figured it was crapped. I may not have completely destroyed it (?)

damn
Brad Roberts
You may have not destroyed it completely.

Somebody I know managed to locate replacement seals for the pumps.. I would check with a company called "Python" they do a lot of the rebuilding.

B
Dr Evil
Ooops, ya he said 911. Sorry Matt. it realy is not worth the trouble. It might not even match.

I am a bit nauseated at the moment as I was doused pretty good with gas and am afraid to fart near the fireplace.

I can try to lube the one seal that I can see, but the can seal is the one that is crapping on my parade. If I can reassemble it and test it (BIG mofo if) I will tomarrow. I'll go soak it tonight.
Brad Roberts
Shoot me a picture of the pump.. before I head off for dinner. I'm just walking across the street.

I'll tell you how far you can dig into the pump when I see which one it is.

B
Dr Evil
Too late, it is assembled (?) and soaking. I vasolined the uper seal. I'm pretty sure its fuched, but wattayagonnado eh?

Let me find a pic for ya.
r_towle
try autosportengineering.com in Stow MA..
He may have one..and he could overnight it.

Rich
r_towle
Duh.
www.foreignintrigue.com

He has one.

Rich
Dr Evil
Here is a pic
r_towle
both the places I mentioned have used parts...they can get new..but they have used...both are east coast companies...

www.foreignintrigue.com has lots of dismantled cars...so he has one and will overnight it to you.

www.autosportengineering.com is a porshce shop...might have it..

www.dcautomotive.com
East coast dismantler...

Rich
Dr Evil
$591 from www.foreignintrigue.com, yikes

I am gonna keep an eye open for one at Hershey if I can t get it to work
Dr Evil
Ah, Rich. I see now. I am not gonna rush this as I have classes still this week. Thanks for the used parts lead. I will call them in the morning.
r_towle
yup, not new...used
all three have them.

Rich
rick 918-S
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Apr 19 2006, 04:47 PM) *

Well, I put fuel into my 914 tonight and tried to pressurize the system. My car quickly started to pee on the floor under the fuel pump. Soooo, I can see no way that I can be ready for Hershey with my car as I need a CIS fuel injection pump for a 74 911 2.7 engine. mad.gif sad.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif

Anyone know of a cross over part?

I'm running a Volvo pump and accumulator... Works on my CIS. 4.7

Can you say cheap salvage parts?
ejm
agree.gif Most any CIS pump will work... along with Volvo lots of VW + Audi's had CIS.... shouldn't be to hard to find one in the boneyard... and new pumps for many of these can be had for less than $200
sixnotfour
77 -83 911 and later Pump cheaper and used on way more applications.
SLITS
Ok Mike.....Python Injection is in Stanton, CA. I was there yesterday. I can check and see what they get for the pump if you wish.
nein14
Try the partsbin.com
pek771
There is a suitable replacement pump, not an OEM. It is way cheaper. Unfortuneately, I don't have the name of it at work. I'll post it when I get home, or if I remember
Dr Evil
ejm,
that is what I was thinking, but my concerns are:
1. what pressure can I get/do I need?
2. What flow rate is necessary?

If I could match these criteria I would not worry. The big beef is that I doubt I will get a part by tonight or Fri. The junk yards here SUCK. I miss CA.

Rick,
What pressure/flow does your pump run, and what does your accumulator keep the pressure at?

sixnotfour,
True, but the 77 had a two pump system with a front and a rear. If the rear meets the parameteres that I need for my system then I would likely get one of those as thery are much cheaper and easier. An ebay guy told me that the 77 style is the right pump, but I am sure there is no returns and he may just want a sale.

SLITS,
I searched python and found them to only have the later style 77 type. No '74 type. If you find something, please let me know and thanks.

nein14,
I'll look into them.

I have my friend from class with me today that is into cars and is a local. Maybe she can point me to a parts yard.

What models/years should I be looking at for a surrogate pump?

Does it matter if the donor car has a 4 or 6 cylinder engine? I figure equal displacement engines will have equal pressure volume pumps.

Mikey just had to get a /6......

Series9
Pressure is determined by the regulator on the CIS, not the pump.

I agree that almost any CIS pump should work.
ejm
agree.gif and the accumulator holds residual pressure on the system when the engine is off. This is needed to prevent the fuel from boiling in the lines and causing a hard start hot problem.
Dr Evil
That all makes sense. I guess the difference between the $500 pump and the $150 pump is the P word and the mounting location.

"I agree that almost any CIS pump should work."

Joe, I am only afraid that I will not get one of the "almost any" ones. I'll see about hitting a yard or two. The yards out here need you to know tha model and year and then pull it for you. PITA. A new one will take a week to get here and I have definetly given up on rushing. Gonna be driving the Benz........I guess I will have to sit in a parking spot with my seat holding a 914club sign for the Hershey meet.
Dr Evil
Anyone know what PSI range I am looking for? There are many after market that are inexpensive and would actually be easy to mount, but I need to know what range I am looking for.
Allan
Mike,

I have a FI pump out of a 2.0 /4. I know that it'll put out well over 100 psi. Joe sharp can verify it. I just don't know if it has the volume.

You can have it if you think it'll work.
Dr Evil
Good question, and thanks. I found that Bosch 0 580 464 007 looks exactly the same and is for a 69-75 Volvo 140. No idea of the pressure and flow. Or if the 140 was K jet or not. I'll be looking.

If I could find out what pressure range I am looking for then I would have an easier time.

I may have a /4 pump in a box somewhere, but I am concerned about volume as well. I'll let you know.
Thanks again.
Series9
CIS runs around 75psi, depending on the exact application. Once again, the pressure is determined by the regulator, not the pump. Yes, the pump has to be compatible with the pressure and flow requirements. I firmly believe a CIS pump from any '80s Golf/Jetta/Scirocco would work on a '74 2.7.

I will probably confirm this next month on the TurtleGirl installation ('77 2.7 w/CIS).

A /4 pump will not work. That system runs in the 30s psi and that pump was not designed to handle the high pressure a CIS regulator would attempt to create.
Dr Evil
Well, I was just looking around at some systems and they run cis at 48-60psi...or that is just when the injectors open. Volvo is looking like a good donor. I'll check 80's VWs too. Thanks.
Series9
This one WILL work.

You can't have it tomorrow, but it's new.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PORSCHE-FUE...055629723QQrdZ1
Dr Evil
Yup, that is one that i have been coming across regularly for many models. The one end is funky and in need of replacing to work with my system. Ebay has a load. My fule pump has a wierd Bosch number on it 158025499. I can't find a match anyware. The one for the volvo is on ebay and is at $12 new.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Bosch-elect...056720557QQrdZ1

Not sure if I should jump on this one as it is the same looking pump as the OE. The Bosch p/n that I got off of another site for Volvo, Porsche, and Renault is 0 580 464 069. I couldn't even find a listing for 007 on the site.

Any info? I'll be getting one, just trying to get some info and make an informed decision.
Series9
The 'funky end' is a check valve. You just need the banjo fitting and cap that goes on it. They are not hard to find.
ejm
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Apr 20 2006, 07:10 PM) *

The one for the volvo is on ebay and is at $12 new.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Bosch-elect...056720557QQrdZ1

Auction says its for a '74 .... seems to me Volvo ran a version of D-jet back then so that pump would be for a lower pressure system

This one WILL work.

You can't have it tomorrow, but it's new.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PORSCHE-FUE...055629723QQrdZ1

agree.gif great price....buy one... he has eight available with only two bids....I have a used pump I'll bring down tomorrow.... do you have a banjo and cap nut?
sixnotfour
77 later had one pump up front . 73-75 one pump in back like yours. Turbo's have 2 pumps.
Series9
That's true, but the late pump will work by itself for a 914 application.

All the pumps 'push' really well, but none 'suck' (go ahead, I know) very well, so mount it close to the tank.

Mine is in the front with all the oil equipment.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(Series9 @ Apr 20 2006, 05:52 PM) *

That's true, but the late pump will work by itself for a 914 application.

All the pumps 'push' really well, but none 'suck' (go ahead, I know) very well, so mount it close to the tank.

Mine is in the front with all the oil equipment.

I've been out of town, I agree with all these guys. Any CIS pump should work fine. I mounted mine under the tank. When it's running I can hear the fuel swoosh in the tank through the return line.
Dr Evil
Ok, a few questions/thoughts.

I have my pump in the stock 73 location due to not wanting to push that much pressure through my stainless center tunnel lines that have no flared or barbed fittings. If they do not suck too well, then theoretically I am not gonna have luck with this set up anyway.

Can I move my pump up front with my curent tubing setup? If so, I would be happy.

But, if I can move my pump up front by the tank, whre do I put the accumulator?

There is some evedence to suggest that the 74 volvo is D-jet so I will pass on that pump.

As for the two pump one pump deal, I was just going by what the parts pimps were listing them as. They were saying that one is a "volume" pump and the other a "pressure" pump. I have looked at a lot of sites, though and have no idea where I saw what. I am glad that you guys think I can use a 77 with no prob. Much easier.

ejm,
I have all of the goodies as they were on the pump. If you see the pump pic I posted, that side fitting is a banjo.

You guys have been really helpful so far and I really appreciate it.

Gonna have to do some tranny rebuilds to pay for the fuel pump...I will be getting some cores soon.
Joe Bob
A guy in the SD PCA mag is advertsing a pump from a 75 911....$250.00.
Series9
Because the 914 tank is higher than a 911 tank, it should provide gravity flow on its own. Before you move the pump up front and risk putting 75psi on un-barbed lines, I would try it in the stock location and see how it works. It may be fine.

If you do move it up front, you don't need to change the location of your accumulator.
Dr Evil
Thanks Mikey,
I got a guy offering me a used one on the bird board for $75 shipped....not sure if I should bite, or go for new....if I can.

I'll play it where it lies then Joe. Thanks
Series9
If you have access to any more rebuilt interior parts for the TurtleGirl project, I'll buy a new pump for you.

We need almost everything.
rick 918-S
Be very careful with your fuel connections. I had a biotch of a time building a fuel tight system. I used black plastic fuel line with barbed fittings. You will really want to watch this.
Dr Evil
Hey Joe,
sorry dude, I have nothing left. When I moved I gave it all to Al to sell and its all gone.

Rick,
The lines and stuff I have used for a while with my 2.0. I just had to add the fuel pump back in the stock location and then plumb it up. All of the CIS stuff past the pump is stock....wish me luck on this part.

Do you guys think that I should get the used one for $75?
Dr Evil
Ok, forgot to metion that the $75 one is a '77 pump.

I like to treat this place like an accessible data base for all 914 owners. So, I found some good info on different model bosch pumps that may work for other people wishing to convert to CIS, etc.

All of these pumps start with the 0 580 254 with the numebrs listed on the page being the last three numbers of the full part #.

*Bosch 910 pump is 200 litres per hour and supports 450 bhp at 73.5 PSI # 0 580 254 910
*Bosch 975 pump is 228 litres per hour and supports 500 bhp at 73.5 PSI # 0 580 254 975
*Bosch 984 pump is 228 litres per hour and supports 500 bhp at 73.5 PSI # 0 580 254 984
*Bosch 044 pump is 330 litres per hour and supports 730 bhp at 73.5 PSI # 0 580 254 044
*Bosch 040 pump is 235 litres per hour and supports 520 bhp at 73.5 PSI # 0 580 254 040

And more indepth info on these pumps can be found here:
http://clam.rutgers.edu/~dreadsct/resell/f...mp/fuelpump.txt
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.