Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Have I gone too far?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tcarney
All
I'm new to the group. Just purchased a near original straight 74 2.0. no dings, no dents, the original fi and ac. BUT..rust in the battery tray area and below, on down to the inner rocker and beyond. Pictures attached.

I've see the Restoration Hw and Pelican offering for replacement steel panels. The real question I have - is it worth fixing? My intent is to buy a welder and learn how to work it. I'm not afraid to cut into it and replace whole panels, just questioning if the result will be sound. Then I still have to replace ll the rubber and probably repaint.

I know...I probably should have passed and bought a better one, but this was a deal and is still better than the 914 I owned in college - and then I didn't have two nickels to spend to fix it.

Taking any and all comments. Thanks!
Tim
Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment
jasons
Personally, its more rust repair than I would want to do. But, I live in Arizona and I know I can find better. The questions you need to ask yourself is why and where do I want to be? If you want to do the work for the sake of doing the work, learning some new skills etc. Than dive right in, I am sure that is repairable. I wouldn't fix it trying to save money though, I would look for a CA rust free tub and transfer your good parts. I know there are people here that wouldn't back down from that, but they all live back east where rust is more plentiful than 914's. Where I live, I wouldn't F! with it.
914-8
Here in California, what you have on your hands is affectionately known as a "parts car."
r_towle
where r u located?
Its gonna make a big difference in how you proceed.

Rich
So.Cal.914
If money is not an issue than I would say that it can be fixed. And when you are done you will have the right to say that you saved a German/American Icon. And after you are done with it, having learned to weld welder.gif and fabricate metal sawzall-smiley.gif you will know that it was done right. But is it worth it to you?

Good Luck and happy grinding. smoke.gif

TeamAxisRacing
help.gif thats a pretty nice hell hole. oh btw welcome.png
Speedster07
welcome.png

WoW I thought mine was bad, I hope you have a shop or at lease 8 sets of jackstands
Good luck it will be fun. beerchug.gif
JoeSharp
Fisrt of all Tim. welcome.png Thats a lota work. I wish you luck in your project, you've come to the right place. This is the 914 center of the world.
:PERMAGRIN: Joe
tdgray
OK... now that I see all the left coast people have chimed in with thier usual "OMG thats a parts car" because it has some rust problems I will finish.

Parts are available. You will need to explore more deeply to how much rust there is. Check the firewall and floor pans carefully.

This is a part of the prone to rust due to the location of the battery tray. You will also want to check the longs. Pull the rocker panels and inspect with a screwdriver.

After you determine the extent of the rust it is up to you to determine what is too much. Since replacement parts are available that should help in your decision process.

You will need to learn to weld and need a place to work on it (yes and jack stands).

Let us know what you decide and welcome.png

Oh and check out my progress thread... lots of rust to view
tcarney
Thanks all. So the optimist in me (with big balls and lots of dough) tells me to proceed. To answer questions, I'm in Maryland and have the garage space and most of the tools, some skill and the determination to proceed. The last variable is the motor. It has been in a garage for 13 years, and been turned over a few times, I figured that, at the least I would
change the oil
replace the gas
put oil in the cylinders
remove the coil wire turn it several (many?) times
reconnect the coil
see if the puppy starts

Anything else I should do?
michel richard
At least the engine is a 2.0. You have what sounds like a plan for it.

drewvw

hey what the hell right? Give 'er a go. You'll learn a ton and we need more east coasters biggrin.gif

welcome.png
redshift
Wow! No hell hole on that car! The hole is so big, hell is plain old MISSING!

I'd patch that wish expanding foam, and alumniminimum foil.

Black paint is your friend. Get a paper bag, and huff the fumes.

M
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.