Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: the mystery holes
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sk8kat1
there are 6 holes under there with plastic plugs in them .... there are nuts attached inside the roll bar -- what are they for? confused24.gif
Eddie Williams
ski rack
thewheel69
I'm by no means an expert here but I believe they were for some kind of luggage/rack mount... there actually is a bike rack that mounts to these. I know, I have one!

Hope this helps... I'm sure others more knowledgeable will pipe in...
914-8
yes, they are bolt holes for racks.

also, look on the windshield header - under the rubber, you can see two plastic rectangular plugs (one on d side, one on pass side). Those are removable, leaving holes to mount the front part of the rack!
So.Cal.914
The ski race was a very clean install. One small piece mounted under roll bar and the other mounted to the rear bumper thru the tow eye hole. I had one too.
smoke.gif
sk8kat1
cool.. well my plan is to fabricate and attach a mouting plate using those holes .. so I can install a 3rd break light w/o drilling into the roll bar itself... at least that's the plan smile.gif
iamchappy
I had a ski rack and used it too, I had it sitting in the basement workshop for years why I tossed it I dont know.
Eric_Shea
Ski rack would be cool...
brer
like zees.
Joe Bob
Mount the third tail light on the engine grill.....
SirAndy
funny how the same stuff comes up every other month or so ...

while it is true that the *aftermarket* ski rack uses those holes to mount brackets, that is not their original purpose.

the holes are part of the factory "Hohlraumversiegelung" system and are used to inject insulation foam into the hollow parts of the 914 frame.

see this old thread, or, just do a search on "Hohlraumversiegelung"

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?show...1&st=&p=&#entry

beerchug.gif Andy
gregrobbins
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Apr 19 2006, 09:52 PM) *

funny how the same stuff comes up every other month or so ...

while it is true that the *aftermarket* ski rack uses those holes to mount brackets, that is not their original purpose.

the holes are part of the factory "Hohlraumversiegelung" system and are used to inject insulation foam into the hollow parts of the 914 frame.

see this old thread, or, just do a search on "Hohlraumversiegelung"

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?show...1&st=&p=&#entry

beerchug.gif Andy

Are you sure? There are threads for a 10mm bolt. If the holes were to inject foam, they would not need bolts.
SirAndy
QUOTE(gregrobbins @ Apr 19 2006, 09:57 PM) *

Are you sure? There are threads for a 10mm bolt. If the holes were to inject foam, they would not need bolts.

no, i'm not sure, but the factory was ...

btw. they're supposed to be plugged and not left open ...
cool_shades.gif Andy
East coaster
The pictured ski rack in the previous post is an aftermarket rack. I had a factory ski rack that mounted to these holes and the windshield frame as mentioned. It was pretty cool, it's a thin tubular chrome rack front and rear with leather straps for the skis. I thought about keeping it just 'cause it was cool, but I sold it to someone who would actually use it. I can't find any pics of it...sorry!
davep
Yes, the threaded holes were part of the accessory mount system as are the plastic receivers in the windshield frame. However, do not remove the plastic receivers to use the front mounts. The plastic pockets are there to protect the windshield frame. Do not leave the racks in place for extended periods. The tongue on the front of the rack displaces the rubber seal, and extended use will cause permanent deformation of that very expensive seal.
IronHillRestorations
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Apr 19 2006, 08:52 PM) *

Sounds like a good explanation, except there isn't any foam inside the top piece of the roll bar.
SirAndy
QUOTE(9146986 @ Apr 20 2006, 07:52 AM) *

Sounds like a good explanation, except there isn't any foam inside the top piece of the roll bar.

and you should be thankful for that!

it was a factory (dealer?) option to have them actually add the spray foam, it was not done by default.
so, unless the original owner of your car paid extra to have his car all foamed up, you won't have any.

BUT, the important point here is that there are quite a few access holes on the car that were supposed to be used for injecting the foam, plus there's a list of points where they would have *drilled* holes to get into cavities ...
wavey.gif Andy
davep
Andy, where did you get this information? I've never hear, nor read that anywhere in the past thirty years.
Aaron Cox
anyone need a ski rack?

i got one on my shelf.
JeffBowlsby
Dave P, the foam injection diagram is from DGVWP buch, see the post Andy referenced. Here is the factory sk-rack with mounts, hey I like the ability to add multiple photos in s each post!:

Aaron Cox
never seen that one before....

i have the style like brer's. that is cool jeff!
SirAndy
QUOTE(davep @ Apr 20 2006, 11:18 AM) *

Andy, where did you get this information? I've never hear, nor read that anywhere in the past thirty years.

how good is your german?
biggrin.gif Andy
seanery
very cool Jeff! thumb3d.gif
seanery
funny, I have the big book and I don't get nearly as much out of it as Andy does headbang.gif
davep
QUOTE(seanery @ Apr 20 2006, 11:19 AM) *

funny, I have the big book and I don't get nearly as much out of it as Andy does

That goes for me too. Had the book for 10 to 20 years now. Couple of the guys were supposed to help me get it translated.

This is the ski rack that was available 30 years ago. In stainless though it looks kinda dirty now.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.