Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: To badge or not to badge
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
thewheel69
I hope you all bear with me on this question... confused24.gif
DanT
" Jou don need no stinkin' badges"

I personally like the clean, smooth stock appearance of no badge. I removed the one that was on my car and had the holes filled when I did repaint. biggrin.gif

Besides if they need the badge to figure out what it is, it doesn't much matter does it?
thewheel69
Click to view attachmentWhat a beauty! Thanks...

I guess I should add my front end pic too!
Heeltoe914
I am thinking the same do I wont to add the badge? I just ordered a badge from the 70s that is in great shape and looks as gold as I remmenber from the 70s. lets see what othrers think. But I will say if you do Try and put one of that erra???? (spelling of a 914 owner)
Joe Bob
I prefer to use stickers in place of badges....less chance of some crackhead taking a screwdriver to them and prying them off....

They also can be peeled off and changed when ya gets tired of them...
So.Cal.914
It's one of the few things that the factory forgot to put on. I 've added a bunch of crap to mine, but none gave me as much of a thrill as that stupid badge. It's one addition that I get to see. smoke.gif
P.S. Beauty, Nice color
914-8
I had to fill in the holes drilled by the previous owner to restore my hood to it's factory smooth, clean, unblemished surface.

The 914 was born without a badge. The factory didn't forget to put one on, it was left off intentionally and is part of the unique history of the 914.

Everyone drilled their hoods and added one during the insecure NARP 70's (along with PORSCHE rocker panels, PORSCHE rear reflectors, PORSCHE side stripes, etc. etc. etc.)

Yours is a rare escapee! 30+ years. Don't be the one to sully its hood after all this time.
anthony
I say go badgeless just because almost everybody has put the Porsche crest on their 914.
Trekkor
First step with both of mine was, put on badge.

I like 'em. I won't try to convince you to.
If I end up with your car somehow, one's going on.

KT
iamchappy
They need to be put in the right spot, I've seen some mounted to high on the lid which is not appealing to me.
I just drilled my hood for my fuel door and my bling limited edition chrome badge which is going to look great on my black 914 turbo gt.
So.Cal.914
Well I guess he told me.

"insecure NARP 70's...... " finger.gif
Elliot_Cannon
I like mine with the badge.
Rand
I like the looks of the badge on my gloss black hood. But if/when I repaint I won't be putting it back on. It's not important to me.

The poll is interesting, but do what YOU like.

beerchug.gif
John
Why all the Porsche badges? Doesn't anyone put the VW badge on the hood?
lotus_65
the badge, especially on a black car, is undenyably cool.

but i think the only time others need to know what you have is while they try and get a glimpse of your disappearing tail!
mcbain77
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Apr 19 2006, 08:31 PM) *

I like mine with the badge.

Badge or no badge - That ride is sick!!!!

smilie_pokal.gif
tod914
Pass on the badge. If they want to know what it is, they can look at the engine stamp.
ptravnic
I prefer the badge, or rather, to let my insecurities be on public display...
balljoint
Me like both. My car has one, and I like it that way. I also like that some people don't have one and don't want one. stan.gif

............of course if you are concerned about the weight aspect then..........
MoveQik
I don't think the badge really does squat one way or the other. Mine has one, I like it. If mine didn't have one, I wouldn't even really notice nor would I put one on. Sorta like I won't put in any extra effort to take it off. Looks good either way smilie_pokal.gif
Elliot_Cannon
Actually, cars with badges are faster.

Elliot
Spoke
I like the badge on the hood. Will do the same with the green 74.

Spoke
1970 Neun vierzehn
How many "crest" polls do we need? confused24.gif
effutuo101
I have a rear reflector on mine. But when I go with the 916 bumpers, that is coming off. I like the stickers on flared cars. I will copy some members and put stickers behind the flares ala Ferrari. And I really liked a small Porsche sticker on a license plate at RCC last year. Was that Fergs? Since nobody seems to read the Huge PORSCHE on the back reflector anyway and want to tell me what a cool Ferrari I am driving, I think I will let them guess from the back and IF they pass me, they can read or assume. It all boils down to personal choice. smoke.gif
914-8
Before (with crest) and after (without).

Now c'mon, which looks better?

happy11.gif av-943.gif

Heeltoe914
In the 70s Dealers where adding the Badge right on the showroom floor so its not really a none OEM addition. confused24.gif I say do what you like it wont change the final sale 1 cent.
Gint
I prefer my 914's nekkid
JPB
Ib joo hab a singel playz to pud dat ting, its gotta be on da hood you know, like a Ferarri! Ledem know joo godda Porrrcha an let dem azholes sing iz no Porcha!!

beer.gif Alcohol induced wisdom, let the words ring.
john grier
No to BADGES!!!
My yeller has one on it now from the PO but when it's time to paint it will not be there.
Letters on the engine grill OK
Letters on the rocker panels NOT
Pat Garvey
bootyshake.gif
Nope - no badge. The Factory didn't see fit to put it on anything but pre-production 914's so I wouldn't do it either. If you do, use the decal-type - don't drill holes you may regret later.
ewdysar
QUOTE(914-8 @ Apr 20 2006, 10:25 AM) *

Before (with crest) and after (without).

Now c'mon, which looks better?

happy11.gif av-943.gif

The one with the clear lenses... I don't think that the badge matters one way or the other. beerchug.gif

Eric
Air_Cooled_Nut
QUOTE(thewheel69 @ Apr 19 2006, 08:20 PM) *

Click to view attachmentWhat a beauty! Thanks...

I guess I should add my front end pic too!

whoa. drooley.gif

Smooth seats look nice! Thanks for posting your car, I'll add to my list of things to my car: Re-upholster seats with smooth leather -- no basket weaves or bumpy textures.
drewvw
ironically, I put in a large order at Pelican today and debated whether it was worth it to shell out an extra 45 bones for one of those "orange" hood crests.

I decided against....for now.
lotus_65
QUOTE(drewvw @ Apr 25 2006, 02:57 PM) *

ironically, I put in a large order at Pelican today and debated whether it was worth it to shell out an extra 45 bones for one of those "orange" hood crests.

I decided against....for now.

i like the silver crests. i'd put one on my toolbox.
turboman808
I'm gonna badge mine at some point. Getting sick of people saying "Hey nice Fiat".
SLITS
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Apr 20 2006, 09:36 AM) *

Actually, cars with badges are faster.

Elliot

Actually Skypilot, the induced drag caused by the mounting of triangular shaped object on the otherwise smooth surface of the wing severly disrupts airflow by causing eddies and turbulence which in turn decreases the forward speed by a significant amount. This concept is exemplified by howFUCHIN' SLOW YOU ARE DRIVING and displays your insecurity as to your real identity.

This in turn, as you well know, leads to stalling 'cause you can't maintain sufficient airspeed to produce the required lift toKEEP YOUR FAT ASS OFF THE TARMAC.

bye1.gif

av-943.gif

smoke.gif I don't remember if my car has one or not.
zen motorcycle
If you want to see a green one with the badge on stop by beer3.gif
sixnotfour
I don't remember if my car has one or not.

seeing how you paid a whole five bucks for it probably Not.
ztbell
!GOT TO SHOW YOU NO STINKING BADGES! burnout.gif burnout.gif
Joe Bob
Sounds like FAT BOY SLITS is off his meds agin.... blink.gif

I just printed up a 1.7 badge for my new ride....
D1A3
I'm OK with existing badges on hoods, but think if you do not have one, you should preserve the originality.

I wanted a badge too. My solution... I put a front license plate on with a genuine crest in the middle. It is a "Slimline" style and they come in black or chrome and match up well on the front bumper. You can get them at any dealership or Porsche Shop and they are a "Genuine Porsche" product.

Click to view attachment

--Jason
RickS
Who cares? Do what you think looks good to you.

Personally, I like 'em with and without depending on the car/color. My car came with one already installed, and its fine. If I had my druthers, I wouldn't have added it but will not delete it.
tracks914
I Used 2 sided body moulding tape to attach my badge. (hasn't moved in 3 years and if someone wanted it that bad it wouldn't damage the hood if they pryed it off)If I want it off it can come off without leaving holes or marks. If this tape existed in the 70's all the dealers would have knocked off the studs and just used tape.
I say badge if you like.
PanelBilly
I don't care very much about the front crest. Both ways looks good to me, but I do like when the back side identifies the engine. If you did all the work (or paid someone to do it) to modify the stuff we can't see, let us know whats under that hood. AFTER we catch up to you.
McMark
QUOTE(tracks914 @ Aug 19 2006, 07:06 AM) *

I Used 2 sided body moulding tape to attach my badge. (hasn't moved in 3 years and if someone wanted it that bad it wouldn't damage the hood if they pryed it off)If I want it off it can come off without leaving holes or marks. If this tape existed in the 70's all the dealers would have knocked off the studs and just used tape.
I say badge if you like.

That's the best answer, by far! All new car emblems are held on with tape. If it works for them, it works for me. Tape it on and have the best of both worlds.
SGB
I didn't vote. I don't have one. I think they just dont look good, even on a 911. Too glaring in the surrounding flat space. But if'n ya'll wantcha one, put'r right on thar. I've got porsche crest wheel centers. I'm not against the crest, b/c the 914 really is a Porsche. I just like the uber-flatness of the front as is.
banksyinoz
poke.gif its a 914

i said yes to a front emblem just so those outta the know have atleast some clue as they are not so many here.....

and also maybe the simple

914-6
914-8

on the rear

just my $0.20 here in oz
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.