Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What's this cover plate used for?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Eddie914
IPB Image

Eddie
Eddie914
I was afraid to look ...

IPB Image

The horror!

No wonder the clutch cable needed frequent adjustment.

Eddie
Cap'n Krusty
It patches the firewall where it collapsed from the rigors of holding the clutch cable tube in place. If you're lucky, the wall under it was properly repaired, the tube welded to both the wall and the patch, and the 2 other mounting points were redone by welding and reinforcement. From the looks of it, that may not be the case. The Cap'n
davep
That is a homemade patch to try to repair a torn firewall. Probably the clutch tube tore out, and this was the fix or part of it. If there is no evidence of a repair up in front of the gearshift lever, then they did not fix the front of the tube. Hey, another job to tackle.
toon1
that is an add on. it wasised to either acsess the tunnel for some reason or was a reinforcing plate for the clutch tube that never got finished.

If the intent was to use it for a clutch tube repair, it's a good one. It adds alot of surface area at the firewall.
Eddie914
Here is my repair.

My welding isn't pretty but I hope it's strong enough.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Do you think it will work?

Eddie
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.