Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tire and Flare spacing?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Kerrys914
sad.gif
I got some new tires and wheels and the spacing between my front flares and the rubber is very close.

How much flex'n takes place at speed and in turns? How much spacing should I have between the front edge of the tire and the lower edge of the flare? When I turn the tires the spacing (gap) gets small, close to 1/2".

Thoughts?
Joe Ricard
Depends on what kind of shock mount you have.
The stock ones do flex a bit and probably more if they are old. How compliant is your suspension? big sway bar and heavier torsion bars will also minimize body roll and limit tire travel.

I managed to make a mark in one of my slicks in front as I was turning out of a slide. I have about 3/8" clearance at the top of the tire to flared fender lip.
nomore9one4
Kerry, Got my plates today. thumb3d.gif Thanks for your input, it made the decision much easier. beerchug.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Kerrys914 @ Apr 20 2006, 08:53 AM) *

When I turn the tires the spacing (gap) gets small, close to 1/2".

i have less than that. but luckily only on one side!
blink.gif Andy
nomore9one4
I just checked the 72' and I have about 1/2" on the drivers side(rocker end).Thus far I have had no rubbing issues. Although, I do not hit corners at high speed.I don't think you will have a problem. beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.