Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Another 3.0ltr 914 project
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
alan9144
Ok, I was swithering whether I should go Subaru or 911 when a 3.0ltr sc came up at (I hope!) a good price, complete with loom, ecu, tank, cooler etc. So I bought it, decision made.

Wont get it for a few weeks so I have been immersing myself in old posts on the subject and think the following is the bits and pieces I need to do.

1. Fabricate mount bar
2. Reverse CIS intake to fit in engine bay
3. Modify Gear linkage
4. Fit oil tank and cooler (can a 911 tank be used?)
5. Fabricate exhaust
6. Wire up electrics
7. connect fuel supply & return
8. Move engine lid catch
9. Fire up and go for a blast (wishful thinking probably) happy11.gif

Have I missed anything out?

Al
JoeSharp
Joe O'Brien and Kevin Foust both have great threads on this.
:PERMAGRIN: Joe
lapuwali
You don't NEED to reverse the intake to fit into the engine bay. It will fit, installed exactly as it did in the 911. Clearance is snug, and the engine lid will probably rest on the snorkel, but it can be done.

CIS will require new plumbing, with a different fuel pump. You should replace all of the fuel lines, ideally.

You'll need a new flywheel to mate an SC engine to the 901 gearbox. The SC expects to bolt up to a 915 with a completely different clutch mechanism. The 901 expects the early "cup type" 911 flywheel. The SC uses a 9-bolt crank, where the earlier engines used a 6-bolt crank, so you can't just install an early (pre-'70) 911 flywheel to make the swap, as you can on anything up to a 2.7. The usual way this is done is a custom flywheel is constructed by taking an early flywheel and replacing the center section with that from an SC flywheel, which is obviously not a DIY job unless you have a full machine shop to hand, and really know how to use it. If you can't find a local engineer to make one of these for you, Kennedy Engineered Products can make it, though shipping it to Scotland would probably cost a bundle.

If you're constructing your own mount, making one matching the pattern that Rich Johnson uses for his firewall mount is really the best bet. The mounts that bolt to the /4 mounting points work, but often have more clearance problems with the shift linkage and exhaust.

VaccaRabite
And, you will clearly need to change your screen name to reflect you change for a 4 to a 6.

cool.gif

Zach
alan9144
Well thats a couple of points I hadnt thought about, I know a good machine shop so thats one problem taken care of, now about that name!!!!

Thanks for the replys guys beerchug.gif , I will probably start a build thread, titled "how not to do it, as it will probably bevery frustrating, I wantt to make as much of this myself with very limited tools, so should be entertaining.

Al
alan9144
Click to view attachmentHeres a couple of snaps of the car and engine, also tucked behind there is my ghia with a fresh 2160 on IDAs
brant
couple of extra tidbits too:

the 911 oil tank will not fit
not that it couldn't be used, but it certainly won't fit into the stock 914/6 fender location.

the 2 911 tank applications I can think of were 1 in the front trunk floor and the other in the rear trunk floor. Both sacrificed trunk space and originality

another thing. The 911 oil motor input fitting. Its made as a part of the oil cooler but faces the wrong way for a 914 application. Most people take their 911 cooler off and have it fabricated with a different end, so that it points the correct way for a teener.

Nother thing. Fabricate exhaust really means buy headers or heat exchangers and then fabricate mufflers. The 911 Heat exchangers (and headers for that matter) point the wrong way, so most people buy 914/6 headers and give up the heating system.

the rest of the usual items are not mandatory to make it run.. they are just recommended to cope with putting that much power through a chassis that wasn't originally designed for it. Things like an auxillary oil cooler for that big motor, etc.

brant
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.