Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Vinyl or no vinyl, not another poll!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
1970 Neun vierzehn
Since we all seem to like to vote AND express an opinion, here be another chance.

Do you like/have a preference/have-have not, the vinyl on the sail panel/"rollbar"?

Personally I have it on my '70 /4, and it came from the factory that way. My car is (factory)canary yellow, and I'm of the opinion that some colors(usually the lighter shades) look better with the vinyl on the roof panels. Similarly, black, Irish Green and dark shades of blue look better w/o the covering.

For those who care, and those who have refinished their '14s, ...vinyl or NO vinyl?
Allan
I'm getting rid of mine. I'm also gonna paint the top and bumpers body color.
SirAndy
no vinyl ...
VaccaRabite
No Vinyl.

My top will be body color, but the BBBs will stay big, and black.

Zach
STL914
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Apr 20 2006, 09:06 AM) *

no vinyl ...

agree.gif

My white 74 didn't have vinyl, my red, soon to be Jag Racing Green, 72 does not have the vinyl. I like the looks of an all body color car.
sjhowitson
A lot depends on the car color. My silver car looked great with the vinyl. My white car looks better without.

Bottom line without

My .02
Robert21
mad.gif No Just one more place for rust to hide.

And i think it looks better? Robert
Rand
I like paint better than vinyl.
turboman808
I think it looks cool but being that I am a minimalist at heart I wouldn't putit on.
914-8
I was always a fan of the vinyl, never thought I liked the look without it.

Until I bought one without it. Got used to it, like it, and left the vinyl off during the restoration. Looks better to me, at least on a black car.

On the lighter colored cars . . . closer call. The black vinyl, along with the black rockers and valences on the lighter colored cars, does tend to make the car look lower, longer and sleeker.

olav
Where's the poll?
zoomCat
I generally prefer them without. Has anybody considered adding an opera window to complete the period theme? biggrin.gif
1970 Neun vierzehn
Olav,
I thot I set up a "poll" w/ Yes-No, and "color" selections but it didn't work. I obviously did something wrong chair.gif mad.gif
1970 Neun vierzehn
Zoom,
Yes, yes, and don't forget the functional "opera" lights as well laugh.gif
Trekkor
I did mine in white vinyl a while back.

You don't really notice it until you are right on it.

KT
balljoint
No vinyl for me thanks. I think it "dates" what is otherwise a very timelessly styled vehicle. How many of us have had strangers ask whether the car was a new model or not? stan.gif
Joe Bob
no vinyl and no chrome trim.....no badges.

BUTT, I like the vinyl side graphics....
Trekkor
New look, vinyl stayed. ( Even at speed. )
effutuo101
agree.gif I lost the vinyl a long time ago.
Trekkor
I don't care for the stock black vinyl much.

KT
nomore9one4
I say replace the vinyl with fur! Just my .02 cents cool_shades.gif
dagdal1967
I like the Vinyl on mine..
Tobra
I like the vinyl, especially on a red, yellow or orange car, mine is Phoenix Red(orange) so I will put it back on whenever I get it painted.
mcbain77
QUOTE(914-8 @ Apr 20 2006, 09:17 AM) *

I was always a fan of the vinyl, never thought I liked the look without it.

Until I bought one without it. Got used to it, like it, and left the vinyl off during the restoration. Looks better to me, at least on a black car.

On the lighter colored cars . . . closer call. The black vinyl, along with the black rockers and valences on the lighter colored cars, does tend to make the car look lower, longer and sleeker.

I quit. I am sick and tire of seeing these sweet rides while mine sits on jackstands waiting for bodywork and rust repair. Nice ride!!!!!
pfierb
No vinyl on my Zambezi green car.......I even have 2 new vinyl sails that I'll sell to anyone that wants them
Paul F.
gary gartner
No vinyl, thank you---body color on the rockers and valences, please
I'll have a drink now, also beer3.gif
McMark
I like it either way. You do have to keep an eye on possible rust, but as long as you're aware of the issue, that's enough.

I've seen some classy with-vinyl car.
olav
QUOTE(trekkor @ Apr 20 2006, 11:02 AM) *

I did mine in white vinyl a while back.

You don't really notice it until you are right on it.

KT

Hey that's pretty cool. Can you get orange vinyl?
watsonrx13
Interesting topic as I just finished installing the vinyl on my car. It came from the factory with it and it's a '74 2.0 bahia red.... But I definately agree with others, it depends on the individual and the color changes/enhancements on the car, ie, painted bumpers, rocker panels, etc...

-- Rob
Rand
Whatdya want?

Depends..... Period correct concourse?

Otherwise (my humble opinion) remove the vinyl, shave steel lips, (no al-le-men-u-im), weld up the gaps, bondo smoothing if necessary (controversy-aside - plug in your correct fusion here) and........

Totally depends on your welding and body-work skills.

IMHO: Eliminate as much vinyl and aluminum trim as possible. Weld, shave, trim, smooth, ..............
tdsmoonchild
QUOTE((*)(*) @ Apr 20 2006, 01:10 PM) *

how do you do the edges of the sail panels when you don't use the trim? Anyone have pics?
RustyWa
I like the VINYL.... It's what separates us from.....THIS barf.gif

JPB
For the goth look, vinyl and a fake chrome soft top spring; for the speed, no vinyl and lots of stickers.

beer.gif Goth is in in a creepy wierd sort of way.
cassidy_bolger
In my opinion, the lines of the car are not as good when the sail panel is the same color as the body. The long gently curving line that runs the length of the body is a big part of the low, wide purposeful stance the car has. The roof then reads separately as something other than the body and it has a more upright expression. The jont between sail panel and body looks odd, to me, without a color or material change. The early '73 vinyl 'A' pillar probably came from someone's idea to take the concept one step further.

So I dig it in theory, but the fact that it is vinyl is questionable. Anyone paint the sail panel black on a non-black car? I wonder what that looks like?
So.Cal.914

My 72 is saturn yellow, it came from the factory with out it and I think it looks

great. For a long time I didn't see another with out it, but I was never tempted

to add it on.

Badges yes, vinyl no. Sorry had to get that in... smoke.gif
DanT
No vinyl

Smooth, shiney, no trim, no holes, no rust biggrin.gif
J P Stein
QUOTE(tdsmoonchild @ Apr 20 2006, 02:41 PM) *

QUOTE((*)(*) @ Apr 20 2006, 01:10 PM) *

how do you do the edges of the sail panels when you don't use the trim? Anyone have pics?

Whall sure....thought you'd never ask biggrin.gif
It takes some doin'.

J P Stein
Better close up.
iamchappy
Yep, chrome hood badge, chrome fuel door, chrome bumpers, mirrors, trim, side script, chrome engine grille letters, polished spoke Fuchs, ghost rear reflector, big sound system with subs, 400hp turbocharged 3.1 twinplug engine and VINYL......
Elliot_Cannon
I left the vinyl on mine. I just got the roof back from the body shop and it looks great. More pics later.
Elliot
iamchappy
I've always like the vinyl on 914's but liked the 911 coupes better than the 911 targas.

Honestly I like 914's with and without the vinyl, and the little chrome sail panel trim on the bottem without the vinyl looks good too.

I was thinking of mounting the vinyl onto some sheet magnet material so that you could have it on or off. If you still left overhang and tucked the vinyl under the trim pieces it might work.
craig downs
I like the look of vinyl because of the contrast. But instead of vinyl I was thinking
of having Line-X bed liner sprayed on the sails and the top. That way I won't
have to worry about rust or shinkage.
Seagrave
I'm with the minority. I like the vinyl.
jlblues
QUOTE(trekkor @ Apr 20 2006, 11:19 AM) *

I don't care for the stock black vinyl much.

KT

My first Had it and I liked it but, my second is with out, and I think I like it better! You know what they say. "Once your in the raw it hard to go back" No vinyl for me, I decided, I like mine stripped! drooley.gif
lotus_65
no vinyl.

and now, from the sublime to the ridiculous...

i thought about this because i love the le look. i'd keep the chrome bits to define the lines.

flame on~Click to view attachment
jtf914
I like the vinyl look, but (IMHO) if you lose the vinyl than you have to smooth and color match the top.
tod914
Seriously, why go vinal when one can have Corithian Leathour...

Click to view attachment
pfierb
QUOTE(tod914 @ Apr 21 2006, 07:13 PM) *

Seriously, why go vinal when one can have Corithian Leathour...

Click to view attachment

Thank you Ricardo Montalban
914-8
QUOTE(Justin Fischer @ Apr 21 2006, 06:33 AM) *

I like the vynl look, but (IMHO) if you lose the vynl than you have to smooth and color match the top.

Agree.
Pat Garvey
If it was there to start with - leave it there. I'll be the first to say I like it & think the lighter colors look disjointed without it. Besides it's Factory.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.