Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New Wheels & Tires For The Street!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Joseph Mills
I ditched the 7 & 8" - 15 fuch replicas and went with 7" - 16 oem fuchs all around. Someday I'll need to have them polished.

I'm also trying out the new Hankook Ventus RS-2's. They are supposed to be similar to the Falken Azenis in performance and wear, but a bit less expensive.

I'll be doing a 400 mile plus road trip this weekend on the Talimina tour and 120 miles of it will be on some great roads to see what these tires are capable of. driving.gif

some pics...

Aaron Cox
looks great! did you space the rears out?
seanery
thumb3d.gif Lookin' good Joseph!
SirAndy
QUOTE(seanery @ Apr 20 2006, 12:15 PM) *

thumb3d.gif Lookin' good Joseph!

agree.gif

clap56.gif Andy
Joe Ricard
DAmn it
I am still waiting for availability for my size. 225/50-15
I want a full report of how them tires perform.
Aaron Cox
RS2's are 3 bucks cheaper than azenis 615's in 205/50 15 at edgeracing.com

75 vs 78
Joseph Mills
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Apr 20 2006, 02:13 PM) *

looks great! did you space the rears out?

Thanks guys! smile.gif

I have no spacers yet. But they need it. I have some 1/8th spacers loaned to me. I'm going to use them as a template and see if I can just fab some up.

I think my studs are long enough for a 1/2" spacer. Are there any guide lines on this? Would this be acceptable at a DE event?

SirAndy
QUOTE(Joseph Mills @ Apr 20 2006, 12:38 PM) *

think my studs are long enough for a 1/2" spacer. Are there any guide lines on this? Would this be acceptable at a DE event?

open lug-nuts and at least 8 full rotations on the nut, if i recall correct ...

smile.gif Andy
Eric_Shea
Are there any guide lines on this? Would this be acceptable at a DE event?

PCA says 'the amount extending past the open nut should be equal or greater than the width of the stud' (14mm -or- 1/2" past the end of an open nut)
Joe Ricard
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Apr 20 2006, 02:49 PM) *

Are there any guide lines on this? Would this be acceptable at a DE event?

PCA says 'the amount extending past the open nut should be equal or greater than the width of the stud' (14mm -or- 1/2" past the end of an open nut)

Thats just crazy, can a mechanical engineer PLEASE explain how 1/2" of thread (which doesn't contact anything) add to the strength of a fastener?

I run Ball end open lugs on my wheels so I wanna know. What does PCA say about closed nuts? as in Porsche alloy (light as a feather) lug nuts?

SirAndy
QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Apr 20 2006, 01:11 PM) *

What does PCA say about closed nuts? as in Porsche alloy (light as a feather) lug nuts?

they say they're fine as long as you don't run any spacers ...

stock studs and no spacer, closed alloy is fine.

custom studs and/or spacers, open steel nuts so they can verify you got enough thread on there ...

i never had any problems passing tech with just 2 or 3 threads showing on a open lug nut ...
smile.gif Andy
Eric_Shea
Joe, I think they just want a visual at tech and like Andy said, it's for special studs or spacers. I've done many DE's and auto-x's with stock alloy lug nuts.
Joseph Mills
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Apr 20 2006, 03:15 PM) *

stock studs and no spacer, closed alloy is fine.

custom studs and/or spacers, open steel nuts so they can verify you got enough thread on there ...

i never had any problems passing tech with just 2 or 3 threads showing on a open lug nut ...
smile.gif Andy

So you're saying, for DE I can ONLY run my closed alloys if I remove the spacer.

Is it safe to run spacers at a track?

Maybe I'm thinking of the spacers that have their own studs built in for either conversion or wider spacers without resorting to fitting longer studs in your rotors. Will those pass inspection?

Joseph Mills
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Apr 20 2006, 02:36 PM) *

RS2's are 3 bucks cheaper than azenis 615's in 205/50 15 at edgeracing.com

75 vs 78

I think the threads I read on the Hankooks were older posts before the price reduction on the Azenis. I seem to recall they had climbed up to somewhere around 115.00 each?

Anyway, 80 bucks is about all I'm willing to pay for street tires. That is, as long as I'm having to pay 150.00 for AX tires... mad.gif ohmy.gif

Eric_Shea
Actually, I think you can run closed alloys for DE or Auto-X. I 'think' they 'require' open nuts for PCA Club Racing.
Air_Cooled_Nut
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Apr 20 2006, 01:15 PM) *

smile.gif Andy

From the books I've read on fastener technology, 2-3 threads is fine. Any more than that and the bolt is too long for the job smile.gif

I'm not a mechanical engineer, but I want to be one biggrin.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Joseph Mills @ Apr 20 2006, 03:10 PM) *

So you're saying, for DE I can ONLY run my closed alloys if I remove the spacer.

check your local rules, around here, yes ...

also, around here, they *don't* like the bolt-on spacers that have their own studs ...
dry.gif Andy
GTPatrick
Joseph Mills, . . . .

What size tires are you using on your 7x16 Fuchs ??? How much space is there between your tires and the edge of the fender wheel well rim curves ??? idea.gif

The 914 that I am buyig has 7x16 Fuchs with Falken tires on them but not sure of the tire size. the tires have barely enough room for my fingers to get in between the tires and the edge of the fender opening. Also, there is visual evidence of the tires rubbing against the edge of the fender opening from the upper edge of the opening onto the upper/outter edge of the tires sidewall. Flaring the fender seems to be the only solution so far but the P.O. tried it and the new paint cracked in several places when it was attempted.

Thanks. type.gif
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(GTPatrick @ Apr 23 2006, 10:19 AM) *

Joseph Mills, . . . .

What size tires are you using on your 7x16 Fuchs ??? How much space is there between your tires and the edge of the fender wheel well rim curves ??? idea.gif

The 914 that I am buyig has 7x16 Fuchs with Falken tires on them but not sure of the tire size. the tires have barely enough room for my fingers to get in between the tires and the edge of the fender opening. Also, there is visual evidence of the tires rubbing against the edge of the fender opening from the upper edge of the opening onto the upper/outter edge of the tires sidewall. Flaring the fender seems to be the only solution so far but the P.O. tried it and the new paint cracked in several places when it was attempted.

Thanks. type.gif

7x16 on a "stock" - he has to have 205's on it. 215's or 225's are a stretch
STL914
QUOTE(Joseph Mills @ Apr 20 2006, 11:04 AM) *

I ditched the 7 & 8" - 15 fuch replicas

Do you still have the Fuch replicas or have they been sold? Just curious!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.