Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: rear wheel bearing
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jporsche914
For the past few months on and off there has been a squeeling noise coming from the back of my car and i cant take it any more. What is the best way to remove and install a rear wheel bearing?
Thanks,
James
Eric_Shea
QUOTE(jporsche914 @ Apr 20 2006, 01:16 PM) *

For the past few months on and off there has been a squeeling noise coming from the back of my car and i cant take it any more. What is the best way to remove and install a rear wheel bearing?
Thanks,
James

Buy a pair now and put them in the freezer.

Next, you'll need to pull CV's stub axles and axles. You may want to drop the shock bolt to allow the control arm to come down. You'll then need to drive out the hub. Next take off the caps. You'll then need to drive out your bearing.

-or-

Take the entire control arm off and get the hubs and bearings pressed out and in at a local shop. There's a thread on the subject in the Classics section.

I personally don't like doing that with the arms on the car. A few more bolts (and an alignments afterward... which is probably needed anyway) and it's much easier.
jsteele22

What he said , plus ...

There's nothing prohibitive about doing it yourself, but be ready for quite a lot of work. I got my car w/ a sqeualing rear bearing, and it was really, really stuck in place. So for that side, I did end up having to pull the rear trailing arm. If you are even slightly inclined to have an alignment done on your car, I'd say that would be the way to go. Also, if you've been thinking about switching to a 5-bolt wheel, this is the perfect time to do it : any time you remove the hub from the trailing arm, you're gonna need to replace the bearings.

Read up on the Pelican Parts website - they have a nice writeup about how to pull the bearings into plae without damaging them.
Matt Romanowski
What they said, but....

I would suggest pulling the control arm off the car yourself and bringnig it somewhere and having them do the pressing out and in.

When you put it back together, all you have to do is set toe. If you measure before the toe before hand, you can put it back the same. That will keep you from having to do a whole alignment.

Matt
Cap'n Krusty
Squealing noise? Wheel bearings don't "squeal", they make a howling rumble, which generally changes in pitch and volume as you turn from side to side. BIG difference. Take a look at the brakes. The Cap'n
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.