Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Windshield is in. Rubber seal and black border
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
736conver
My windshield is finally in, after much research and fail painting attempts.

I use special glass paint but it came out streaky and bad looking, even used a glass primer. It was a product another memeber used. For some reason my results sucked.
So I ended up calling a company to come out and install it. I had already pick up the brand new PPG glass for $125. Their cost was $89 to install as I already had the windshield and the rubber seal.
For those of you who are curious I obtain the rubber seal from my brother in law. I know others have tried different ones but this one looks pretty good. There are chrome ones and ones the have a feature line.

The black painted border, or frit as its called, It comes in a tube with a shoe polish like applicator. No masking was needed. Just a steady hand.
There are other primers available but this one looks like its the easiest.
The urethane that was used was also a betaseal product. Before that was put down he used betaprime for the metal on the car.
The guy that install it said you should never mix different brands.
He also said I was just asking for trouble using the glass paint I had. Not the right tool for the job as he put it.

So to recap
Rubber seal
Black painted border
Betaprime for the car
And betaseal urethane

Again all the same brand.

Click to view attachment
72914S
Wish I had painted the edges of mine before the installation,oh well next time I`ll know.
Allan
Do you know the number for the seal with the chrome strip?
watsonrx13
Can you post a pic where the 2 ends meet?

BTW, thanks for the info....

-- Rob
7TPorsh
Yes, number of the chrome one and where/how to buy. Also the source for the windshield at that price. Hopefully they have an outel in SoCal. boldblue.gif
736conver
Chrome molding part number is T120. Expect it to be twice the cost of the trim without.

As for the windshield your on your own. $125 is the cost of one. I have an inside connection here in WI. All windshield glass basically comes from the same place, its just a matter of mark up.
Here are some more pics including were the ends meet.
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
Aaron Cox
thank you for the info brian

AA
neo914-6
Looks good Brian,

There are lots of products you're right to use one made for automobile glass.

$125 is a low price. Offshore are priced $250-300 here in CA and 350+ for PPG. Shpping from WI wouldn't make it feasible to ask you to get that me one at that price... sad.gif
736conver
Felix,

Thanks for your info too.
Its not the road I went down, but like I found out there are a couple of different primers/paint out there.
For everyone else, Felix told me about the products by CR. Laurence.
They also have the same range of products as betaseal.
736conver
As for the windshield, its not a well I can tap too much anyways. I already hook two guys up. I dont think I want to push it anymore for awhile.
MecGen
Hey

Thats just sweet looking, I think it turned out perfect. IMHO the jobber trim is a great choice. Except for the hardcore "stock" cars, I think this is a better look! .
smilie_pokal.gif
I did mine over 15 years ago and product choices were not all that great, pre-WWW. I went for the brush on primer and paint, it sucked. icon8.gif
I am seriously, one day, soon (been saying it for 15 years), gonna redo it. Now I know what to hope for. I would still go for the strait black rubber, the chrome accent is cool, but it will show even minor faults more, the installer would make or break it.
Thumbs up +Karma
Later

jsharp.gif
pfierb
Just had mine done by a local glass shop they used a PPG tinted windshield with their own butyl seal and oem chrome trim they said they got from Porsche....the only piece they couldn't get was the lower chrome trim but the old one was like new so they reused it.....the job came out perfect.
rhodyguy
that's a great price for a ppg where i live. i wish there was a continual seal that would work. like on my jetta, or beetles, etc. i just hate the butted seam.

k
7TPorsh
Pulling out this old thread:

I was doing some research on windshield moulding and saw this post where it is mentioned that there is a modern rubber moulding with a chrome strip which can be used; called it T120?
Is this the product and will it work for 914s?

http://equalizer.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Scre...ategory_Code=11[/url]

I can't tell how long the roll is from the add; other ads I have seen are 75 feet; prolly enough for 3 windshields; maybe 4?

Has anyone used this? Any pics of cars?

I want the chrome look but don't want to use the original trim. Group Buy?
mikeyboy_85
where do i get this product???? the rubber i mean
SLITS
I bought a roll of the black only ... forget where .... roll is '75 feet. At that time it was $35.00 roll + shipping. Did two windshields ... still have a lot left over I think.

I'll look at the box tomorrow.
rhodyguy
most seal conversions i've seen, lift in the lower corners. just like a hole in the roof of your house in my book. again, this appears to be a first rate install.

k
cobra94563
I used the rubber seal. You cannot easily tell from looking, but the lower corners sit high and have a slight gap. It's not going to leak; they used a pretty thick layer of uerthane(sp?) that seals pretty good. But water can get sit in the channel under the seal.
I wouldn't say it is a problem with the seal, maybe the installation or the windshield. I'm cheap so I filled under the seal with clear silicone.
Bartlett 914
QUOTE(cobra94563 @ Mar 14 2008, 07:09 AM) *

I'm cheap so I filled under the seal with clear silicone.

I have herd that silicone is a bad thing to use. The silicone causes corrosion around the window frame. I am not sure if it is because of the acid that is given off during cure or if moisture can migrate through it after the cure.
SLITS
And I suppose that stock bright work seals the channel also ..... yaaassss ..... it certainly does Ollie.
Bartlett 914
QUOTE(SLITS @ Mar 14 2008, 03:02 PM) *

And I suppose that stock bright work seals the channel also ..... yaaassss ..... it certainly does Ollie.

The stock seals don't seal. They are decorative only. And a lot of windows frames rust out. My comment was on the use of silicone. Other sealers are better to use. I have read here several times and from people in the windshield business that silicone is bad to use.
scotty b
Curious after 2 years how everything held up. I am about to disassemble and re-do the rear hatch on my 944 and will be using the paint for a cleaner look if it held up well. popcorn[1].gif
zonedoubt
I currently have stock trim w/ a cracked windshield. After the new windshield gets installed I want to but the stock trim back on. Can the original clips still be used or do they have to come out when the old windshield is removed? I suppose it's a good idea to have some spares on hand when the new windshield is going in?
jim_hoyland
Original clips can be reused if they aren't broken. Should have 19 clips---as I remember.

Once, I replaced the clips and found the new clips chipped the paint around the inner edge of the holes. As a result, serious rust got started. Just something to watch for...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.