Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: HELP - Oil Pump Gasket
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
vesnyder
If this car ever runs again it will be a miracle, anyway my question:

I removed my engine this week to fix some serious oil leaks and just removed the oil pump. It does not look like any of the photos of the pumps I've seen - the front is flat as opposed to contoured that many of the pics show. My pump has a plate that covers the pump (inside are the pump gears) and the pump itself. The gasket kit I purchased only has one gasket - does it go between the plate and the pump, or the pump and the engine block?? How do you seal the other mating surfaces??
Allan
Sounds like you have an aftermarket pump. Maybe a Melling HD. You need 2 gaskets. One is really, really thin that goes under the front plate and another that goes between the pump and case.

I got mine at a bug shop.
vesnyder
I see the really thin one on the front plate, but it appears they did not have one between the pump and the block - could be the reason for the leak? Looks like I will have to make one - what sealer shoul dI seal it with?
Allan
You can get that gasket at any VW shop.

I used Permatex 3H on mine and didn't have a leak problem...
MattR
It sounds like you have a Type 1 oil pump. Those gaskets should be easily available at any bug shop. If you dont have one local to you, aircooled.net has them available seperatly.

If the oil is coming from the oil pump area, its entirely possible thats the problem.
DNHunt
Loctite 518 is a great product for sealing oil pumps. It can be used without the paper gaskets. What's nice about it is that it will not set in the presence of air so you spread it on and it will not set until the pump is installed. It also will fill small irregularities. Clean the surfaces well.

You do have a relatively short time to finish torquing it down so you can't fool around.

Dave
Aaron Cox
sounds like you have a melling. is it steel?

I used permatex 3h also. available at flaps. no leaks.

while you are in there... true up the surfaces of the mounting boss. there is an article on pelican about this. take a piece of glass and sanpaper, and use a ssharpie on the mounting are, (cover up the inside of the motor obviously) and sand until you get rid of all the high spots. works great - no more leaks.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.