Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: anyone clear coated their fan housing?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
brer
mine is getting bead blasted and i had thought of getting a clear on it.
they always look like hell after ahile uncoated.

but then i saw one that had been clear coated and it had white issues under the clear.
whats the deal with that?

dont really want to do a color.

good and bad pics anyone?
Allan
I got mine blasted then painted it with Rustoleum aluminum.

d7n7master
I used Orange Power, a wire brush & then steel wool to prep.
And then I applied Por-20.
d7n7master
and... beerchug.gif
brer
Those look awesome!
do they look painted in person? or are they convincingly aluminum looking.

But i think i'm going for a more natural look.
(perfect hair smiley?)

is this housing aluminium or magnesium?
Series9
My last /4:

914rrr
Fan housing is Magnesium. What about powder coating, maybe in a grey color? If you spray aluminum paint with a clear afterwards it mutes it to look more like 'real' aluminum.
So.Cal.914
I sprayed mine with aluminium paint and than a clear and it did come out looking like aluminium. Spill oil on it and wipe it up, no mess. Chromed the tin's and it looks good. smoke.gif
mightyohm
Warren at Accurate specifically recommended that I not powder coat my fan housing. He said the magnesium underneath would bloom and bubble the coating, and it would be very hard to strip the powdercoating in order to fix it. He recommended to have it soda blasted, and then just paint it with spraypaint or leave it bare. Mine has been blasted and is now a light gray color. I am thinking of applying WD-40 to it like Britain recommends to get back to the darker finish that we're used to seeing, and hopefully slow down oxidation.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.