Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Don't Drive Your Teener
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Joseph Mills
After having this on my list for over a year, I finally got around to it. For the last few months, since I put the new engine in, about every 10-20 miles I have been having to clean the idle jets.

When I pulled the fuel lines off, there was a lot of black gooey crud around the fuel drain fittings and a small amount of fine rust "silt". There were no big chunks of rust, but there was a fine coat of rust all over the inside walls.

I had a radiator shop boil it and I then treated it with the Por-15 metal prep and tank sealer. We sprayed the exterior with their black chassis paint... looks like NOS. This was a very easy project.

I am amazed at the difference. It is so pronounced, I feel like it is more of an "upgrade" than a "repair". biggrin.gif

The motor is totally smooth from idle, to light acceleration thru out it's rpm's. Sustained revs in the lower range do not miss a beat. After a 100 miles the idle circuit is still totally smooth. I wish I had done this a year ago.

So if you've been thinking about it...

huh.gif

McMark
smilie_pokal.gif

I agree completely. I just dealt with THE WORST EVER! There was about 2" of rust in the bottom of the tank. I'm surprised it still held gas. ohmy.gif

I'll never tweak/tinker with another car that hasn't had it's gas tank cleaned.
Andyrew
Can you just clean the tank? I think im going to do this... My tank hasnt been done, but I havent seen any rust or anything, and I cleaned it out a while ago...

Might be time to do it right...
Joseph Mills
You can get a really good look at the inside of your tank by removing the expansion chamber AND the fuel gage sender (easy to do, about a dozen small bolts).

This way you have about a 2" and 3" hole, one of which you can shine a flashlight in while viewing thru the other opening. Allows you to really see a lot.

olav
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
JPB
Cool; gonna do it thanks! popcorn[1].gif
Qarl
You can get a really good look at the inside of your tank by removing the expansion chamber AND the fuel gage sender (easy to do, about a dozen small bolts).

This way you have about a 2" and 3" hole, one of which you can shine a flashlight in while viewing thru the other opening. Allows you to really see a lot.

If you don't have a flashlight, a cigarette lighter works well too. Or a match.

Just kidding. Please be safe. No flames or sparks around gas vapors!
Joseph Mills
QUOTE(Qarl @ Apr 20 2006, 09:58 PM) *

Well hell, I just assumed everyone knows that. smoke.gif
Air_Cooled_Nut
QUOTE(olav @ Apr 20 2006, 06:24 PM) *

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

I was able to reach into my tank and scoop some crap out (skinny white boy arms). Then I vacuumed the rest out with my shop vac. Since static electricity can build up on the plastic hose with the air rushing past it, I did the job in winter on a rainy day (is there any other kind in Oregon?) with one hand holding the hose, one hand on the tank, and bare feet on the cooooooold garage floor cement.

I'm still here so, obviously, nothing went "boom".

During the process I tried to take pictures of the interior with my girlfriend's digital point-n-shoot but just couldn't get any decent images. But it's a real easy process to remove the stuff in the way to get to the inside of the tank.
Eddie914
I had the same problem. The idle jets never stayed clean for more than a couple of weeks.

When the tank was pulled, about 200ml of sand (????) was in the bottom of the tank. I'm guessing the car was sandblasted at one time ... with the gas cap off!

This is what the return fuel line looked like ...

IPB Image

I turned the tank upside down and rinsed it out with a gardenhose!

Eddie
GWN7
QUOTE(Qarl @ Apr 20 2006, 06:58 PM) *

You can also use a vaccum to get the last bit of gas out of the tank. Just remember to phone 911 before you do this........... wacko.gif

Just kidding. Please be safe. No flames or sparks around gas vapors!

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.