Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine troubles
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
#1RAGE
I just got my 914 out from winter storage and it is running pretty rough. When my foot is off the gas it will idle too slow and putters out within a few seconds. If I give it some gas it runs ok, however I did notice it seemed to be backfiring a little.

What would be the likely causes of this?

Thanks
914rrr
Original FI or Carb(s)?
redshift
Uhhh... as I posted like 90 minutes ago.. huh.gif you did use brand new gas, right?

Use an additive, clean your system.. deglaze the lines... yikes BE CAREFUL.

M
bd1308
Japenese beetles getting lodged in fuel lines, sock filter plugged, fuel pump on the way out, hoses causing vac leak, or the solar flares from the sun.
Qarl
QUOTE(bd1308 @ Apr 20 2006, 10:39 PM) *

Japenese beetles getting lodged in fuel lines, sock filter plugged, fuel pump on the way out, hoses causing vac leak, or the solar flares from the sun.

Fuel injectors could be gunked. Sediment (rust) could be in the tank. Air could be in the lines. Gas could be getting varnishy in the fuel lines.

Could be a number of things...

#1RAGE
I only had maybe 2-3 liters in the tank for almost 5 months and then I filled with new gas. It ran better on the old gas it seemed. I was going to leave the tank full but my front trunk wouldn't open the day I parked it for the winter. I actually ran out of gas completely... well I got home but when I tried to start it the next time it wouldn't start until I added some gas.

It is original FI.

Maybe I'll try new spark plugs (I have no idea how old the ones in my car are...) and some kind of injector cleaner. Are those injector cleaners safe?
redshift
Someone will come along with the name of the one that makes your car run like shit, until you fill it up again.

M
#1RAGE
Ok I thought it might be helpful for some if I posted an update.

Things got worse... Pretty soon after I posted last it wouldn't even start. I was getting frustrated so I pulled it in to the shop. The mechanic found that an air hose was disconnected. That was it. They put in some injector cleaner and thank god the bill was small. Drove it home and she was running great. biggrin.gif

headbang.gif Something so simple and I didn't see it. Oh well. Too bad the weather has been so crappy here in the last two days... rain and snow... in May rolleyes.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.