robby750
TURBO
Joe Bob
QUOTE(robby750 @ Apr 20 2006, 08:14 PM) *

YA CAN'T TURBO A 914,,,,
robby750
That's what I thought!
Joe Bob
Can't get all the pics to load to see the engine....
robby750
It loaded real slow on me and finally quit on the last half. Had to manually "show picture" on the rest. Not many shots of the engine, but the car looks really clean.
Allan
Here ya go.

Joe Bob
Finally loaded....it's an old Crown turbo kit from the 70s with an intercooler....dunno....be interested to see it. But Dallas is a bit far to go for a joy ride.
914rrr
I used to own it. Neat car from a historical aspect, as the turbo started off as a Crown turbo kit that was installed in '76. It was modified/developed over the years by the original owner. Trouble is that it was set up to run with an 'old school' water injection system (windshield washer pump and nozzle) that was long expired when I purchased it. It would run great under boost when cold, but would detonate badly as soon as it warmed up. Other issues were:

The 2.5" exhaust piping pieces were stock Corvair turbo and were wearing thin / rusting through.

It ran really hot, probably needed a oil larger cooler placed in the front, bigger intercooler, etc.

There are rust bubbles in the drivers rear qtr. panel right below the sail panel. You can kinda see it in the auction pics if you look reaaalllly hard.

The routing of the oil drain line coming from the turbo was less than optimal, as was the exhaust plumbing going to the turbo.

One of the spark plug threads was heli-coiled. The heli-coil actually pulled out with the plug. I re-installed it with some lock-tite, but it really needs to be repaired properly if it's going to run under boost.

It's only been driven about 500 mile since I sold it 3 years ago, and I think it may have changed hands at least once since then. In my opinion, it really needs to be completely updated to more modern day systems, like aftermarket FI, newer turbo (that you could actually get parts for), newer waste gate, better oil drain routing, better exhuast plumbing, etc. to really get full potential out of it. Getting the existing FI system to work properly would probably be a MAJOR headache. I doubt that the guy that bought it from me took my advice and modded the MPS to keep it from getting blown out during boost...

My 914club avatar was my pic of the engine. I still have most of the pics when I owned it if anybody is interested.

Rob
914rrr
I also remember that the throttle body was installed in a really peculiar place, right before the turbo underneath the car. To adjust the mixture or idle was a MAJOR PITA, as you had to hold back the rubber engine seal with one hand, hold a flashlight in you teeth and try to reach the adjusters with a really looong screwdriver!

Another thing was that there was no heat sheilding around the turbo. I drove it back from a friends repair shop and thought I smelled something burning. It came really close to setting the trunk carpet on fire!!! I had to remove the carpet or fold it over when driving it.
rhodyguy
other than the turbo engineering issues how was the rest of the car? i bet the reserve is up there.

k
robby750
I'd like it a lot better if it had no turbo. And it would probably be worth a lot more.
spare time toys
Thats just a couple of blocks from work I may just go over and have a look see.
914rrr
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Apr 21 2006, 12:36 AM) *

other than the turbo engineering issues how was the rest of the car? i bet the reserve is up there.

k

The body is pretty nice. Older repaint done about 10-15 years ago in single stage acrylic enamel. I do seem to remember that the passenger side rear fender / quarter panel was a little bit off/wavy, like it had some previous damage there. Original owner / builder put a ton of money in it, probably why he was divorced several times. biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.