Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Thermo Time and Cold Start
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
brer
Southern Cal. if pretty temperate, i may be moving to SF soon too.
I've read elsewhere that the Thermo Time Switch, decel valve, and cold start injector can be disconnected totally.

opinions?

anything else?

Series9
My 16v Scirocco 1 doesn't have a cold start system.

As I finished the project, I asked a friend to source the electrical plugs for the injector and TT switch, but he forgot. I found that the car starts fine in almost all weather without it. Even when it's 15f, the car starts after about five seconds of cranking.

Since this is a 16v PL engine and not a T4, your results may vary.
brer
I love that Scirocco Mk1 !
I've been watching the classified for one.

Saw a diesel the other day. smile.gif
Series9
Here ya go:

brp914
thermo time switch activates at 30 - 40 F, so unless you're going up into the mtns in winter, you dont need it, although its not taking up that much room, so why bother?

As for the decel, if you have a '76, you'll need it for smog visual inspection. Actually, no one would notice it gone except then you gotta plug some holes in the plenum. Just to make sure you'll never need it, I'd stash the stuff away somewhere rather than toss 'em.

Likewise with egr bits, smog pump, and cat.
Goge
I got rid of all of the above, except the thermotime switch. Plus I got rid of my aux air valve too. No problems ever starting, and mornings can be a bit cool in Oregon.

Without the aux valve it needs a foot on the gas to keep it idling at first though. I don't mind, after a few minutes it's warm enough to idle OK.

I thought if I got rid of a few components that didn't really do much once the engine's warm, that's a few less question marks to investigate if something's amiss.

My $.02

-Todd
JeffBowlsby
The thermo switch is just a simple temp dependent switch, which activates the CSV by providing a switchable ground, and even then only when the starter is cranking. The only possible rationale for removing these items is to avoid the potential for a leaky CSV. Otherwise, why bother pulling these off? If you want to test how the engine starts without the CSV, just unplug it from the FI harness.
brer
god i wish i had a hand throttle. smile.gif

current plan is to put it together and run without all that stuff.
then reconnect it all for comparison.

is my CSV leaking?
hmm.
rich fuel mixture all the time
hmm.
Goge
brer-
See, that's why I got rid of mine. It can be tough to troubleshoot FI, so taking a few variables out of the equation is nice. My CSV was probably just fine, they are probably f-a-i-r-l-y bulletproof, but who knows? My aux air valve was always a question in my mind... is it leaking air in the system or is it closed all the way? Not a big deal, as the system should probably compensate for a constant leak anyway. It seemed to work OK on the bench. But still, I got rid of it. Less hoses!

I don't care if my system isn't showroom stock, I just want to keep driving it and have it run right. Without spending money, if I can help it.

Make sure you keep everything, no matter what you do!! You were gonna do that anyway.

-TH
VegasRacer
hijacked.gif Nice wheels on the Scirocco Joe.
What brand / model are they? I am looking to add some bling to my Z.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(brer @ Apr 20 2006, 08:50 PM) *

Southern Cal. if pretty temperate, i may be moving to SF soon too.
I've read elsewhere that the Thermo Time Switch, decel valve, and cold start injector can be disconnected totally.

opinions?

anything else?

Why? CSV failure is exceedingly rare, and it makes NO demands on the system except during cold cranking. The decel valve cleans up the emissions on decel, and also can prevent stalling under decel conditions. Seems kinda dumb to remove systems that are basically just along for the ride when they're not operating. The Cap'n
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.