Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: More e-bay woes - bumpers gone wrong
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Qarl
Does anyone know offhand the complaint filing deadlines (days since auction) for Paypal and Ebay?

Purchased a rear chrome bumper that arrived not as described. Yeah.. it looks like it came from a pretty beat up looking car. I wanted this as a good core to rechrome with the minimum possible dents and waves to start with.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...ADME:L:AAQ:US:1

I was willing to deal with the two tiny dents near the license plate.

Total cost $242.95 plus $50 S/H.

Bumper came in a box that looks like it was tape together by a 3 year old. You shoulda seen the box he "made" by taping a bunch of ill-fitting boxes around the bumper. Everything was falling apart when it arrived.

The seller claims UPS told him that the bumper didn't even need a box and that he should just put a tag on it. But he boxed it to "protect it".

Extracted the bumper and found 4 major areas of dents.

Shoulda photographed it before opening headbang.gif

I e-mailed the seller and told him I wasn't happy. I offered the seller to a.) refund me $100 to cover the cost of the additional repairs or b.) let me return the bumper at my cost and he refunds me in full (so basically we would both eat the shipping).

Seller says "nay nay" and that it was sold "As is". I claim it was NOT "as was" described.

The seller wants to try and settle the "damaged" bumper via UPS. I think the bumper had issues before being sent.

Anyways... I know the UPS game. It can take months to get the claim settled and I while I want to give the seller the chance to make it right, I don't want to get screwed in my opportunity to take it up with Ebay and UPS.
iamchappy
Qarl you might be surprised at how nice a bumper place can make even a mangeled bumper look.
Series9
I think I agree that the bumper was misrepresented. After seeing the dents in the right light, you can see where they were in the carefully-shot 'advertising' light.
Qarl

Qarl you might be surprised at how nice a bumper place can make even a mangeled bumper look.

Yeah... I know it can be fixed. That's why I asked for about 1/3 of the $ back to cover the cost of the extra repairs.

iamchappy
smash.gif smash.gif smash.gif smash.gif smash.gif smash.gif smash.gif smash.gif
914rrr
Really easy. Report him to the FBI Internet Fraud Dept. The link to the FBI is buried on ebay somewhere. The FBI WILL prosecute the SOB, and it won't cost you a cent! It kinda takes them awhile, but he will be contacted by either the Feds and/or local police. I had an ebay seller tell me to pound sand when I asked for some of my money back. Boy did he change his tune when the Feds contacted him!

Don't waste you time telling ebay about it, they won't do dick. Probably tell you to go to arbitration, which is a waste of time. UPS would be a waste of time as well. All they have to say is "insufficient packaging" and they're off the hook! Ask me how I know.

I'm not sure what the time limit is, but PAYPAL will most likely side with you if you tell them what happened.
VegasRacer
You have 45 days to file a complaint with eBay.
You have 60 days to file a complaint with Paypal.
The clock starts ticking as soon as the auction ends.

Forget the UPS resolution route. That is the the sellers problem, not yours.

Your best bet is to file a complaint with Paypal. They even give you the option to accept a partial refund if you want to keep the damaged bumper.

File a complaint with eBay too, just don't expect any fast results.
NoEcm
I'm not sure that a claim would even be considered by UPS because the packaging (as based on your description) did not meet their minimum standards:

"Each item should be surrounded by at least two inches (5 cm) of cushioning and be placed at least two inches (5 cm) away from the walls of the box. This will protect your items from product-against-product damage and shield them from the shock and vibration that can be conducted from the exterior of the box to its contents in transit.

Please use proper cushioning material, combined with a strong outer container, to protect your shipment fully. Make sure you use enough cushioning material to ensure that the contents do not move when you shake the container."

<Read the rest online>:

http://ups.com/content/us/en/resources/pre...e_package2.html
rhodyguy
that interstate fraud and conspirasy stuff gets kind of weird. they are NEVER going to accept a claim on that and prob will make you pay if you try it. sorry karl. f-in' ebay. you should have bought the one i had in the classifieds a few weeks back.

k
Andyrew
Freek, for 250 bucks I would have sold you mine that is almost perfect, and doesnt need a newtop...

But Its going to someone else (who still needs to pick it up... lol)
racerx7
QUOTE(914rrr @ Apr 20 2006, 09:31 PM) *

Really easy. Report him to the FBI Internet Fraud Dept. The link to the FBI is buried on ebay somewhere. The FBI WILL prosecute the SOB, and it won't cost you a cent! It kinda takes them awhile, but he will be contacted by either the Feds and/or local police. I had an ebay seller tell me to pound sand when I asked for some of my money back. Boy did he change his tune when the Feds contacted him!

Don't waste you time telling ebay about it, they won't do dick. Probably tell you to go to arbitration, which is a waste of time. UPS would be a waste of time as well. All they have to say is "insufficient packaging" and they're off the hook! Ask me how I know.

I'm not sure what the time limit is, but PAYPAL will most likely side with you if you tell them what happened.

I think it has to be a bigger ticket item for the FBI to car. (I think)
East coaster
Use the Paypal process........it works! I had a dispute and it was quite effective. They immediately yank the funds from the seller and that's usually enough incentive for him to work with you to resolve the issue.

Good luck!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.