Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Beast has a new heart!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nine14cats
I picked up a running (?) 1974 2.7 minus the CIS as the platform for The Beast's power plant. I have Weber 40 IDA's on the shelf but may go PMO....that I will decide later. I will document the build here on the club site as I tear it down and build it back up in my garage. I'm looking forward to the project.

Here's a few pics...

Bill P.
nine14cats
number 2
nine14cats
numero 3
SirAndy
smilie_pokal.gif
DanT
Hmmmm.....2.7L 914 I think I have seen a few of those before. biggrin.gif

Looks good Bill....Doris is officially a saint in my book. smile.gif

nine14cats
I passed on the 3.6 as I really wanted to do an engine build....Doris is doing her MBA fo fun...I'm going to reassemble The Beast with my own hands for fun....however long it takes. I've got Fritz...so I can just push along while still making events....

In fact, I just picked the color for The Beast with Scott Yeaman today "Viper Yellow"....it's a nice bright color!

The motor goes up on the engine stand this weekend. I'll probably disassemble it over the next 2 to 3 weeks, then send parts out to the machine shop.

I'll then finish painting JLO's engine bay and get her ready for the V8 that's been patiently waiting in the corner of the garage.

Should be a busy and fun summer!

Bill P.
Trekkor
Tell us about your build ideas.
High comp, wild cams?..Whats the plan?

KT
Eric Taylor
Alright Bill! The six is so cool to tear apart your really going to enjoy breaking into it and when you race that sucker your going to be laying down the power that YOU made! Can't think of something much cooler. The other projects are ok too I guess.... smile.gif
Want any help getting a couple off of your hands smile.gif Go for it man! Really turns things around for you considering the way you felt a couple of months ago.
Eric
DanT
Wild, hot cammed, 2.7......sounds like it is time for a 915? biggrin.gif

Oh, that is probably another thread.

Looks like a nice starting point for your build Bill.
nine14cats
This will be a similar motor to our previous one. I have the parts recipe for that one and it was ~230HP at the crank. The motor was on it's way to 200 hours when I missed that shift...but there was short cuts I made on it that I won't make on this one.

I only made a few, but I won't do it this time.

So I'm thinking race gas only, 10.5:1 compression, head work, cams with some overlap to take advantage of the compression, some case mods, knife edged crank...all the stuff we did before.

Where I chinsed out last time was that I replated cylinders and one bank in particular would smoke alittle too much for my liking, so I may go new P's&C's....

What we do will be decided once we see inside...if the C's are within spec, maybe replating is okay....but I want as fresh a motor as we can get.

Bill P.
Trekkor
More excitement.
You have my attention.

KT
grantsfo
Cool! I would have loved to put a 2.7 in my car, but couldnt pass up the deal on my 2.4. I'm still blown away at how powerful my 2.4 is in this car. I can only imagine how quick a hot 2.7 would be.
McMark
Congrats! clap56.gif Let me know if you need any help with anything. I'm game for a BBQ build day or the like. wink.gif
J P Stein
Oh boy. Oh boya. we get to help Bill spend his money biggrin.gif
DIY 9eleben motor building is a hoot....if a bit nerve wracking when it comes time to light the fire.

Lemmeno if you need any the tools required. They've been "on loan" before.
redshift
Race gas? at $34 a gallon, you might want to consider 2:1 compression, and steam!

laugh.gif

M
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.