Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: E-85 E85 Ethanol powered 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Ctrout
I did a search and really didn't find any info that is helpful. Has anyone done a 914 engine rebuild with ethanol in mind? What would be required to run this fuel in our cars? From what I've found, higher compression (10:1 or higher) would be a must. Also required would be gaskets and seals that are specifically designed to withstand the chemistry in E-85. If staying with fuel injection, some air/fuel ratio adjustment would be necessary also. In fact, it seems that such a large adjustment would be needed here that the stock FI may not be suitable so something like Megasquirt might be required. I'm just really curious about the feasibility of modding a stock motor during a rebuild to run on Ethanol.
messix
a system with o2 sensors and injectors able to flow 50% more fuel and be able to go use the two widely different fuel maps.
craig downs
Yep
The nice thing with alcohol fuel is you get 20% more power over gas but the
down side is your fuel economy is cut in half
messix
QUOTE(craig downs @ Apr 20 2006, 10:36 PM) *

Yep
The nice thing with alcohol fuel is you get 20% more power over gas but the
down side is your fuel economy is cut in half

20%when that engine is optimized for methonol, ethonol is a little less, i don't recall the btu value. but the c/r of a alcahol engine is around 12 to 14 to 1 to get decient power, no way to flex fuel that with gasoline, hydrogene yes.
fiid
There's some work going on with megasquirt to make it support flexfuel sensors.

I know the stock 914 injectors are way oversized - but I'm not sure if they're oversized enough to handle ethanol / E85...?

can't be arsed to do the math right now, but a conversion shouldn't be too hard. The fuel pressure could also be increased to get a better flow if it's only a little shy. The stock pump is capable of more and there's plenty of stuff in the aftermarket. My 914 has some jap pump that is really quiet and generates mondo pressure.
redshift
Uhh... you need a whole other motor, by the time you work it all out?

Don't we have a valvetrain problem with ethanol based fuels?

M
pokey1168
Anyone know of any brazil based 914s, They have been running ethanol for a while now. enough so that some of the HP listing on vw motors (these are older vws) show a np rating for gas and one for ethanol.
pokey1168
I know this isn't 914 specific but I thought it might help.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E85#Use_in_standard_engines
Joe Bob
There are a few test stations throughout the state. One at Vendenberg AFB. They are cardlocked and will only fuel E85 compatible motors and fuel systems.

The biggest issue on the Brazil cars is exhaust...they need to be stainless steel or they rust like a MOFO.
pokey1168
QUOTE((*)(*) @ Apr 21 2006, 07:55 AM) *

There are a few test stations throughout the state. One at Vendenberg AFB. They are cardlocked and will only fuel E85 compatible motors and fuel systems.

The biggest issue on the Brazil cars is exhaust...they need to be stainless steel or they rust like a MOFO.

That's kinda what I had heard from some of the VW guys but alot of them just contibuted it to the climate/fuel combo....but none of us know for sure cuz we don't live there. smile.gif

I have heard that it causes quite a bit of corrosion in the fuel lines and filter when you first convert and that it is best to just replace the line from the tank back. Again no first hand knowledge yet. Our only station that I know of is on a VERY secure govt. facility. Not exactly the way I want to get mine.
bd1308
in Ky there is a test station in the downtown area selling E85, at 1.99 per gallon when the regular stuff was over 2.50 per gallon.

I *PLAN* to try to convert my 914 over to propane if the gas prices get WAY out of control, or might even focus on E85 development.

I wonder if any of this is in Jake Raby's plans....

b
Mueller
QUOTE(bd1308 @ Apr 21 2006, 02:40 PM) *

in Ky there is a test station in the downtown area selling E85, at 1.99 per gallon when the regular stuff was over 2.50 per gallon.

I *PLAN* to try to convert my 914 over to propane if the gas prices get WAY out of control, or might even focus on E85 development.

I wonder if any of this is in Jake Raby's plans....

b

have you seen the price of propane lately?? it too is going up in price so there will be no savings
TeamAxisRacing
price of fuel goes up no matter what tpe of fuel it is.. run on e-85 your going to have to run basically double the amount of fuel to make enough power. so 3.15 a gal for gas or 2.99 for e-85 at twice the amount
bd1308
what about diesel?

b
jd74914
can't do diesel in a conventional engine. there is no chance you would ever get the compression high enough to burn it without killig the original engine. diesel engines are some hugely beefed-up beasts (hence why they do build some huge ci engines with diesel blocks and such).
bd1308
Jake needs to build a diesel.

I'd be all over it.

b
Eric_Shea
Diesel's only $3.27 a gallon right now.
Brando
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Apr 21 2006, 05:52 PM) *

Diesel's only $3.27 a gallon right now.

Sweet, I'm only paying $3.39 a gallon.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.